Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 173

Thread: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Should we give Israel more aid?

    Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

    Israel reportedly wants the U.S. to increase its annual defense assistance package by half, to an average $4.5 billion. Defense News reported this weekend that Israel and U.S. officials have in recent months begun negotiations on the next 10-year aid package. The previous package, negotiated by the George W. Bush and Ehud Olmert governments in 2007, averaged $3 billion of assistance each year, for a total of $30 billion, from 2007-2017. The government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants that to increase to $42-45 billion over the 2018-2028 period, Defense News reported, adding that President Barack Obama during his March 2013 visit to Israel “endorsed in principle” that range.

    Defense News quotes “U.S. and Israeli experts” as saying that the amount would be separate from any package the United States offered Israel as compensation for the Iran nuclear deal now being negotiated between Iran and the major powers. Like the defense assistance package currently in place, it is also separate from the $1.2 billion in materiel the United States stores in Israel and which under certain conditions is available for Israeli use, and from the approximately $500 million in U.S. funds provided to Israeli anti-missile development each year.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Hell no!! No ****ing way. Lets cut it back by 50%
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #3
    Educator
    Dayton3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,153

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Israel can make good use of it.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    Israel can make good use of it.
    Conservatives fight against tax money going towards helping impoverished people in their own country and then turn around and support sending billions to Israel. Being rich or poor is a choice according to conservative logic, right? If they want more money they should earn it themselves. Giving them welfare will just create dependency, right?

  5. #5
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,915

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Conservatives fight against tax money going towards helping impoverished people in their own country and then turn around and support sending billions to Israel. Being rich or poor is a choice according to conservative logic, right? If they want more money they should earn it themselves. Giving them welfare will just create dependency, right?
    You do realize that Israel isn't the only nation in the world to receive US foreign aid, right? It isn't even the largest recipient, Afghanistan is.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  6. #6
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,062

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    should we give israel more aid?
    hell no!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    You do realize that Israel isn't the only nation in the world to receive US foreign aid, right? It isn't even the largest recipient, Afghanistan is.
    Yes, I do realize that. Do you realize the argument you're setting up depends on the assumption that I don't have a problem with that as well?

  8. #8
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,915

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Yes, I do realize that. Do you realize the argument you're setting up depends on the assumption that I don't have a problem with that as well?
    Yes, I do realize that. Which is the reason I will ask to see a single thread you've opened to criticize it on this board. Come on, show me how stupid I am.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #9
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    08-14-15 @ 04:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    428

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Explains why Israel has been so quiet lately. Once they get the money, they will start talking about nuking Iran again, being aggressive toward their neighbors, and spitting in the face of the US pretending they do not need us.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    re: Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Should we give Israel more aid?

    Israel asking U.S. for 50% increase in next defense assistance package | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

    Israel reportedly wants the U.S. to increase its annual defense assistance package by half, to an average $4.5 billion. Defense News reported this weekend that Israel and U.S. officials have in recent months begun negotiations on the next 10-year aid package. The previous package, negotiated by the George W. Bush and Ehud Olmert governments in 2007, averaged $3 billion of assistance each year, for a total of $30 billion, from 2007-2017. The government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants that to increase to $42-45 billion over the 2018-2028 period, Defense News reported, adding that President Barack Obama during his March 2013 visit to Israel “endorsed in principle” that range.

    Defense News quotes “U.S. and Israeli experts” as saying that the amount would be separate from any package the United States offered Israel as compensation for the Iran nuclear deal now being negotiated between Iran and the major powers. Like the defense assistance package currently in place, it is also separate from the $1.2 billion in materiel the United States stores in Israel and which under certain conditions is available for Israeli use, and from the approximately $500 million in U.S. funds provided to Israeli anti-missile development each year.
    I can see it right now - if Obama says "we'll keep sending the same annual amount of @ $5B in U.S. taxpayer funds but no increase", the Republicans will yell, "OBAMA HATES ISRAEL!!!!"
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •