Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 305

Thread: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,270
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The no-knock thing is definitely a problem.... even I can agree on that one.

    However, its a small percentage (albeit growing) chance that this will happen to you. Nothing to lose sleep over.
    Is that a pun about how no-knock raids frequently involve killing people in their sleep?
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  2. #272
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,292
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    You take a country as vast and populated as the USA and break down those numbers... they are unfortunate don't get me wrong and I'm sure a number of those were probably not good shootings BUT.

    That works out to be 0.000001% of the population.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    13,476

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    You are policeman to the rest of the world. When your law enforcement **** with the law, we **** you too.
    For example? When has Singapore ever ****ed the US?

  4. #274
    Sic et Non


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,773

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    You take a country as vast and populated as the USA and break down those numbers... they are unfortunate don't get me wrong and I'm sure a number of those were probably not good shootings BUT.

    That works out to be 0.000001% of the population.
    In addition, the number in and of itself says nothing of how each shooting was adjudicated by oversight review boards and district prosecutors.

  5. #275
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,506

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Criminals will be criminals. We can, however, do something about what the government does. Big difference.
    That is an odd way of thinking. Police who shoot defenseless and nonthreatening citizens are also criminals. Criminals will be criminals.

    By vilifying police in general for the actions of a few you create an environment that discourages proactive policing, and you end up with the current murder sprees in Baltimore.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #276
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    05-15-17 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,397

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    For example? When has Singapore ever ****ed the US?
    Think of the ways you been ****ed by the rest of the world and they have not finished yet.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 03:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The no-knock thing is definitely a problem.... even I can agree on that one.

    However, its a small percentage (albeit growing) chance that this will happen to you. Nothing to lose sleep over.
    A small percentage? Small relative to what? If society wants 0 no knock wrongful fatalities,and 1 occurs that's 100% increase. What are u comparing that "small percentage" with

  8. #278
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,537

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Really?
    Yeah, really. According to the OP's link, about 1/4th of the people shot were described as mentally ill. Then about 80% were described as being armed. A significant percentage of the rest were just dumb and refused orders to comply or were "unarmed" criminals who tried to grab the cop's gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    What if your simply at home in bed in the middle of the night?
    Then the odds are your boyfriend presents a greater danger. Cases of cops barging into homes in the middle of the night to assassinate innocent residents are rare.
    Нава́льный 2018

  9. #279
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,506

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    1. Free soilers were against slavery because it was giving too much competition to labor. https://books.google.de/books?id=Tv_...ration&f=false
    Your link doesn't work. But the response is still this: So? You are arguing the Republican roots are not in the anti-slavery movement. Obviously they are. The motivation of the anti-slavery roots of the Free Soil movement is irrelevant. Their motto was: "free soil, free speech, free labor, and free men” ... obviously authoritarians.

    "Free soil" was a reference towards westward expansion for natural citizens, not slavery... Their stance on slavery attracted anti slave democrats, libertarians, who thought it was unconstitutional like Jefferson.
    No to the first part, yes to the second. They opposed slavery specifically in the new territories. They wanted free laborers, not slaves, in the territories. It was that anti-slavery stance that attracted abolitionists to the cause.

    2. My argument was that neocons are authoritarians which you just objectively proven, and then my counter argument was that republicans have always been authoritarians which I've shown to be true as well...
    No, contrary to your opinion, outlawing slavery is not authoritarian as the aggregate effect if an increase in freedom of the population. Regarding the anti-communist FOREIGN policy of the NeoCons, that also isn't "authoritarian" for the same reason. Ask Poland and the satellite states if they see the fall of the Soviet Union as a loss of freedom. If the goal of the NeoCons was to increase the freedoms of communist populations then can't be authoritarian.

    3. Because with an inflationary currency it makes it almost impossible to price cut internationally. The 10 million $ is an example, but the fact that they've monopolized themselves without any firms competing against them show us they are acting as a perceived duopoly. This is because of things like inflationary currency, subsidized exports, protective tariffs through inflationary currency. Not because of competition, they may have started as a competitive business but it takes state power to enforce duopolies and with an inflationary currency you don't necessarily need the state power, especially when you outsource. This is why it's almost impossible to compete with these mega companies. Have you ever studied exchange rate theory or monetary theory or subjective monetary value theory at all?
    False, in you own example the limitation of cost cutting between China and the US are the results of the actions of China, not the US. Regardless of the currency valuation chosen by the US China can always pin their currency to the US dollar and accomplish the same goal. You are essentially trying to blame the US for a foreign countries protectionism. Since you already assume that these foreign nations will change their own monetary policy to benefit their own economy, why not explain how a fixed currency protects the US against such foreign manipulation? I mean hell, when you go with a fixed currency penned to a internationally traded commodity all you have accomplished is to give the rest of the world control over the value of your currency.

    What happens in your scenario when the US pins their currency to gold, for instance, and China decides to by a trillion dollars in gold and take it out of circulation? They have effectively increased the strength of the US dollar. At that point they could flood the market with their own non-fixed currency, devaluing it and forcing the US into an import posture.

    So how if giving America less control of the value of their currency equal to greater freedom? (hint: It isn't)

    Your $10 million example is not due to monopolies, it is due to the realities software development. Software development is inherently long and costly work, and is completely impossible is not limited to a small list of hosting operating systems. By nature the industry will always congeal to a few big operating systems and a long list of losers. Your argument that the Government makes the Apple/Microsoft duopoly is simply absurd and demonstrates a functional illiteracy of way the computer industry functions. The number of viable Operating systems in the private sector is dependent on the number of platforms a software developer is able to program to successfully. At the moment that limit appears to be about 3.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #280
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,506

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    1. Obviously you have no economic backround in monetary theory. Us forces domestic prices to go up because they devalue the dollar. If I am selling an apple for 4$ in Japan and the market equilibrium rate is 3$, then I devalue the currency to make the value 2$in japan rather then 4$, I hold a competitive edge over Japanese apple market. In doing so, I skyrocket the price from 4$ to 6.5$ in the United States, thus making Japanese imports of rice which was valued at 5 yen import to jump to 8 yen import. Which makes it a tariff as well as an export subsidy. Doing so protects the production of American firms which lessens competition and where we have this loss of competition "deadweight loss" we create the perceived monopoly because all they need to do now is turn the demand curve inelastic by reducing production.
    All of your arguments assume that only commodity prices are fluctuating given economy. Essentially all of your proofs require an economy locked in a form of stagflation where the cost of goods go up without an inflation in wages. This is not a common occurrence. The last time this happened it wasn't a "NeoCon" that caused it, either.

    2. The only difference between a fiat currency and a centrally controlled economy is that a centrally controlled economy, I.e. Socialism, is the ultimate later stage of a fiat currency due to the fact that it is unsustainable. When monetary value rests in the hands of a few people, the entire purpose of the market becomes a cartel. This is literally what is happening to us right now, which is why we will always see more expansion on government
    False. You are fooling yourself when you say that "monetary value rests in the hands of the people" in a fixed currency system. In fact, monetary value rests in the hands of foreign governments in a fixed monetary system. To truly have a stable fixed currency you would have to pin the currency to a commodity that only has value to the citizens of that country which would dissuade foreign companies from manipulating the cost of the commodity on which the currency is fixed (which is also protectionism), but even if you were able to do that you would have created a currency that is essentially valueless in the world market.

    3. You did not explain any difference in monetary value theory at all, you explained the differences of the functions of a market society and a socialist society, not the differences of a central controlled monetary system and a central controlled economic system
    No, you are projecting. You asked for a difference between a controlled economy and a controlled currency and then defined them both as variations in currency control which is absurdly false.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •