Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 305

Thread: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

  1. #281
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,507

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    A small percentage? Small relative to what? If society wants 0 no knock wrongful fatalities,and 1 occurs that's 100% increase. What are u comparing that "small percentage" with
    Zero to 1 is not a 100% increase.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #282
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,676

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Is that a pun about how no-knock raids frequently involve killing people in their sleep?
    Nice reply - the irony was not lost on me, either!
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Your link doesn't work. But the response is still this: So? You are arguing the Republican roots are not in the anti-slavery movement. Obviously they are. The motivation of the anti-slavery roots of the Free Soil movement is irrelevant. Their motto was: "free soil, free speech, free labor, and free men” ... obviously authoritarians.



    No to the first part, yes to the second. They opposed slavery specifically in the new territories. They wanted free laborers, not slaves, in the territories. It was that anti-slavery stance that attracted abolitionists to the cause.



    No, contrary to your opinion, outlawing slavery is not authoritarian as the
    1. Free soil litterally means free land for natural American citizens, this is rooted in Anti-immigration and inflation. Anti-slavery was a protectionist policy for ameirican workers wanted to remain competitive.

    2. Authoritarian requires a bigger federal government, republican, authoritarian requires a state controlled monetary system, republican, authoritarian is taking peoples lands and giving it to certain industry, republican, authoritarian is limiting the ability of other people to practice culture, republican... I can go on and on. I'm not saying the slave owning democrats were any better, b particular to the anti slavery stance of the republicans is why the libertarian democrats flocked to the begining stages of the republicans, which was the purpose of the party. Guess what happened when the know nothingers and the massive Whig migration at the baby stages of the party? The libertarians went back to the democrats...

    3. That's if you think the Soviet Unions collapse was solely and directly related to the lieing foreign policy of the Reagan administration. The fact is, is that the rest of the world sees the collapse of the Soviet Union due to the economic fallacies of socialism and had absolutely nothing to do with Reagan or the neo cons. The Soviet Union collapsed because it is impossible to sustain itself.

    4. A. The policy manners of china have no concern to me at all what so ever

    B. Fixed exchange rates are a response to inflationary policies. This is a result of modern merchantilism through monetarism, which the United States is very guilty of

    C. I'll respond to your gold issue in two effects
    C.1. If Chinese people buy all the gold first off they would have to allow their currency to unfix itself to the United States dollar. Doing so, would immensely increase the value of the Chinese yuan. Then when the Chinese buy the trillion yuan worth of gold and then hold It out of circulation the United States then would start buying Chinese assets. Doing so, would benefit the consumer in the United States
    C.2. When the consumer benefits they will take the gold backed money and save it when they save they will eventually invest in more pronounce production, doing so would cause the Chinese investors to buy American reserves and then invest it in American companies which would eventually, in the Long run, create a monetary equilibrium of exchange rates where the central bank doesn't have the ability to devalue the currency

    5. It's not america doesn't have control of their currency, it's the central banks no longer have control of the peoples currency

    6. This is due to protectionist policies of international trade. We devalue the currency, force austerity measures, then bring in big companies like apple to pay with super cheap labor due to the austerity measure, then massively expand the export of the company causing it nearly impossible because the firm is operating as an "American company" while they have massive below market labor equilibrium, and massive protectionist policy to increase foreign sales... It's no longer competitive, not because the firms aren't competitive, but because the cronies in Washington, D.C. Have made elaborate ways to promote merchantilism

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Zero to 1 is not a 100% increase.
    0/1 to 1/1 = 100%

  5. #285
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,676

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Yeah, really. According to the OP's link, about 1/4th of the people shot were described as mentally ill. Then about 80% were described as being armed. A significant percentage of the rest were just dumb and refused orders to comply or were "unarmed" criminals who tried to grab the cop's gun.



    Then the odds are your boyfriend presents a greater danger. Cases of cops barging into homes in the middle of the night to assassinate innocent residents are rare.
    Huh?

    So we shoot dead the mentally ill? Well that justifies 25% of the killings, according to you!

    And it appears you justify shooting another segment, "because they're 'just dumb'"?

    And now, your equating the police (justifying their murderous activities, actually!) to abusive boyfriends?

    Wow! You've got the whole package, there!
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  6. #286
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,776

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    A small percentage? Small relative to what? If society wants 0 no knock wrongful fatalities,and 1 occurs that's 100% increase. What are u comparing that "small percentage" with
    Small fraction of a chance that this will happen to someone. Thus it is not something to get paranoid about.

    Im more worried about getting a mouse turd poisoned hamburger from McDonald's and contracting a fatal disease than I am worried about law enforcement storming into my home by mistake and slaughtering my family.


    Should we do more to reduce both of those chances? Yes. Nobody is saying that.

    But it is nothing to live in fear of.

  7. #287
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,776

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    0/1 to 1/1 = 100%
    Lets be honest though..... Increase in a commodity over a number that one desires (which is also not realistic) is a kind of stupid argument to make.

    So, because I want to win the 300 million dollar lottery, and I do win the 300 million dollar lottery.... I have received a 0% increase in lottery winnings?

    Think about what you are saying for a second....

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Lets be honest though..... Increase in a commodity over a number that one desires (which is also not realistic) is a kind of stupid argument to make.

    So, because I want to win the 300 million dollar lottery, and I do win the 300 million dollar lottery.... I have received a 0% increase in lottery winnings?

    Think about what you are saying for a second....
    Yes you receive 0 percent more then what you initially wanted to win, he said 0 to 1 is not a 100% increase and I said it is because 0 to .2 is a 20% increase 0 to .74 is a 74% increase and 0 to 1.0 is an one hundred percent increase.... Not that complex

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Small fraction of a chance that this will happen to someone. Thus it is not something to get paranoid about.

    Im more worried about getting a mouse turd poisoned hamburger from McDonald's and contracting a fatal disease than I am worried about law enforcement storming into my home by mistake and slaughtering my family.


    Should we do more to reduce both of those chances? Yes. Nobody is saying that.

    But it is nothing to live in fear of.
    I don't think I said let's live in Fear I said it's an issue we need to change

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    All of your arguments assume that only commodity prices are fluctuating given economy. Essentially all of your proofs require an economy locked in a form of stagflation where the cost of goods go up without an inflation in wages. This is not a common occurrence. The last time this happened it wasn't a "NeoCon" that caused it, either.



    False. You are fooling yourself when you say that "monetary value rests in the hands of the people" in a fixed currency system. In fact, monetary value rests in the hands of foreign governments in a fixed monetary system. To truly have a stable fixed currency you would have to pin the currency to a commodity that only has value to the citizens of that country which would dissuade foreign companies from manipulating the cost of the commodity on which the currency is fixed (which is also protectionism), but even if you were able to do that you would have created a currency that is essentially valueless in the world market.



    No, you are projecting. You asked for a difference between a controlled economy and a controlled currency and then defined them both as variations in currency control which is absurdly false.
    Commodity prices? It's capital goods or consumption goods... Idk what your argument about "commodity prices" especially since commodity is subjective

    2. Fixing a currency to a fiat system is worse then floating exchange rates because it gives more power to the central bank, fixi it to a tangible object will reduce credit expansion and induce savings backed investment... Which by definition is giving the power back to the consumers of a given society.

    3. Let's try to think about this, sorry I don't have a crayon to write it out for you in.... I asked for the difference between a centrally planned economy and a centrally controlled currency and you defined the differences of the functions of a system of socialism vs capitalism, but then tell me that since I defined them both as a variation of controlled currency I am absurdly false...

    Makes no sense, he fact is you have no idea so you can not answer it

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •