Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 618

Thread: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South China

  1. #591
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,377
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    i've already explained how this is relevant. pay attention.
    You made a claim. It was without merit.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #592
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,085

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You made a claim. It was without merit.
    ok. prove that none of the tax revenue China collects from manufacturing and exports ends up being used to fund military expenditures.

  3. #593
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,377
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    ok. prove that none of the tax revenue China collects from manufacturing and exports ends up being used to fund military expenditures.
    Of course some Chinese tax revenue helps fund military expenditures. It's still irrelevant.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #594
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,085

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Of course some Chinese tax revenue helps fund military expenditures. It's still irrelevant.
    in your opinion, perhaps. in reality, no.

  5. #595
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,377
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    in your opinion, perhaps. in reality, no.

    China's economy and trading relationships are vast and numerous. They are not dependent on any single customer. Moreover, with the high priority they assign to military development they will find the money. Any decrease in U.S. trade might short change a new dam but it's not going to slow down missile testing. And then there's the command economy fail safe . . .
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #596
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,863

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    in your opinion, perhaps. in reality, no.
    Helix, I dont' think you're entirely understanding the true nature of a command economy. The workers are slaves of the state. Workers are units of production - not human beings as you and I think they should be. Yes, they do well when it's in the best interests of the state to allow it, but they'll be cast aside in an instant if the situation requires it from the state's perspective. Just remember the walls constructed to keep the westerners from seeing the rest of China during the Olympics, and you'll get the picture.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  7. #597
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,085

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Helix, I dont' think you're entirely understanding the true nature of a command economy. The workers are slaves of the state. Workers are units of production - not human beings as you and I think they should be. Yes, they do well when it's in the best interests of the state to allow it, but they'll be cast aside in an instant if the situation requires it from the state's perspective. Just remember the walls constructed to keep the westerners from seeing the rest of China during the Olympics, and you'll get the picture.
    reread the thread. i never argued that China doesn't have a command economy. i pointed out that shipping our jobs there and purchasing Chinese goods helps to fund their military.

  8. #598
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,863

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    reread the thread. i never argued that China doesn't have a command economy. i pointed out that shipping our jobs there and purchasing Chinese goods helps to fund their military.
    That would be true of any country's economic activity. If you and thousands of others decide not to purchase an Apple computer for the reason you mention, you will affect Apple, but you won't affect China's military funding. Now I agree that if everybody refuses to buy any Chinese products, China's military funding would be affected, but as you say, that's not realistic either.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  9. #599
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,085

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    That would be true of any country's economic activity. If you and thousands of others decide not to purchase an Apple computer for the reason you mention, you will affect Apple, but you won't affect China's military funding. Now I agree that if everybody refuses to buy any Chinese products, China's military funding would be affected, but as you say, that's not realistic either.
    well, if hawks can't even be bothered to purchase fewer Chinese goods, i have trouble believing that risking war over islands that even the hawks didn't know about a month ago is really worth it. same thing for the Middle East. they'll promote a US led war all day, but then if you ask them if they support replacing oil or paying more in income taxes to fund the war, they flip right the **** out. no thanks. the US has maintained a perpetual state of war for long enough. it's time to try a different strategy.

  10. #600
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,863

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    well, if hawks can't even be bothered to purchase fewer Chinese goods, i have trouble believing that risking war over islands that even the hawks didn't know about a month ago is really worth it. same thing for the Middle East. they'll promote a US led war all day, but then if you ask them if they support replacing oil or paying more in income taxes to fund the war, they flip right the **** out. no thanks. the US has maintained a perpetual state of war for long enough. it's time to try a different strategy.
    I prefer US made goods because they're of superior quality. The disputes over these islands have been ongoing, and I've followed it generally for some years - but only through press releases until recently. I'm not a hawk. I do believe that perhaps a show of resolve now could foster a just resolution of all the conflicting claims and avoid a potentially far more serious conflict later. Over half of the world's shipping passes through those waters. No single nation should control that water way. If we allow that - and by "we" I include all of the the nations directly and indirectly affected (which is huge) - then a far more serious situation may develop over which US influence will mean little. It will affect all of the Asian subcontinent and the western Pacific as well as the already inflamed ME.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •