Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 618

Thread: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South China

  1. #461
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    Vietnam is hardly a threat to China - a fundamental reality you fail to acknowledge. That doesn't excuse Vietnam, the Philippines, Japan or any other claimant for their actions - it's a simple recognition of reality. Those countries individually pose no threat to China. China has violated international law and settlements it originally agreed to - i.e., broken their word as a nation and acted in an aggressive manner to militarily assert rights it doesn't have under the 1982 conventions as well as other agreements.
    It's very hypocritical of you to accuse China of threatening, aggressive behavior for building military infrastructure on the islands, while being dismissive of Vietnam doing the same. And nobody seems willing to address the fact that Taiwan too has laid claim to ALL of the Spratly islands, which means, not only is Taiwan stepping on China's claims, but they're stepping on the claims of Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam as well!!!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #462
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    No. It's indicative of China's lack of respect for agreements which they sign and their intent to aggressively and militarily claim what they couldn't by convention. It doesn't speak well in support of your argument that China is the abused nation here. It appears to be the opposite, in fact. Lol, indeed.
    An argument from ignorance considering that you don't even know the extent of China's claims upon the archipelago, nor the extent of the others claims for that matter.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #463
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,844

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    Vietnam and China are long-standing enemies. The point is not that Vietnam threatens China but that it threatens what China perceives as its vital interests in the South China Sea, while inversely China clearly threatens what Vietnam sees as its vital interests there.
    All true. Much the same can be said for many of the other claimants in the area - they've all had disputes with China, and China with them over the course of many years. Various countries over the years have established or attempted to establish a military presence of such reefs and islands in the region during conflicts.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  4. #464
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,844

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It's very hypocritical of you to accuse China of threatening, aggressive behavior for building military infrastructure on the islands, while being dismissive of Vietnam doing the same. And nobody seems willing to address the fact that Taiwan too has laid claim to ALL of the Spratly islands, which means, not only is Taiwan stepping on China's claims, but they're stepping on the claims of Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam as well!!!
    And maybe you can tell me what the result of a military conflict between Vietnam and China would likely be. I don't dismiss the actions of any of the nations in the region, but I pay more attention to the elephant in that room. This is pure deflection on your part. China has clearly demonstrated contempt for the very agreements it's a party to as recently as 2012.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  5. #465
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,844

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    An argument from ignorance considering that you don't even know the extent of China's claims upon the archipelago, nor the extent of the others claims for that matter.
    What international body has determined that China's claims, however wonderful they might be, are valid? Besides you and China, which don't meet that requirement.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  6. #466
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    All true. Much the same can be said for many of the other claimants in the area - they've all had disputes with China, and China with them over the course of many years. Various countries over the years have established or attempted to establish a military presence of such reefs and islands in the region during conflicts.
    All very true and several of the claimants have created certain "facts on the ground". What sets China apart is the facts that it alone claims the whole of the South China Sea (I use this name for convenience sake - the name itself is a point of contention) AND has the capacity to actually put military muscle behind this claim. The military power of the Philippines is negligeable and While Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and other regional states do have serious military force, none of them can balance China in a real conflict, which is why they are all desperate to keep the US engaged in the region.

  7. #467
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    And maybe you can tell me what the result of a military conflict between Vietnam and China would likely be. I don't dismiss the actions of any of the nations in the region, but I pay more attention to the elephant in that room. This is pure deflection on your part. China has clearly demonstrated contempt for the very agreements it's a party to as recently as 2012.
    I don't want to contemplate a military clash between the two, and hopefully, there's enough objectivity to avoid it.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #468
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    What international body has determined that China's claims, however wonderful they might be, are valid? Besides you and China, which don't meet that requirement.
    What "international body" has ever determined that the US annexation (read: stolen by conquest) of the Hawaiian islands are valid? That finger pointed has three pointing back at itself!!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #469
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,844

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoVlaming View Post
    All very true and several of the claimants have created certain "facts on the ground". What sets China apart is the facts that it alone claims the whole of the South China Sea (I use this name for convenience sake - the name itself is a point of contention) AND has the capacity to actually put military muscle behind this claim. The military power of the Philippines is negligeable and While Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and other regional states do have serious military force, none of them can balance China in a real conflict, which is why they are all desperate to keep the US engaged in the region.
    China may well have the most meritorious claim to the Spratlys. There's little doubt the other players wish to keep us engaged. Our interest, however, is limited to acceptance of international law and maintaining free passage through the area. This is something we have historically done since our founding and we will continue to do it. It's not, as has been characterized here by some, China bashing. All of the overlapping claimed EEZ zones in the area are a problem, but China is the one nation making such a claim that can legitimately threaten that free passage.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

  10. #470
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,844

    Re: Beijing warns US: 'We will fight back' as battle of words escalates over South Ch

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What "international body" has ever determined that the US annexation (read: stolen by conquest) of the Hawaiian islands are valid? That finger pointed has three pointing back at itself!!
    The US claim to Hawaii is not in question here.
    "I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance." William Faulkner

Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •