Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 279

Thread: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty[W:203]

  1. #131
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yes, horrible people commit atrocities.

    Now please explain clearly for me why an individual carrying out murder against an innocent is bad, but the state executing an innocent person is good. Because when I try to see the common thread in those two thoughts, protection of the innocent doesn't seem to be it. No more bon mots or deflections: please address directly the issue of the execution of innocent people.
    So do you believe the death penalty was wrong in that case or not?

  2. #132
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Regrettable, but not something worth stopping? Why is the life of an innocent on the streets of higher priority than the life of an innocent on death row?
    Since people sometimes die in prison innocently, do you believe the best way to prevent this is to stop imprisoning anybody?

  3. #133
    Almost respectable
    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,384

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    Since people sometimes die in prison innocently, do you believe the best way to prevent this is to stop imprisoning anybody?
    So do you place the life of the innocent murdered on the street above the life of an innocent on death row? Is the protection of the innocent your objective, or is it the sense of justice you feel when an execution takes place? Because if it's the former then life without parole accomplishes that objective. If it's the latter, then your position is emotion-driven, and the need for someone to be executed results in the execution of the innocent. It certainly seems to be the latter, since you're trying like holy hell to deflect from the fact that innocent people are in fact sent to death row.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 05-28-15 at 10:59 AM.

  4. #134
    Agitate Agitate! Agitate!
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,802

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    "Welcome to Nebraska
    The Good Life (without parole)".
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  5. #135
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,049

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    No, those studies do not take into account all the possible legal court cases (on all sorts of matters) an inmate can bring while he is incarcerated for life. Nor do they take into account the cost of medical care for people who are 70, 80 or 90 years old.
    Actually it compares long standing trends in aggregate spending. Again, just saying so doesn't make it so. Now if you have some evidence, some data to back your claims, then by all means let's see it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #136
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50,829

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    pretty much what i said in post #14 and #17.

    getting rid of the death penalty altogether is dumb... and vastly improving it's application is a much better policy.
    Ahh, a bargaining chip. "Confess or we might kill you!" Wonderful plan. I'm sure that wont result in more innocent people being executed.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  7. #137
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50,829

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    No, those studies do not take into account all the possible legal court cases (on all sorts of matters) an inmate can bring while he is incarcerated for life. Nor do they take into account the cost of medical care for people who are 70, 80 or 90 years old.
    Yes they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,012

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    This is why I oppose the death penalty, this blind appeal to emotion.

    The Death Penalty costs money and the lives of the innocent. It's a costly and flawed system which is no longer necessary in today's society. We save money by not using the DP and we avoid all the negative consequences of it. Added to the fact that the DP provides nothing, not deterrent nor safety to society, over that which we get by having the base jailing system.

    This red faced vitriol spewed out by some is nothing more that emotional appeal to used a dumb and broken system.
    Emotional my ass! There is NO blind appeal to emotion! I could execute these scumbags as easy as stepping on a cockroach....no emotion whatsoever! You are wrong as it gets! It most certainly provides something....eliminating from the gene pool a flawed human that will never hurt anyone again, not an inmate, not a guard and no one else in case of escape.

    These scumbag criminals laugh at your naivete!

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Way to join the human race on this Nebraska.

    What BS! You don't know WTF you are talking about!

    You want to brag about how civilized we are? We aren't. Allowing pieces of **** to live is not civilized. You dopes want to make a difference? Lobby your reps to change the law and get rid of the red tape and hang em high, immediately after trial!

    Ohhhh ................and make it public!
    Last edited by MickeyW; 05-28-15 at 11:16 AM.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,049

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyW View Post
    Emotional my ass! There is NO blind appeal to emotion!
    You do realize the irony of this statement, yeah?

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyW View Post
    I could execute these scumbags as easy as stepping on a cockroach....no emotion whatsoever! You are wrong as it gets! It most certainly provides something....eliminating from the gene pool a flawed human that will never hurt anyone again, not an inmate, not a guard and no one else in case of escape.

    These scumbag criminals laugh at your naivete!
    This is meaningless, emotional drivel. Come back when you have a calm and rational argument.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #140
    Almost respectable
    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33,384

    Re: Nebraska Abolishes Death Penalty

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyW View Post
    Emotional my ass! There is NO blind appeal to emotion! I could execute these scumbags as easy as stepping on a cockroach....no emotion whatsoever! You are wrong as it gets! It most certainly provides something....eliminating from the gene pool a flawed human that will never hurt anyone again, not an inmate, not a guard and no one else in case of escape.

    These scumbag criminals laugh at your naivete!




    What BS! You don't know WTF you are talking about!
    Here are 329 scumbags released on appeal through DNA evidence.

    The Cases

    Here are 7 scumbags released on evidence other than DNA (obviously, exonerating people without DNA evidence is really, really hard).

    The Cases

    The Innocence Project is currently working on an additional 300 cases. As it is just the one organization doing this (that I'm aware of) and there is limited manpower, you can imagine there is probably something of a backlog. And the clock's a ticking.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •