Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

  1. #11
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,198

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Two remarks:

    1) This man didn't force the supermarkets to do this. fortunately there is still something like a democratically elected Parliament in France and they passed the law.

    2) However well-intentioned this law may be, I oppose these sort of intrusive laws on principle. We have way too many laws already.

  2. #12
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,022

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    I do not support this law. One, it should be a business's choice what to do with product that doesn't sell. For another, what if people get sick from eating expired food?
    I haven't read the law, but I would suspect that being forced to donate food would sort of clear you of any sort of accidental liability if the food is spoiled. Having said that I worked for a grocery store and the amount of food thrown away is amazing. The 50 gallon rubber maid waste cans. We used to fill 2-3 of those with bread, bagels, donuts ect on some nights, but I can tell you this, supermarkets take that stuff off the shelf far before it's gone bad as they don't want to risk liability either and they are very proactive about removing food long before it spoils.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary (or faith) depends upon his not understanding it.”

  3. #13
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,577

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    I completely agree with what this man is trying to do.

    Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global | World news | The Guardian

    A councillor whose campaign against food waste led to a law forcing French supermarkets to donate unwanted food to charity has set his sights on getting similar legislation passed globally. Arash Derambarsh said it was “scandalous and absurd” that food is wasted and in some cases deliberately spoiled while the homeless, poor and unemployed go hungry. Derambarsh – a municipal councillor for the “Divers Droit” (diverse right) in Courbevoie, north-west of Paris – persuaded French MPs to adopt the regulation after a petition gained more than 200,000 signatures and celebrity support in just four months. The amendment was approved as part of a wider law – the Loi Macron – that covers economic activity and equality in France and is expected to be passed by the national assembly on Tuesday, entering the statute books shortly afterwards. It will bar supermarkets from throwing away food approaching best-before dates and deliberately poisoning products with bleach to stop them being retrieved by people foraging through bins.

    Now Derambarsh wants to convince European countries and the wider world to adopt similar bans. “Food is the basis of life, it is an elementary factor in our existence,” he told the Guardian. “I have been insulted and attacked and accused of being naive and idealistic, but I became a local councillor because I wanted to help people. Perhaps it is naive to be concerned about other human beings, but I know what it is like to be hungry. “When I was a law student living on about €400 a month after I’d paid my rent, I used to have one proper meal a day around 5pm. I’d eat pasta, or potatoes, but it’s hard to study or work if you are hungry and always thinking about where the next meal will come from.” Derambarsh started his campaign by collecting and distributing unwanted food from his local supermarket. “Every day we’d help around 100 people. Half would be single mothers with several children, pensioners or public workers on low salaries, the other half would be those living on the streets or in shelters,” he said.
    Sad that the only way this man see a way to get something done is through government force. In my area, there is a private charity that organizes the collection of "expired" food from stores and other organizations and distributes to those in need: How We Work | Philabundance. There is no government mandate and yet good work gets done.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    I completely agree with what this man is trying to do.

    Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global | World news | The Guardian

    A councillor whose campaign against food waste led to a law forcing French supermarkets to donate unwanted food to charity has set his sights on getting similar legislation passed globally. Arash Derambarsh said it was “scandalous and absurd” that food is wasted and in some cases deliberately spoiled while the homeless, poor and unemployed go hungry. Derambarsh – a municipal councillor for the “Divers Droit” (diverse right) in Courbevoie, north-west of Paris – persuaded French MPs to adopt the regulation after a petition gained more than 200,000 signatures and celebrity support in just four months. The amendment was approved as part of a wider law – the Loi Macron – that covers economic activity and equality in France and is expected to be passed by the national assembly on Tuesday, entering the statute books shortly afterwards. It will bar supermarkets from throwing away food approaching best-before dates and deliberately poisoning products with bleach to stop them being retrieved by people foraging through bins.

    Now Derambarsh wants to convince European countries and the wider world to adopt similar bans. “Food is the basis of life, it is an elementary factor in our existence,” he told the Guardian. “I have been insulted and attacked and accused of being naive and idealistic, but I became a local councillor because I wanted to help people. Perhaps it is naive to be concerned about other human beings, but I know what it is like to be hungry. “When I was a law student living on about €400 a month after I’d paid my rent, I used to have one proper meal a day around 5pm. I’d eat pasta, or potatoes, but it’s hard to study or work if you are hungry and always thinking about where the next meal will come from.” Derambarsh started his campaign by collecting and distributing unwanted food from his local supermarket. “Every day we’d help around 100 people. Half would be single mothers with several children, pensioners or public workers on low salaries, the other half would be those living on the streets or in shelters,” he said.
    I agree. I'd support such a law here in the US also. Though I don't think it should be done federally. While I'm sure that there are those that think the government should be able to do...well just about anything it pleases... there just is nothing in the Constitution which would support such a law. State wise though I'd be more than happy to support it.

    Bold: This type of thing should be stopped ASAP. If someone ate such food and died because of it that is imo murder in at least the 2nd degree. (knowing our "justice" system though it'd at best be involuntary manslaughter)
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #15
    Student Monte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    03-17-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    208

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    This is a noble thought. However, there are a couple of reasons why businesses don't normally contribute excess or about-to-expire products.
    The first is the safety and spoilage (already addressed in this thread)
    The second is that if there is too much waste/excess, then it is obvious that too much was ordered or produced. Management mistake. They are constantly trying to optimize inventory levels.
    Third, they do not want any organization or people to become dependent on the charity, they could be disappointed if management guesses correct on inventory level.
    Finally, an extension of my third point, This dependence can result in decreased profits by the seller, because those that would normally purchase the goods could just wait and be the recipient of the charity.

    Many years ago I was just out of HS and worked for Winchell's donuts. Great job! Except, the company's policy is to make donuts fresh daily. This means that at the end of the business day, the donuts left were either thrown away or taken home by Winchell's employees. I personally threw away many dozens of donuts. I also took boxes and boxes home. (very popular with the family)
    They did not give the leftovers away for the reason that I stated, afraid of less profits as a direct result.

    I do like the idea of using, not wasting, consumables as well as other non-compostables. I don't think that a govt should tell a business to do this.
    It approaches a slippery slope I would rather not approach.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,828

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    The world is going to strangle itself on red tape.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    (knowing our "justice" system though it'd at best be involuntary manslaughter)
    I don't think it would be anything in our justice system

  8. #18
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,626

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    The world is going to strangle itself on red tape.
    I'd take a little bit of red tape to let hungry people eat. It's easy to say garbage like ^that^ from a position where you aren't, and never have been hungry.
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  9. #19
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Let France experiment.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  10. #20
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,828

    Re: Man who forced French supermarkets to donate food wants to take law global

    Quote Originally Posted by Fruityfact View Post
    I'd take a little bit of red tape to let hungry people eat. It's easy to say garbage like ^that^ from a position where you aren't, and never have been hungry.
    I would rather we spent our time figuring out why people in western society are still going hungry. Forcing supermarkets to look after the poor is a bit cheeky in my opinion and logistically it could be a nightmare.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •