Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 279

Thread: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty[W:203]

  1. #61
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    How do you get that from what I wrote? Can you not read and understand simple English? I oppose the death penalty. There is no reasonable way to conclude from that statement that I oppose the criminal justice system generally.
    Your argument is based on the fact that a judicial system can make mistakes.

  2. #62
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    41,816

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    As a death penalty opponent, generally*, I wouldn't, so long as the jury saw overwhelming evidence to convict! with very little deliberation, and in the jury room there wasn't a single juror who had to be drug along. We just don't get to have it that way. My opposition to the death penalty doesn't follow the hard liners that think two wrongs don't make a right argument. I'm concerned about false convictions, and innocent people being put to death, which has happened too frequently.
    Well nobody wants someone innocent put to death. Nobody would want a monster like I described to get off because some innocent dude died in his place.

  3. #63
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Because they are still alive and while alive the error of an improper incarceration is fixable.
    People who die in prison while being incarcerated innocently are generally not "alive".

  4. #64
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    41,816

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    The name of the group escapes me, but there is a group of lawyers that work pro bono, which since the discovery of positive identification by DNA continue to go back to old cases..........last I'd heard they had been instrumental in the release of over 100 prisoners serving life for crimes they ended up not to have committed!!
    You're talking about the "Innocence Project". That's as much a politically driven group as any.

  5. #65
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    41,816

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    People who die in prison while being incarcerated innocently are generally not "alive".
    The funny thing about the DP debate is that there is usually someone who opposes it that will say that life in prison is actually harsher. So doesn't that say that those of us supportive of the DP are actually more merciful?

  6. #66
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,091

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    Your argument is based on the fact that a judicial system can make mistakes.
    That's right. The judicial system can and does make mistakes. But it is also necessary. Given those two the only reasonable things to be done are are to build the system in such a way as to minimize the number of mistakes made, though they can never be completely eliminated, and minimize the cost of those mistakes that are made. Not killing people is just such a minimization strategy.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  7. #67
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,091

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well nobody wants someone innocent put to death. Nobody would want a monster like I described to get off because some innocent dude died in his place.
    Being in jail for life is hardly "getting off." And honestly talk like that sound to be more like revenge than justice.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #68
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,091

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    People who die in prison while being incarcerated innocently are generally not "alive".
    Yes it's essentially a slow death sentence but again it is preferable to actively killing them and leaves open the possibility of correcting the mistake. People do get exonerated decades after being imprisioned. That possibility is foreclosed, at least in anyway that's meaningful to the dead guy, once you kill them.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  9. #69
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 09:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    No purpose in the death penalty . Even with the pitiful tactic of trying to play on your emotions instead of logic . Sentencing someone to death Is not going to bring the victim back or erase the ordeal instead it is going cost the tax payers more and make the entire process of going to trial even longer not to mention that the possibility of conviction will be commuted to life instead of carrying out the execution .
    Guinea pigs are amazing furry creatures !!

  10. #70
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well nobody wants someone innocent put to death. Nobody would want a monster like I described to get off because some innocent dude died in his place.
    I wasn't suggesting that. Perhaps if you read all my comments in this thread, you'd understand my position more, which is admittedly nuanced.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •