Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 105

Thread: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

  1. #81
    User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    24

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Another wonderful family values politician....
    What a surprise.

  2. #82
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,738

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Another wonderful family values politician....
    if he had a relationship with a consenting adult, then he did no wrong ... even tho it was obviously important to him to hide the matter

    but if he was a teacher/wrestling coach and took advantage of a student, as cheech & chong would say "whack his peepee"
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
    Some presidents have think tanks and this one has a septic tank.

  3. #83
    Professor
    Citizen.Seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    01-24-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,967

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, those laws are crime-fighting tools. He intentionally evaded them. and, lo and behold. What have we here? Blackmail, extortion, tax evasion, accusations of child abuse. Had he just paid the guy and either paid the requisite gift tax OR given the guy a 1099, no harm no foul. Every business person in the United States is aware of those IRS regulations. Oh, wait if he'd done all that, his blackmailer would probably have come forward. Needless to say, everyone's in trouble now...
    They are ridiculous laws and to enforce them with such fervor on what amounts to technicalities is a hatchet job. It's got legs as a story since it involves the formerly piwerful and money with hints of sex or at least the implication. But the bottom line is it was his money, he can spend it any way he wants, and it isn't anybody else's business.

  4. #84
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,297

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Maybe conservatives shouldn't set the bar that high. After all, they're human... no?
    ..... Uh, yes. Being human and making mistakes, however, doesn't obviate the fact that they were mistakes. If it turns out Hastert did, in fact, sexually molest some kid, then it's not like we should collectively shrug our shoulders and say "well, everyone get's one screwup" or "well, we don't want to pretend like we haven't screwed up ourselves", the wrongness of the act is independent of the fact that he (and others) are tempted to it.

    Conservative Christians set the bar high recognizing that we are going to fail to meet it. That's sort of central to the belief system, in fact, the acceptance that we are sinners in need of a savior.

    My favourite is thinking that abstinence education is a perfectly viable way to curb unwanted pregnancies and the spread of disease. History has taught us otherwise. Yet the moralistic drumming from the Conservtive side still beats.
    There is evidence for both arguments of that one, and I've seen competing studies, both by groups with intended results. From the conservative/Christian perspective, however, the question of whether or not a certain percentage of teenagers are going to have sex is immaterial to the question of whether or not you should tell them not to. It would be like changing the "Don't Text and Drive" campaign to the "Hey, while texting and driving, try to make sure to glance at the road every few seconds" crusade.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    ..... Uh, yes. Being human and making mistakes, however, doesn't obviate the fact that they were mistakes. If it turns out Hastert did, in fact, sexually molest some kid, then it's not like we should collectively shrug our shoulders and say "well, everyone get's one screwup" or "well, we don't want to pretend like we haven't screwed up ourselves", the wrongness of the act is independent of the fact that he (and others) are tempted to it.

    Conservative Christians set the bar high recognizing that we are going to fail to meet it. That's sort of central to the belief system, in fact, the acceptance that we are sinners in need of a savior.
    Do you think "liberal" Christians set their bars low? But I understand your point and agree with it, just don't believe that setting high standards is a uniquely conservative or a Christian thing. What is a bit unique is conservatives often mix politics and religion and I have a low tolerance for that. I don't look to politicians wallowing around in the sewer of D.C. or my state house for moral guidance, and when people wallowing in the sewer start lecturing about morals or religion, I tend to ignore them.

    There is evidence for both arguments of that one, and I've seen competing studies, both by groups with intended results.
    But the overwhelming bulk of the evidence is that abstinence only programs don't work.

    From the conservative/Christian perspective, however, the question of whether or not a certain percentage of teenagers are going to have sex is immaterial to the question of whether or not you should tell them not to. It would be like changing the "Don't Text and Drive" campaign to the "Hey, while texting and driving, try to make sure to glance at the road every few seconds" crusade.
    It's not that we shouldn't tell teens to not have sex. It's whether to inform them about ways to protect themselves and prevent pregnancy WHEN they do eventually have sex, which in 2015 means just about all of them before they are married. At the end of the day, sex education is about information, and in my view more and better and comprehensive, reliable information is better than ignorance on something so critical as sex.

    Besides, it's not like teens need a message to have sex (which sex education doens't do) - they are bombarded every hour of the day by our free market system - movies, TV, ads, Facebook, instagram, Youtube, etc............

    So in that context, it's more like changing the "don't text and drive" campaign to one that pleads with "Don't Text!!" period, when we know that nearly all teenagers have or will have smart phones and will text.

  6. #86
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    21,606

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I have no idea what happened, but what exactly is illegal about what Hastert did? He was a fool to lie to the FBI, but what is wrong with giving someone your money?

    He should have told the FBI to pound sand, along with any other authority.

    Unfortunately, the fool tried to bury something he should have come clean with.
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  7. #87
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Last Seen
    03-06-17 @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    50

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    THere are different kinds of conservatives in the U.S. The social conservatives want to enforce their morality by force of law.
    Bingo! By the way, while we are at it, when the government mandates you giving a reason for a large cash withdrawal, that proves the over criminalization of this country.

  8. #88
    Guru
    Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,992

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen.Seven View Post
    They are ridiculous laws and to enforce them with such fervor on what amounts to technicalities is a hatchet job. It's got legs as a story since it involves the formerly piwerful and money with hints of sex or at least the implication. But the bottom line is it was his money, he can spend it any way he wants, and it isn't anybody else's business.
    He certainly can. All he had to do was report it as the amount might be subject to gift tax not to mention money laundering.
    Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    Isaac Asimov

  9. #89
    Professor
    Citizen.Seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    01-24-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,967

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    He certainly can. All he had to do was report it as the amount might be subject to gift tax not to mention money laundering.
    So, we have to prove we're not breaking laws when we spend our money? How is that not prior restraint?

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Hastert Case Is Said to Be Linked to Decades-Old Sexual Abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen.Seven View Post
    So, we have to prove we're not breaking laws when we spend our money? How is that not prior restraint?
    Like it or not, we have an estate and gift tax in the U.S., and if you give any individual more than $14,000 per year, you have to report the gift and potentially pay tax on the gift. Alternatively, it's income to the recipient - gift or income, both have to be reported to IRS. The disclosure rules are part of the laws this idiot took part in drafting, and strengthening after 9/11 with the Patriot Act, passed while he was Speaker. If he'd complied with the reporting requirements, he'd have been fine.

    Bottom line is he knew better. He has no one to blame but his idiot self who 1) apparently had sex with an underage person, 2) agreed to an extortion scheme, 3) didn't report the gifts, and 4) lied to the FBI about it.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •