Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 123

Thread: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    I agree with Justice Thomas' dissent. The majority opinion cooks up a novel theory of intentional discrimination that is too broad.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Why is honesty a bad thing?
    why do feel that's dishonest?...

  3. #63
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,710

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    I don't know which way I fall on this issue, but wanted to stop in to commentr on the fact that the a-hole CEO of AF looks like he has end-stage Garybuseyitis.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #64
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I don't know which way I fall on this issue, but wanted to stop in to commentr on the fact that the a-hole CEO of AF looks like he has end-stage Garybuseyitis.
    IIRC, he's the same tool who said publicly that he didn't want ugly people wearing his store's clothes. He's kind of a prick.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,859

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I do agree with that. I don't know how the court concluded that there was no knowledge requirement. Alito's concurrence there demonstrated well that there should've been. It makes no sense that a business can be held liable without knowing beforehand that something was a religious item or practice and the other party not making them aware of it.
    This quote from the article sums up the reasoning: "It means that if an employer thinks a potential employee needs a religious accommodation, than the employer needs to make a reasonable effort to accommodate; it can't reject the applicant and then plead ignorance, " he said.

    It's not like head scarves worn by a woman need a lot of explaining. If they had any doubts why this woman wore a hajib to the interview, a simple question clears it up.

  6. #66
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,710

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    IIRC, he's the same tool who said publicly that he didn't want ugly people wearing his store's clothes. He's kind of a prick.
    Yeah, same guy. And his desire was entirely ironic given his appearance:

    101258962-AP090113016787r.530x298.jpg
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    That is why questions were invented.
    your not allowed to ask those questions in an interview they are considered bias and lead to possible discrimination suits.
    just like you can't ask how old someone is or if they are married or have kids or anything else.

    So they were saying that Muslims should not wear their brand?
    wow strawman much I guess so.

  8. #68
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Why do I, as an employer, have to accommodate anyones religious nuttery? They came to my place of business looking for work, they follow my dress code. If they don't like it, they can work for you.
    So you don't believe in the free exercise of religion? Do you believe that an employer has the right to tell someone they can't wear a cross necklace or a yamika?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #69
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Really? Email Tom Brady and tell him he can play Monday Night Football with the gear but instead of the uniform just wear a t-shirt from home.

    How about telling fast food worker that they do not have to wear the uniform/shirt provided? A waiter at a restaurant requiring a tie can wear a belly showing shirt?

    Really?
    Your argument against the notion that the dress code is unreasonably restrictive is to give unreasonable examples that could be very easily restricted? I don't think you grasp the issues at play here.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    not wearing headgear is a perfectly reasonable standard of dress.
    You assert this without evidence. I dismiss it without evidence.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: SCOTUS rules in favor of Muslim woman in suit against Abercrombie and Fitch

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    your not allowed to ask those questions in an interview they are considered bias and lead to possible discrimination suits.
    You are allowed to ask ask just about anything. What you are not allowed is to discriminate.

    wow strawman much I guess so.
    Why? Isn't that the natural conclusion of a company that thinks that Muslim women wearing a scarf do not represent the image of the company?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •