Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

  1. #1
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,871

    Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Thieves find brazen way to steal identities
    Thieves find brazen way to steal your identity - CNN.com


    It's a crime so brazen that even police have been victims of the scheme.

    And it's so pervasive that prosecutors were surprised by the "tsunami of fraud that we have seen around the country," according to Wifredo Ferrer, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida.

    Unemployment benefits are issued as part of a federal and state partnership to provide money to people out of work. State payments are issued on debit cards or to a bank account.

    But criminals are capitalizing on that system by buying personal information stolen from places such as hospitals, medical offices, schools and retirement programs. They then log onto state websites and file for unemployment benefits. Since the priority is for states to get the money out quickly, they don't wait for an employer to verify the identity of the person applying for the benefits. Victims typically don't find out what's happened until their employer is notified that they are receiving unemployment payments.

    Federal investigators estimate the unemployment benefits fraud totals about $5.6 billion, which includes schemes where identities are stolen.
    $5.6 BILLION!

    Holy crap! That is insane. When the drug trade is no longer big...guess where the criminals will go.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,822

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Thieves find brazen way to steal identities
    Thieves find brazen way to steal your identity - CNN.com



    $5.6 BILLION!

    Holy crap! That is insane. When the drug trade is no longer big...guess where the criminals will go.
    The "drug trade" is a multibillion dollar industry. As in over 300 billion, how exactly is it "no longer big"? Anyways, your complete ignorance of the drug world aside, I hope you're not suggesting that street level drug dealers/wholesalers/middlemen are now becoming well versed in federal law and US bureaucracy so that they can steal private information. That's just... absurd.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #3
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,871

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The "drug trade" is a multibillion dollar industry. As in over 300 billion, how exactly is it "no longer big"? Anyways, your complete ignorance of the drug world aside, I hope you're not suggesting that street level drug dealers/wholesalers/middlemen are now becoming well versed in federal law and US bureaucracy so that they can steal private information. That's just... absurd.
    I said WHEN it is no longer big. I didn't say it isn't. You don't see it taking a huge hit if pot is legalized?

    It also wouldn't be that hard to steal private information. Google, trash diving, wallet theft, and so many other things. The question is...Who would buy it? We are talking about an industry that is made for organized crime.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,822

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    I said WHEN it is no longer big. I didn't say it isn't. You don't see it taking a huge hit if pot is legalized?

    It also wouldn't be that hard to steal private information. Google, trash diving, wallet theft, and so many other things. The question is...Who would buy it? We are talking about an industry that is made for organized crime.
    There is no way this is a serious post. When pot is no longer illegal, pot dealers will become well versed federal bureaucracy? That's almost as stupid as when Lutherf tried to claim that there were gang wars over quarter smokes in NYC.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #5
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,871

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    There is no way this is a serious post. When pot is no longer illegal, pot dealers will become well versed federal bureaucracy? That's almost as stupid as when Lutherf tried to claim that there were gang wars over quarter smokes in NYC.
    Is that what I said? Are you deliberately misquoting me? Or are you just not able to read well?

    Let me ask you a question so simple that kid could answer it:

    How intelligent do you have to be to get personal information from a garbage can?

    Oh. And just for good measure to show that your assertion that drug dealers are oafish morons:

    http://www.cnbc.com/id/101380837

    Just because you couldn't do it...doesn't mean that time and money stopped them.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,822

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Is that what I said? Are you deliberately misquoting me? Or are you just not able to read well?

    Let me ask you a question so simple that kid could answer it:

    How intelligent do you have to be to get personal information from a garbage can?
    You do realize that nowhere in your article there is mention of thieves getting information from a garbage can, right? This is people using legally purchased information, and then using federal bureaucracy to commit a crime, do you think this is something done by pushers, middlemen or wholesalers?

    When pot is no longer legal, drug dealers will simply move on to other drugs which remain illegal (you know, blow, ice etc). The profits from that alone far exceed the profits from this crime. Look, we can beat around the bush and you can try and wiggle yourself out of your absurd statements or you can continue this absurd argument where people suddenly switch into new forms of crime that are completely alien to their criminal careers. Your choice.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,871

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You do realize that nowhere in your article there is mention of thieves getting information from a garbage can, right? This is people using legally purchased information, and then using federal bureaucracy to commit a crime, do you think this is something done by pushers, middlemen or wholesalers?

    When pot is no longer legal, drug dealers will simply move on to other drugs which remain illegal (you know, blow, ice etc). The profits from that alone far exceed the profits from this crime. Look, we can beat around the bush and you can try and wiggle yourself out of your absurd statements or you can continue this absurd argument where people suddenly switch into new forms of crime that are completely alien to their criminal careers. Your choice.


    Do you know how identity theft works?

    http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...7/03/12178677/

    Stolen from the trash.

    Again. You think gangs are going to scoff at 5.6 billion? Especially if marijuana gets shut down? What % is pot of the drug trade? Hm?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,822

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Do you know how identity theft works?

    Check your trash to protect against identity theft

    Stolen from the trash.

    Again. You think gangs are going to scoff at 5.6 billion? Especially if marijuana gets shut down? What % is pot of the drug trade? Hm?
    Utter nonsense regurgitated by people who don't know anything about drugs or identity theft. Two entirely different demographics:

    The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) makes over 30,000 arrests each year related to the sales and distribution of illegal narcotics.
    •Over 32 percent of all inmates in state prisons in the United States were either under the influence of drugs or in possession of drugs when arrested (that number is above 25 percent for federal prison inmates).
    •Drug trafficking in Mexico is a business worth over $50 billion per year.
    •It is believed that the loss of the drug trafficking industry in Mexico would cause that country’s economy to shrink by over 63 percent.
    •Illicit drug use is associated with several leading causes of death in the United States, including suicide, homicide, motor-vehicle injury, HIV infection, pneumonia, violence, mental illness and hepatitis.
    •There are over 4,400 DEA officers currently working full time in divisions dedicated to fighting drug sales and drug trafficking across the United States.
    •In 2008, the DEA seized the following amounts of drugs within the borders of the United States:
    The best part is your own article even discusses that these gangs aren't even in the US. So what do we have? You claiming that when illegal drugs are no longer a big business (laughable really) they'll just switch to identity fraud. That ignores the fact that even legalized drugs are big business AND that you think that the average street level drug dealer in Baltimore will suddenly become well versed in federal bureaucracy to make less money than he would selling all of the other drugs will remain illegal (and expensive) well after marijuana is legalized.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 05-28-15 at 01:50 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #9
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,871

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Utter nonsense regurgitated by people who don't know anything about drugs or identity theft. Two entirely different demographics:



    The best part is your own article even discusses that these gangs aren't even in the US. So what do we have? You claiming that when illegal drugs are no longer a big business (laughable really) they'll just switch to identity fraud. That ignores the fact that even legalized drugs are big business AND that you think that the average street level drug dealer in Baltimore will suddenly become well versed in federal bureaucracy to make less money than he would selling all of the other drugs will remain illegal (and expensive) well after marijuana is legalized.
    Your ASSumption is that you need to know federal law to steal an identity. Do you know how stupid that is?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    40,822

    Re: Thieves Find Brazen Way to Steal Identities

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Your ASSumption is that you need to know federal law to steal an identity. Do you know how stupid that is?
    From your source:

    But criminals are capitalizing on that system by buying personal information stolen from places such as hospitals, medical offices, schools and retirement programs. They then log onto state websites and file for unemployment benefits. Since the priority is for states to get the money out quickly, they don't wait for an employer to verify the identity of the person applying for the benefits. Victims typically don't find out what's happened until their employer is notified that they are receiving unemployment payments.
    It's almost like... they'd have to have a particular set of skills and knowledge to commit this crime. So I'll ask again, do you think the average HS drop out who sells meth in Arizona is going to suddenly become well versed in federal law and the bureaucracy that comes with it to make LESS money than he would selling ice?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •