Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 271 to 278 of 278

Thread: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

  1. #271
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I'm not arguing for or against him... but let him speak to his own position.
    He already has, and I refuted it, as have many others.

    there's absolutely no evidence of that being true at all...
    The only certainty is that economic sanctions have utterly failed to bring down the regime and liberalize the system. With normalization comes American money and tourism. The U.S. will have a stronger foothold in Cuba. More influence than before, and a potentially positive one. Trade and tourism are more likely to influence regime changes than isolation.

    This is an excellent article I would recommend everyone to read if interested.
    The Cuban Regime Is a Defeated Foe - WSJ
    Last edited by Lakryte; 06-10-15 at 12:53 AM.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #272
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post


    The only certainty is that economic sanctions have utterly failed to bring down the regime and liberalize the system. With normalization comes American money and tourism. The U.S. will have a stronger foothold in Cuba. More influence than before, and a potentially positive one. Trade and tourism are more likely to influence regime changes than isolation.

    This is an excellent article I would recommend everyone to read if interested.
    The Cuban Regime Is a Defeated Foe - WSJ
    the problem with that theory is ..capitalist liberal countries already deal with Cuba...such as Canada.
    over a million Canadians travel to Cuba for tourism....and yet nothign changes in Cuba.. it's still oppressive, the govt still owns everything, and they are immune to influences.
    Canada trades with Cuba, and yet Cuba still remains the Cuba we all know.

    there's no evidence that a capitalist or liberal presence can or will result in a positive changes.... the opposite has been proven.... it's wishful thinking.

    I'm tellin' ya, as long as the Castro clan is in power, ain't **** gonna change.... they are thoroughly invested in remaining a kleptomaniacal oppressive marxist dictatorship.

    but i'm a reasonable guy.... if Fidel drags his sorry ass in front of me, bends down on all 4's , and allows me to put a ****ing bullet through his diseased ****ing brain housing group... I'll support normalization 100%, no questions asked.
    it ain't political for me... it's personal.

  3. #273
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    the problem with that theory is ..capitalist liberal countries already deal with Cuba...such as Canada.
    over a million Canadians travel to Cuba for tourism....and yet nothign changes in Cuba.. it's still oppressive, the govt still owns everything, and they are immune to influences.
    Canada trades with Cuba, and yet Cuba still remains the Cuba we all know.

    there's no evidence that a capitalist or liberal presence can or will result in a positive changes.... the opposite has been proven.... it's wishful thinking.

    I'm tellin' ya, as long as the Castro clan is in power, ain't **** gonna change.... they are thoroughly invested in remaining a kleptomaniacal oppressive marxist dictatorship.

    but i'm a reasonable guy.... if Fidel drags his sorry ass in front of me, bends down on all 4's , and allows me to put a ****ing bullet through his diseased ****ing brain housing group... I'll support normalization 100%, no questions asked.
    it ain't political for me... it's personal.
    How far do you extend this logic of "we shouldnt have relations with authoritarian regimes"?


  4. #274
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    How far do you extend this logic of "we shouldnt have relations with authoritarian regimes"?
    personally, I'm in favor of barring relations with any oppressive authoritarian regimes.

    my personal opinion doesn't really jive with geopolitical "realities", though.

  5. #275
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    You're right. Our government doesn't care how murderous a regime is... as long as it supports our corporate interests.
    I'm glad you think that I am right, because I am. But it looks like you are responding to the wrong post, since I didn't say anything like that.

    But, you are on to something. Obama does seem to have a very high tolerance for other people's suffering.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #276
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    The only certainty is that economic sanctions have utterly failed to bring down the regime and liberalize the system. With normalization comes American money and tourism. The U.S. will have a stronger foothold in Cuba. More influence than before, and a potentially positive one. Trade and tourism are more likely to influence regime changes than isolation.
    Something doesn't seem to make sense here. The sanctions haven't brought down the regime (even though that is not the only purpose), so we should now lift them? And instead of having sanctions, we should now prop up the regime? Huh???

    Maybe we should do that with individuals too. If prisons are no reforming inmates, let's shut them down and help inmates become better criminals.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  7. #277
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    381

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    the problem with that theory is ..capitalist liberal countries already deal with Cuba...such as Canada.
    over a million Canadians travel to Cuba for tourism....and yet nothign changes in Cuba.. it's still oppressive, the govt still owns everything, and they are immune to influences.
    Canada trades with Cuba, and yet Cuba still remains the Cuba we all know.
    Trade with Cuba is very limited because of the Helms-Burton Act implemented by the US. The Helm-Burton Act includes such provisions like:

    International Sanctions against the Cuban Government. Economic embargo, any non-U.S. company that deals economically with Cuba can be subjected to legal action and that company's leadership can be barred from entry into the United States. Sanctions may be applied to non-U.S. companies trading with Cuba. This means that internationally operating companies have to choose between Cuba and the U.S., which is a much larger market.
    there's no evidence that a capitalist or liberal presence can or will result in a positive changes.... the opposite has been proven.... it's wishful thinking.
    You don't have any facts to support this.

    I'm tellin' ya, as long as the Castro clan is in power, ain't **** gonna change.... they are thoroughly invested in remaining a kleptomaniacal oppressive marxist dictatorship.
    Meaningless talking points. Go to Cuba. Talk to the people. Many support Castro. Oh wait, your "free" country will not allow you to travel to Cuba *snicker.

    but i'm a reasonable guy.... if Fidel drags his sorry ass in front of me, bends down on all 4's , and allows me to put a ****ing bullet through his diseased ****ing brain housing group... I'll support normalization 100%, no questions asked.
    it ain't political for me... it's personal.
    How can it be personal unless you actually lived in Cuba. I know you haven't because you have zero comprehension of the real history of Cuba.

  8. #278
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    381

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Something doesn't seem to make sense here. The sanctions haven't brought down the regime (even though that is not the only purpose), so we should now lift them? And instead of having sanctions, we should now prop up the regime? Huh???

    Maybe we should do that with individuals too. If prisons are no reforming inmates, let's shut them down and help inmates become better criminals.
    How do you know that some criminals have not been reformed. In fact I'm willing to bet some have. Prison is not just used as a deterrent but also as a punishment.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •