Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 151

Thread: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

  1. #31
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    07-29-17 @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,397

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    You think so? Which phrases were you referring to?
    Check it out. China won't be cowed. If he wants chaos China is ready for it.

  2. #32
    Advisor John V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    China
    Last Seen
    07-19-15 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Neither are new players regarding US intervention either. Neither are new regarding threataning war on the US, of threatening nuclear war on the US, of attacking the US economy, of threatening US alies so as to goad us into unessecary conflicts, of supporting our enemies, of hacking US government servers.....

    The US and China are not new in any respect. If anyone's new, it's the US.
    1. Neither Russia or China have challenged the U.S. previously with nuclear strikes as far as Iím aware.

    2. Again, links please to your dates on China and Russia threatening the U.S.

    3. Are you aware that the U.S. is in debt to China for over a trillion dollars? If China recalled its loans, the U.S. economy would probably go bankrupt tomorrow.

    4. The U.S. is itself involved in hacking, (Read up on what whistle blowers like Snowden told you). All major powers engage in espionage, propaganda and subversion.
    Google

    5. The U.S. is ''new'' in what respect?

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,321

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by John V View Post
    Yes, I agree. Somehow these big three need to sit down together and have a good talk, learn to cooperate but that’s going to be a bitter pill for the U.S. to swallow and accept that it’s no longer the dominant lone moral guardian in the world. Britain had to go through the same transition when it lost its Empire. Together, the big three in cooperation could probably succeed in the war on terror much better than the U.S. trying to keep its dominant status.
    The thing is that the cooperative games need rules that cannot be broken. So sitting down and talking might be able to slow the slide into war for a while. But it isn't really a question of the three. Increasingly more great powers are arriving to the level of potential combatants of serious danger. Even a middle power like Pakistan or Iran are grave dangers to human existence, if nuclearly armed. And we are seeing the number of nations in this category grow. In 25 years plus minus there will be at least a dozen or more. Some of them are the countries BTW that China is presently pressuring about the islands. This is not a question midterm of enmity between the USA and Russia or China or their elbowing in on the security structure the USA had been upholding. It is transformation from a system with a relatively stable solution to one that has no such stability.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,321

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by John V View Post
    1. Neither Russia or China have challenged the U.S. previously with nuclear strikes as far as I’m aware.

    2. Again, links please to your dates on China and Russia threatening the U.S.

    3. Are you aware that the U.S. is in debt to China for over a trillion dollars? If China recalled its loans, the U.S. economy would probably go bankrupt tomorrow.

    4. The U.S. is itself involved in hacking, (Read up on what whistle blowers like Snowden told you). All major powers engage in espionage, propaganda and subversion.
    Google

    5. The U.S. is ''new'' in what respect?
    Russia informed Denmark, I think it was, that their boats would be targets for nuclear attack, if they participate in the missile defense system. As far as I remember the Russian strategy papers are quite clear on nuclear weapons' use. But it seems child like to squabble on this point. The fact is quite obvious as is it unquestioned that the USA will use nukes under certain circumstances.

  5. #35
    Advisor John V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    China
    Last Seen
    07-19-15 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Russia informed Denmark, I think it was, that their boats would be targets for nuclear attack, if they participate in the missile defense system. As far as I remember the Russian strategy papers are quite clear on nuclear weapons' use. But it seems child like to squabble on this point. The fact is quite obvious as is it unquestioned that the USA will use nukes under certain circumstances.
    I think what Russia warned Denmark about is if it joined NATO’s defence system, it would itself become a target if hostilities escalated and not that it would attack Denmark if it joined.

    Yes, more and more want nuclear power, but the U.S. can’t intervene in North Korea because that would involve China and China can’t intervene in Pakistan because that would involve the U.S.
    My point was that if the big three joined in cooperation, this could be halted by mutual agreement instead of antagonising each other and everyone drawing ‘red lines’, daring and prodding each other. I personally think that's unlikely to happen and so although the U.S. is prepared to use WMD's, the danger now is that so are others.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by John V View Post
    Yes, I agree. Somehow these big three need to sit down together and have a good talk, learn to cooperate but thatís going to be a bitter pill for the U.S. to swallow and accept that itís no longer the dominant lone moral guardian in the world. Britain had to go through the same transition when it lost its Empire. Together, the big three in cooperation could probably succeed in the war on terror much better than the U.S. trying to keep its dominant status.
    It doesn't have to be viewed that way. Why not see it as a relief, a little help. Spread the weight, expense and responsibility around a little bit. Free the US up to focus on MUCH NEEDED domestic attentions!!!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #37
    Advisor John V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    China
    Last Seen
    07-19-15 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It doesn't have to be viewed that way. Why not see it as a relief, a little help. Spread the weight, expense and responsibility around a little bit. Free the US up to focus on MUCH NEEDED domestic attentions!!!
    Yes, it would be an ideal situation, but that means the U.S. loses its dominance. Russia and China have already suggested cooperation, but at the moment it’s America that won’t back down.
    I’m a newbie and don’t want to be savaged at this early stage , but I’ll put out some opinions. Although it deviates from the thread topic, it does concern America’s role in assuming responsibility in world affairs.

    America has brought on itself the problems it now faces.
    You can’t change centuries old cultures by invasions.
    You can’t wander around the world removing dictators such as Saddam and Gaddafi who held potentially explosive countries together and wonder why it unleashed a Pandora’s box of nightmares.
    You can’t enforce a system of democracy on those that don’t want it using moral relativism.

    Look at the countries that have had invasions, regimes changes, Arab springs and ‘strategic surgical strikes’ (a polite euphemism for a bomb on your head if you fail to comply) and you’ll smell oil. Pakistan is a hot bed of terrorism and Saudi Arabia, a known funder of terrorism, is an autocratic monarchy, arguably a dictatorship itself. Both comply with the U.S; Libya, Iraq and Syria didn’t; Russia and China won’t, can you see a pattern emerging as NATO moves its forces close to the Russian border and the U.S. considers sending the navy and air force to the Chinese border?

  8. #38
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by John V View Post
    Yes, it would be an ideal situation, but that means the U.S. loses its dominance. Russia and China have already suggested cooperation, but at the moment itís America that wonít back down.
    Iím a newbie and donít want to be savaged at this early stage , but Iíll put out some opinions. Although it deviates from the thread topic, it does concern Americaís role in assuming responsibility in world affairs.

    America has brought on itself the problems it now faces.
    You canít change centuries old cultures by invasions.
    You canít wander around the world removing dictators such as Saddam and Gaddafi who held potentially explosive countries together and wonder why it unleashed a Pandoraís box of nightmares.
    You canít enforce a system of democracy on those that donít want it using moral relativism.

    Look at the countries that have had invasions, regimes changes, Arab springs and Ďstrategic surgical strikesí (a polite euphemism for a bomb on your head if you fail to comply) and youíll smell oil. Pakistan is a hot bed of terrorism and Saudi Arabia, a known funder of terrorism, is an autocratic monarchy, arguably a dictatorship itself. Both comply with the U.S; Libya, Iraq and Syria didnít; Russia and China wonít, can you see a pattern emerging as NATO moves its forces close to the Russian border and the U.S. considers sending the navy and air force to the Chinese border?
    We agree John!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,667

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    While there are currently tensions between the U.S. and China related to China's assertive steps in the South China Sea, one should not assume that war is the only possible outcome, much less a likely one. As China is a rapidly rising power, it is testing its new place in the global balance of power. While risks exist, including that of eventual war, there are many other paths that can be taken. The tensions could just as easily lead to an informal de facto arrangement that reduces tensions on both sides under which each party has clear understanding of the other's needs and accommodates them. That won't change China's territorial claims, but it could lead it to take less provocative steps that are seen as posing a potential threat to free passage of shipping.

    Finally, for what it's worth, during my visit to China last year, the younger people in Beijing were particularly curious and open to the world outside China. The kind of suspicion that was written about in books during the 1970s was not evident in the younger people. Nevertheless, one should not naively expect China to cede its interests. No self-respecting country simply abandons its interests. Good management on both sides of the Pacific can allow the U.S. and China to collaborate where they have shared interests and effectively manage the areas of differences to avoid miscalculation and/or conflict. The parties are currently in the early stages of feeling their way through an area of differences.


  10. #40
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: China threatens nuclear war with U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    While there are currently tensions between the U.S. and China related to China's assertive steps in the South China Sea, one should not assume that war is the only possible outcome, much less a likely one. As China is a rapidly rising power, it is testing its new place in the global balance of power. While risks exist, including that of eventual war, there are many other paths that can be taken. The tensions could just as easily lead to an informal de facto arrangement that reduces tensions on both sides under which each party has clear understanding of the other's needs and accommodates them. That won't change China's territorial claims, but it could lead it to take less provocative steps that are seen as posing a potential threat to free passage of shipping.

    Finally, for what it's worth, during my visit to China last year, the younger people in Beijing were particularly curious and open to the world outside China. The kind of suspicion that was written about in books during the 1970s was not evident in the younger people. Nevertheless, one should not naively expect China to cede its interests. No self-respecting country simply abandons its interests. Good management on both sides of the Pacific can allow the U.S. and China to collaborate where they have shared interests and effectively manage the areas of differences to avoid miscalculation and/or conflict. The parties are currently in the early stages of feeling their way through an area of differences.

    A couple of things don. While I don't think that I've seen anybody suggesting that war between the US and China is the only possible outcome! What's concerning is that rhetoric on both sides rises to the point of irresponsible, with the appearance that there are no alternatives between doing nothing and going to war with China! Mulling around sending a larger naval presence to the SCS, along with Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, and China, who's navies are already out and about just seems to be a potential for "incident" in the crowded invironment.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •