Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

  1. #1
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 09:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,630

    Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    This year there was a tie for the famous national Scripps Spelling Bee: Vanya Shivashankar and Gokul Venkatachalam.

    These two youngsters, Indian-Americans, represent the consistent winners of the spelling bee, Indian-Americans. Furthermore, for those who decry the state of public education, these two youths are the product of our nation's public education system. Vanya Shivashankar and Gokul Venkatachalam - give 'em a big hand! They worked very hard. With the assistance and support of their families and the public education system, they won!!!! Congratulations!

    spellingbee_150528225250-spelling-bee-2015-champions-exlarge-169.jpg
    ________________________________

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,643

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    congrats to both of them.

  3. #3
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 08:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    I'd like to think that I'd have been a better speller if I'd started out with a last name that challenging.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  4. #4
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    This year there was a tie for the famous national Scripps Spelling Bee: Vanya Shivashankar and Gokul Venkatachalam.

    These two youngsters, Indian-Americans, represent the consistent winners of the spelling bee, Indian-Americans. Furthermore, for those who decry the state of public education, these two youths are the product of our nation's public education system. Vanya Shivashankar and Gokul Venkatachalam - give 'em a big hand! They worked very hard. With the assistance and support of their families and the public education system, they won!!!! Congratulations!

    spellingbee_150528225250-spelling-bee-2015-champions-exlarge-169.jpg
    Truly amazing. Those 2 are going to go very far in life.

    Congratulations to them and their families.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #5
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 09:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,630

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Truly amazing. Those 2 are going to go very far in life.

    Congratulations to them and their families.
    Yes, they will. They're very smart. The girl - the bee is a tradition in their family. Her older sister, who is in college now, had entered a number of times, and I think won. It goes to show you how parental involvement is crucial in education. This young girl's family was all in on this. Grandma drilled her for hours on end. Her parents expcted her to continue her sister's tradition of entering the bee, and studying hard for it.

    A proud papa:
    Spelling Bee Final_9.jpg
    ________________________________

  6. #6
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    34,274

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Truly amazing. Those 2 are going to go very far in life.

    Congratulations to them and their families.
    is there any indication that spelling bee winners attain substantial success in life?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?
    I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz. ~ Senator Al Franken

  7. #7
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,771

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    My congrats to both of them as well. But let's not kid the troops here and overlook the amount of time each of these contestants are forced to spend daily reviewing random words in the dictionary. It's an obsession with some parents and it's not surprising that recent winners may have been Indian-Americans as ethnic internal competition can be fierce in some cultures.

    Balance and a well rounded education makes the best foundation for balanced and well rounded future citizens who aren't obsessed with "winning".
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,876

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    is there any indication that spelling bee winners attain substantial success in life?
    Here's one answer: Scripps National Spelling Bee: What happens to the winners later in life?

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Yes, they will. They're very smart. The girl - the bee is a tradition in their family. Her older sister, who is in college now, had entered a number of times, and I think won. It goes to show you how parental involvement is crucial in education. This young girl's family was all in on this. Grandma drilled her for hours on end. Her parents expcted her to continue her sister's tradition of entering the bee, and studying hard for it.

    A proud papa:
    Spelling Bee Final_9.jpg
    Love that picture! He is beaming with pride, as he should be.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #10
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    Re: Tied Winners of the Scripps Spelling Bee - the face of America

    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •