Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

  1. #11
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,776

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    I think that maybe you spelled "senate" and "nepotism" incorrectly. ??
    Sorry, but what does this story have to do with nepotism?

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Sorry, but what does this story have to do with nepotism?
    "An employee who becomes related to his or her employing official may remain employed by the related official," the manual says.

    Its nepotism statute, however, bars Webber
    from receiving raises or promotions. She can get cost-of-living increases if they're applied across the board. Webber, who has worked in Cochran's office since August 1981, earns $140,000 a year, according to Legistorm.
    Cochran bride to continue as staffer

  3. #13
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,208

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    The defensiveness of this post tells me I pegged the intent of your first post perfectly. You acknowledge you didn't like the man and you don't like him now. You then created an unfounded allegation with no basis or proof, presumably your dislike for the man helped out there, but you're not being judgmental (wink wink) - got it.
    I'll be the first to admit I intensely dislike the man. The tactics he used in the last primary were disgusting, and completely divorced from the "man of honor" you suggest he might be. Men of Honor within the GOP don't race bait.

    He was living in the woman's house while his wife was living in a home. I think the preponderance of evidence on this one is clear.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  4. #14
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,776

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    It's not like nepotism got her the job, but going forward, the Senate rule keeps nepotism from happening.

    What exactly is your issue with this? Some old guy tragically loses his wife and finds love with a long-time assistant. As I recall, the assistant is a year younger than the elderly Senator so its not like he just found some hot 23 year old and gave the job to her.

  5. #15
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,011
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    I think that maybe you spelled "senate" and "nepotism" incorrectly. ??
    I think the words you're really looking for here are "feigned" and "indignation".

  6. #16
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,805

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I intensely dislike the man. The tactics he used in the last primary were disgusting, and completely divorced from the "man of honor" you suggest he might be. Men of Honor within the GOP don't race bait.

    He was living in the woman's house while his wife was living in a home. I think the preponderance of evidence on this one is clear.
    You can assume all you want, based on your dislike for the man. However, according to the article attached to the OP, the Senator was renting a basement apartment in the home owned by his aide. Can you point out your citation for this being a lie? It would be interesting, because then you would potentially have proof that the Senator was defrauding the American taxpayer by claiming an expense that he wasn't actually incurring.

    Perhaps you assume that every person who rents a basement apartment is having an illicit affair with the landlord or a tenant in another unit of the home. I have little reason to be as suspicious or dismissive of the man. I have even less reason to be suspicious or dismissive of a 70 some odd year old woman. From my limited experience, few septuagenarian women are harlots.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  7. #17
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,208

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You can assume all you want, based on your dislike for the man. However, according to the article attached to the OP, the Senator was renting a basement apartment in the home owned by his aide. Can you point out your citation for this being a lie? It would be interesting, because then you would potentially have proof that the Senator was defrauding the American taxpayer by claiming an expense that he wasn't actually incurring.

    Perhaps you assume that every person who rents a basement apartment is having an illicit affair with the landlord or a tenant in another unit of the home. I have little reason to be as suspicious or dismissive of the man. I have even less reason to be suspicious or dismissive of a 70 some odd year old woman. From my limited experience, few septuagenarian women are harlots.
    Nope - that is a strawman of what we are saying, and you are smart enough to know it. But I do think that the case for someone who has demonstrated themselves to be unethical, who stays at the house of their "aid" with whom reports indicate he is having an affair, whom he then marries less than a year after his wife dies is more in favor of that particular thesis than not.

    Nor do I think Senators get housing allowance. I could be wrong on that one, but I think that is one of the reasons why (for example) jr congresscritters often double or triple up on apartments in town and maintain houses in their districts.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  8. #18
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,805

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Nope - that is a strawman of what we are saying, and you are smart enough to know it. But I do think that the case for someone who has demonstrated themselves to be unethical, who stays at the house of their "aid" with whom reports indicate he is having an affair, whom he then marries less than a year after his wife dies is more in favor of that particular thesis than not.

    Nor do I think Senators get housing allowance. I could be wrong on that one, but I think that is one of the reasons why (for example) jr congresscritters often double or triple up on apartments in town and maintain houses in their districts.
    Not a strawman, in my view, just a practical question. And if there's no housing allowance for members of Congress, there's no public interest in the "arrangement". Perhaps you're right, but as I said, I don't know any elderly women of means - and a woman with a $1.6 million home in Washington, DC, isn't likely looking for a sugar daddy - who participate in long term illicit affairs. If they were in a sexual relationship, I'd say they did a pretty good job of keeping it private since I'm sure every tabloid and sleazy publication, not to mention the left wing media, would pay handsomely for any evidence of such a relationship.

    Innuendo and speculation don't cut it for me. As I suggested before, if you have citations proving your allegations, I'd love to see them and I'm prepared to admit I was wrong. Until then, it's just character assassination.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  9. #19
    Sage


    RAMOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,347

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    I grew up in MS, and remember when Mr. Cochran was first running for office there. I didn't really think much of him then, and I really don't like him now (I am - to the shame of my family in MS - a progressive, after all)...

    ...but when it comes to who does what with whom when the lights are out, I've stopped being too judgmental. Was he hypocritical by boning her while his wife was in a rest home? Sure. But you know what? We really don't know what goes on behind closed doors, do we? Same thing with Clinton - maybe he and Hillary hadn't done the nasty for years, and maybe that's why he decided to find new uses for cigars with Monica. But we don't know, and we shouldn't know.

    So I won't hold Mr. Cochran's family-values hypocrisy against him. I'd be quicker to condemn those anti-gay politicians who get caught playing with some other guy's one-eyed purple yogurt slinger.

    For that matter, his wife was 'gone' even though her body was alive long before her body died. That makes it 'his business, not mine'.

    Although, the fact his 'aid' who he married was making so much money might be nepotism.
    Knee-jerk anti-government sentiment is not a viable political philosophy.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi marries longtime aide

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMOSS View Post
    For that matter, his wife was 'gone' even though her body was alive long before her body died. That makes it 'his business, not mine'.

    Although, the fact his 'aid' who he married was making so much money might be nepotism.
    Maybe. But again, I don't see any reason to judge him on this matter. When it comes to extramarital affairs that are wrong and should be punished, I do agree that GEN David Petraeus deserved his punishment, for he did share operational details with his lover to which she should never have had access...and operational and information security is the primary reason why extramarital affairs are strictly prohibited by the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

    But then, that makes me a hypocrite if I excuse Clinton for his creative use of a cigar, because I personally believe that the Commander in Chief, whoever he or she is, should be subject to the UCMJ.

    *sigh*

    I hate these Gordian knots of ethics....
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •