Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 111

Thread: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

  1. #61
    Advisor catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Seen
    01-23-16 @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    363

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    I go to a huge high school in a southern state and even my most conservative friends identify as socially liberal. I often hear the phrase "I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal so I'm a libertarian". Despite them not know what a libertarian is, they line up on the left socially. The republicans need to change their stance on gay marriage and fast because they will lose a large portion of the young vote.

  2. #62
    The Unrepentant RINO**DINO
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    23,918

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The republicans need to change their stance on gay marriage and fast because they will lose a large portion of the young vote.
    They should change their perspective, but not because of the young vote. They should do it at the very least because the persons that are likely to vote, donate, and organize are increasingly becoming in favor of it. Young people have almost never made the difference for a Party. Liberals for a while tried to say that young people made the difference in '08 and '12, but there was substantial evidence mounted which showed that a lot of individual pieces fell together to make the difference more than young people. Young people are not good indicators for power shifts, in large part, because they do not vote. Liberals had to learn that lesson in 1968 and in 1972, and they will have to continue to be reminded of that in the early 20th century.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  3. #63
    Advisor catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Seen
    01-23-16 @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    363

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    They should change their perspective, but not because of the young vote. They should do it at the very least because the persons that are likely to vote, donate, and organize are increasingly becoming in favor of it. Young people have almost never made the difference for a Party. Liberals for a while tried to say that young people made the difference in '08 and '12, but there was substantial evidence mounted which showed that a lot of individual pieces fell together to make the difference more than young people. Young people are not good indicators for power shifts, in large part, because they do not vote. Liberals had to learn that lesson in 1968 and in 1972, and they will have to continue to be reminded of that in the early 20th century.
    Young people do have the tendency to get older.

  4. #64
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,584

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    A huge problem i see with American society today is its hidden unconscious bias towards retarded people, muslim people, fat people, ugly people, ghetto people, war veterans, even cops. Everyone can sense it. But hardly ever sees it. Until you start to read comments on the internet and realize this hidden unconcious bias exists in the majority of people and only the brave or one who truly doesnt give a **** lets it out.

    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  5. #65
    The Unrepentant RINO**DINO
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    23,918

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Young people do have the tendency to get older.
    But only carry portions of their political views over time and only vote once older. The Republican Party will adapt with the times, even if reluctantly. Young people will not be the driving force for that.
    "We all of us know down here that politics is a tough game. And I don't think there's any point in being Irish if you don't know that the world is going to break your heart eventually."-Daniel Patrick Moynihan, December 5, 1963

  6. #66
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,584

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    They should change their perspective, but not because of the young vote. They should do it at the very least because the persons that are likely to vote, donate, and organize are increasingly becoming in favor of it. Young people have almost never made the difference for a Party. Liberals for a while tried to say that young people made the difference in '08 and '12, but there was substantial evidence mounted which showed that a lot of individual pieces fell together to make the difference more than young people. Young people are not good indicators for power shifts, in large part, because they do not vote. Liberals had to learn that lesson in 1968 and in 1972, and they will have to continue to be reminded of that in the early 20th century.
    Only because old people cling to their archiac way of voting. We should all be able to put in our state ID and SS to vote from home and all sorts of options. Then old people would be left in the dust..
    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,438

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    We do?

    Skies fallin' huh?
    Read the news lately?

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,438

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    That's your test of intelligence? How long something's been around? You must worship the intellect of incestuous behavior then.
    strawman much? this proves how correct the statement is.

  9. #69
    Advisor catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Seen
    01-23-16 @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    363

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    But only carry portions of their political views over time and only vote once older. The Republican Party will adapt with the times, even if reluctantly. Young people will not be the driving force for that.
    I 100% agree with that. I'm just saying it's better for the republicans to adapt sooner rather than later.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Americans Continue to Shift Left on Key Moral Issues - GALLUP

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if it was realised and accepted that life-long coupling isn't 'normal' behaviour for all humans? Western society has made it the norm, or rather the expectation of it has become the norm. To me that's an unrealistic and an unhealthy norm to attempt to impose. The ending of a relationship is always going to be a difficult time in anyone's life, but the pervasive myth of 'till death us do part' is just that for a very large proportion of the population. To my mind the more 'moral' approach would be to make getting married a lot more difficult and a lot less profitable - no state-bestowed financial benefits should accrue - and divorce should be come a lot less stigmatised and legalised. As everyone knows, the involvement of lawyers practically guarantees an acrimonious, stressful and bank-breaking separation.
    Marriage as a norm is not limited to Western Society. Read up on the histories of Japan, China, Korea, etc

    Marriage is a natural human state

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •