Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 278

Thread: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

  1. #191
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,550

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No its not. Im using your reasoning and logic and applying to a country ran by a Communist Party who can also be said to have a police state. So whats the difference?
    No, you are not. You are twisting it to fit your argument, and that does not work with logic. You are trying to claim that we must deal with Cuba in the same way that we deal with China. Tell me, where is that written?
    But, it is a requirement to try and twist things and mislead in order to make an argument on the left.

    No. I am not for Free Trade. I'm simply giving reasons for openings.
    We choose how and who we trade with. I forgot, the word free does not mix well with socialism. Oppression, murder, dictatorship, that's where you are at with socialism.

    Again acting like the US gives a **** about these issues. Funny joke.
    It doesn't matter if we give a crap or not. What matters is what we want from Cuba, specifically, and what is in the best interests of our nation. Doesn't matter what we want from China or any other country.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  2. #192
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I proved you wrong on that. You proved nothing.


    you've proven nothing of the sort...you didn't even bother to read your own Wiki link on the matter.

    it's really not my fault you have little or no understanding of the qualitative and legal differences between State and Non-State actors... it really isn't.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post


    you've proven nothing of the sort...you didn't even bother to read your own Wiki link on the matter.

    it's really not my fault you have little or no understanding of the qualitative and legal differences between State and Non-State actors... it really isn't.
    Post something other than your opinion. Post something from my link that contradicts my link.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #194
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Post something other than your opinion. Post something from my link that contradicts my link.
    However, others, including governments, international organizations, private institutions and scholars, believe that the term is only applicable to the actions of violent non-state actors. Historically, the term terrorism was used to refer to actions taken by governments against their own citizens whereas now it is more often perceived as targeting of non-combatants as part of a strategy directed against governments.[10]

    Historian Henry Commager wrote that "Even when definitions of terrorism allow for state terrorism, state actions in this area tend to be seen through the prism of war or national self-defense, not terror.”[11] While states may accuse other states of state-sponsored terrorism when they support insurgencies, individuals who accuse their governments of terrorism are seen as radicals, because actions by legitimate governments are not generally seen as illegitimate. Academic writing tends to follow the definitions accepted by states.[12] Most states use the term "terrorism" for non-state actors only.[13]
    The Chairman of the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Committee has stated that the twelve previous international conventions on terrorism had never referred to state terrorism, which was not an international legal concept, and that when states abuse their powers they should be judged against international conventions dealing with war crimes, international human rights law, and international humanitarian law, rather than against international anti-terrorism statutes.[36] In a similar vein, Kofi Annan, at the time United Nations Secretary-General, stated that it is "time to set aside debates on so-called 'state terrorism'. The use of force by states is already regulated under international law".[37]
    Dr. Bruce Hoffman has argued that failing to differentiate between state and non-state violence ignores the fact that there is a “fundamental qualitative difference between the two types of violence.” Hoffman argues that even in war, there are rules and accepted norms of behavior that prohibit certain types of weapons and tactics and outlaw attacks on specific categories of targets. For instance, rules codified in the Geneva and Hague Conventions on warfare prohibit taking civilians as hostages, outlaw reprisals against either civilians or POWs, recognize neutral territory, etc. Hoffman states that “even the most cursory review of terrorist tactics and targets over the past quarter century reveals that terrorists have violated all these rules.” Hoffman also states that when states transgress these rules of war “the term “war crime” is used to describe such acts.”[39]
    Walter Laqueur has stated that those who argue that state terrorism should be included in studies of terrorism ignore the fact that “The very existence of a state is based on its monopoly of power. If it were different, states would not have the right, nor be in a position, to maintain that minimum of order on which all civilized life rests.”[40] Calling the concept a “red herring” he stated: “This argument has been used by the terrorists themselves, arguing that there is no difference between their activities and those by governments and states. It has also been employed by some sympathizers, and rests on the deliberate obfuscation between all kinds of violence...”[41]
    no country on earth, nor any authoritative body (UN, ICC,NATO,etc) recognizes State Terrorism as a legal doctrine whatsoever.

    when speaking on States in regards to terrorism, they are seen as sponsoring or supporting... no state is EVER seen as being a terrorist group or engaging in terrorism.

    the only time you even hear the term is when some radical lefty trots it out to use it in reference to the US...it's an informal usage( at best) , and most often based in the anti-Americanism so prevalent in radical lefties.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    no country on earth, nor any authoritative body (UN, ICC,NATO,etc) recognizes State Terrorism as a legal doctrine whatsoever.

    when speaking on States in regards to terrorism, they are seen as sponsoring or supporting... no state is EVER seen as being a terrorist group or engaging in terrorism.

    the only time you even hear the term is when some radical lefty trots it out to use it in reference to the US...it's an informal usage( at best) , and most often based in the anti-Americanism so prevalent in radical lefties.
    We've already addressed why some people would have interest in not acknowledging the ability of a state to carry out terrorism. But they have and do, and pretending that they don't is convenient, but it's stupid, and doesn't change the fact that they have.

    What ridiculous thought processes, and no wonder the fringe right opposes statehood for the Palestinians.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    We've already addressed why some people would have interest in not acknowledging the ability of a state to carry out terrorism. But they have and do, and pretending that they don't is convenient, but it's stupid, and doesn't change the fact that they have.
    it's not "some people" .. it's every single county on earth and ever authoritative body.... and no, it is false to assert "they have and do"... they absolutely do not and have not.

    it is accepted legal fact that terrorism is a term used for non-state actors... period, end of story...far left radical anti-american rhetoric notwithstanding.


    What ridiculous thought processes, and no wonder the fringe right opposes statehood for the Palestinians.
    well, I can't help it if you believe it's a "ridiculous thought process".. but your beliefs mean nothing in relation to globally accepted legal fact.

    explain the relevancy of the "fringe right" or Palestinians...if you are capable.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    it's not "some people" .. it's every single county on earth and ever authoritative body.... and no, it is false to assert "they have and do"... they absolutely do not and have not.

    it is accepted legal fact that terrorism is a term used for non-state actors... period, end of story...far left radical anti-american rhetoric notwithstanding.



    well, I can't help it if you believe it's a "ridiculous thought process".. but your beliefs mean nothing in relation to globally accepted legal fact.

    explain the relevancy of the "fringe right" or Palestinians...if you are capable.
    You've been proven wrong on this repeatedly, why do you insist on further exposure? Btw, a state that sponsors terrorism, is a state committing terrorism.

    spon·sor (spŏn′sər)
    n.
    1. One who assumes responsibility for another person or a group during a period of instruction, apprenticeship, or probation.
    2. One who vouches for the suitability of a candidate for admission, as to an organization.
    3. A legislator who proposes and urges adoption of a bill.
    4. Christianity One who presents a candidate for baptism or confirmation; a godparent.
    5. One that finances a project, event, or organization directed by another person or group, such as a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sponsor
    Last edited by Montecresto; 06-06-15 at 03:40 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    You've been proven wrong on this repeatedly, why do you insist on further exposure?
    as you've utterly failed to provide any proof of your argument... go ahead with your "further exposure"

    I'll be waiting....

  9. #199
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Only in the minds of the feeble is there no such thing as "state terrorism", I provided links to the definition thereof. And, showed you that a sponsor is RESPONSIBLE for the person or group supported.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #200
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Cuba officially off U.S. terror blacklist

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    No, you are not. You are twisting it to fit your argument, and that does not work with logic. You are trying to claim that we must deal with Cuba in the same way that we deal with China. Tell me, where is that written?
    1.) No its exactly what I'm doing. You said the reasoning for Cuba on the list is because the are a "communist police state". So is China. Why isnt China? Why do we have diplomatic relations with them? If we are using the same reasoning for Cuba should it also not apply to another state that can be described as a "communist police state" as well?
    2.) Who said anything about something being "written"?
    But, it is a requirement to try and twist things and mislead in order to make an argument on the left.
    What?

    We choose how and who we trade with.
    Well no ****. Thanks for telling me the blatantly obvious.
    I forgot, the word free does not mix well with socialism.
    This petty political statement and reasoning have nothing to do with anything of sound reasoning or relevance to this conversation
    Oppression, murder, dictatorship, that's where you are at with socialism.
    Again: This petty political statement and reasoning have nothing to do with anything of sound reasoning or relevance to this conversation
    It doesn't matter if we give a crap or not. What matters is what we want from Cuba, specifically, and what is in the best interests of our nation. Doesn't matter what we want from China or any other country.
    So essentially your reasoning and logic for not establishing relations with Cuba is, "BECAUSE I SAY SO!"


Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •