Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 305

Thread: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

  1. #101
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    They would be contesting an illegal arrest or search. But moreso, they wouldn't be. Because public defenders have many times as many cases than they have time to work on, and so our criminal justice system is largely a plea bargain factory for incarcerating poor people who can't actually afford to defend themselves in a fair trial. And because poor people can't afford attorneys to press civil suits, so there's no one else to do it.I'll be sure to remember this post the next time you comment about people on welfare, or someone of a different race or religion than you. Since you aren't those people, you have no basis to make claims about them.Or maybe we have objective facts, studies, and statistics about things and the plural of anecdote is never data. So regardless of what you feel is correct based on your own experiences, they have nothing to do with the greater world around you.

    Applies to the middle class as well. Most people of middle class means can't afford to defend themselves at trial either.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #102
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    22,664

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    They would be contesting an illegal arrest or search. But moreso, they wouldn't be. Because public defenders have many times as many cases than they have time to work on, and so our criminal justice system is largely a plea bargain factory for incarcerating poor people who can't actually afford to defend themselves in a fair trial. And because poor people can't afford attorneys to press civil suits, so there's no one else to do it.I'll be sure to remember this post the next time you comment about people on welfare, or someone of a different race or religion than you. Since you aren't those people, you have no basis to make claims about them.Or maybe we have objective facts, studies, and statistics about things and the plural of anecdote is never data. So regardless of what you feel is correct based on your own experiences, they have nothing to do with the greater world around you.
    Well, I guess if you want to remember it, that is your choice.

    In the mean time, perhaps the "we" you refer to can step up and supply those objective facts, studies, and statistics about the entirety of the "poor black" experience you seem to be an expert with.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  3. #103
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,833

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Surely the question you should be asking is not " why are police officers shooting so many people"? but instead " why are your Police being put In these situations more and more often"?

    Is this stat more a reflection on how much more violent America has become rather than how much more violent the police have become?
    This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years. (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #104
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    At least the ones in Baltimore are free to be fully armed!
    The criminals? Their victims? Or the innocent bystanders?

    Latest victim was a mid-forties gentleman, five children, sitting on his porch passing time with his niece. Not exactly someone who should need to be armed.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,527

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Surely the question you should be asking is not " why are police officers shooting so many people"? but instead " why are your Police being put In these situations more and more often"?

    Is this stat more a reflection on how much more violent America has become rather than how much more violent the police have become?
    I'm guessing more likely these incidents have gone on for decades and are just now seeing the light of day because everyone has a camera now.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #106
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,607

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And what about the other 20%? Don't you think that the government killing 20% of the citizenry is a problem?
    The government is killing 20% of its citizenry?? Really??? And are you really that nave to believe that an unarmed man cant pose a lethal threat? Perhaps you are referring to that "gentle giant" in Fergusson who was just out for a Sunday stroll when he was gunned down by that racist cop. Tell you what, you become a cop and show the other cops how to do their jobs so as not to offend liberal sensibilities.

    I find it nothing but amusing that the same people who claim to have been afraid of "Obama's death panels" are totally ok with the police killing hundreds of people. Is it ok as long as they're potentially Democratic voters?
    I don't know what that has to do with anything, but if you agree that the criminal element of society is made up of liberals, then get your people under control and stop blaming cops for doing their jobs.

  7. #107
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,522

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The criminals? Their victims? Or the innocent bystanders?

    Latest victim was a mid-forties gentleman, five children, sitting on his porch passing time with his niece. Not exactly someone who should need to be armed.
    All of them!

    Oh, unless you're somehow poor or something. Then the police are fully justified in killing you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  8. #108
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,783

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    The first one was a split second judgement call, not police malice, it was avoidable in that someone neglected to teach Tamir Rice that it's a bad idea to point replica guns at people.

    The second one was an overreaction but incredibly rare. There was also a situation there where a 911 called made a 100% bogus call to get a response. The little wimp who called the cops should've been charged with a Felony level offense and made an example of to other potential swatters.

    Those are two out of a thousand, exceptions that prove the rule
    It is no rule, and the first example would mean that shooting children with toy guns is acceptable.

    I would say nearly every boy from the age of 6 to 14 has played with toy guns, and has pointed them at someone. According to you, the police are justified in shooting every boy that has done so.

    Like everyone one, the police have to be held accountable for their actions, and if they kill someone without justification, they should be held to the same laws that others are held to. The three examples I posted are all not justifiable, and the police involved should be punished for at least manslaughter or attempted manslaughter
    Conservatives believe the government is incompetent, and seek to elect people who will prove it
    Ignorance is Bliss Bliss is the same as happiness US Christian conservatives are the happiest in the US according to studies Do you see a connection?

  9. #109
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,553

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And what about the other 20%? Don't you think that the government killing 20% of the citizenry is a problem?

    I find it nothing but amusing that the same people who claim to have been afraid of "Obama's death panels" are totally ok with the police killing hundreds of people. Is it ok as long as they're potentially Democratic voters?
    20% of the citizenry would be about 60 million people. I think you must mean 20% of the people who were shot were not carrying weapons.

    When you stop to think just how quickly a cop has to react when it looks like a suspect is going for a weapon, that's really not so bad, is it?
    Its an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated. Donald Trump



  10. #110
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    28,522

    Re: U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    The government is killing 20% of its citizenry?? Really??? And are you really that nave to believe that an unarmed man cant pose a lethal threat? Perhaps you are referring to that "gentle giant" in Fergusson who was just out for a Sunday stroll when he was gunned down by that racist cop. Tell you what, you become a cop and show the other cops how to do their jobs so as not to offend liberal sensibilities.

    I don't know what that has to do with anything, but if you agree that the criminal element of society is made up of liberals, then get your people under control and stop blaming cops for doing their jobs.
    Don't these people have a Second Amendment right to be armed? Shouldn't someone be standing up for their rights? Where's the NRA?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •