Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

  1. #31
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Anytime you decide what "the left" thinks, you can rest assured you're full of ****.


    Clarification please: are you saying it's not possible to know what "the left" thinks, or are you saying it's not possible to know how they think, or perhaps your meaning is more along the lines of... that they think?

    Obvious generalizations aside (it's easy to poke a hole somewhere in any generalization - even yours), two of the above are certainly knowable and would therefore render your assertion void.

    One of them though, I grant might actually give it some validity - hence the request to clarify.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  2. #32
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    We do not need to destroy what little wilderness remains on this planet for civilization to continue to exist.
    "What little wilderness remains on this planet?" You're kidding, right? Do you know how much of this planet is wilderness? Do you not realize the VAST MAJORITY of this planet is wilderness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    I can be a fan of civilization and want to protect the Amazon at the same time.
    Actually, according to your logic, no you cannot. You have made it quite clear your radical opposition to civilization in favor of wilderness - summarily judging anyone who disagrees with you "a scourge to this planet," clearly expressing thereby your approbation for the eradication of such people - such people being in your mind "scourges."
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    "What little wilderness remains on this planet?" You're kidding, right? Do you know how much of this planet is wilderness? Do you not realize the VAST MAJORITY of this planet is wilderness?
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

    The End of the Wild? | The Nature Conservancy




    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Actually, according to your logic, no you cannot.
    Actually, according to my logic, yes I can. You have intentionally warped and unsurprisingly misunderstood my logic.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Last Seen
    10-14-16 @ 09:58 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,543

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    We here in the declining USA can't maintain our existing rail systems, never mind introducing needed high speed mag-lev trains. Amtrack off the tracks, regular derailment of oil tanker trains...

    Meanwhile China has the means and tech and will to build high speed rail across South America through undeveloped land. They just need to sort out environmental concerns and fee schedules.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,144

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    You have no idea what I have done or where I have been. People like you are a scourge to this planet.
    Lol.. Thank you for making my point. Your priorities are with the planet, not people. That's the thing about radical environmentalists: their love for the planet is only surpassed by their hatred of mankind. The more you guys talk, the more people will figure that out.

  6. #36
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

    The End of the Wild? | The Nature Conservancy
    Good grief. TNC's chief "scientist" claims there is NO wilderness remaining on the planet - which, were it not absurd on its face, is tantamount to utter fraud. But, apparently you believe him - which makes your argument for the Amazon being "wilderness" null and void - per your "source."

    Wild.org at least attempts to mask their fraud by defining "wilderness" in terms of being legally protected lands - but both are equally disingenuous.

    Quote Originally Posted by anomalism View Post
    Actually, according to my logic, yes I can. You have intentionally warped and unsurprisingly misunderstood my logic.
    I've warped nothing. I quoted you verbatim. It is apparently you who do not understand the logical ramifications of what you say you believe.

    I 'get' wanting to develop responsibly, to 'protect' the environment as civilization progresses (as progress it must), but you cannot label that which represents the progress of civilization and those who support such progress as "scourges" and expect to be given any semblance of credibility that you are both for wilderness and civilization.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  7. #37
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,144

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Good grief. TNC's chief "scientist" claims there is NO wilderness remaining on the planet - which, were it not absurd on its face, is tantamount to utter fraud. But, apparently you believe him - which makes your argument for the Amazon being "wilderness" null and void - per your "source."

    Wild.org at least attempts to mask their fraud by defining "wilderness" in terms of being legally protected lands - but both are equally disingenuous.


    I've warped nothing. I quoted you verbatim. It is apparently you who do not understand the logical ramifications of what you say you believe.

    I 'get' wanting to develop responsibly, to 'protect' the environment as civilization progresses (as progress it must), but you cannot label that which represents the progress of civilization and those who support such progress as "scourges" and expect to be given any semblance of credibility that you are both for wilderness and civilization.
    The area of the Amazon is almost as big as the continental United States. We aren't talking about bulldozing it, we are talking about running a rail line through it. But don't listen to me, I am the scourge of the planet lol

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Good grief. TNC's chief "scientist" claims there is NO wilderness remaining on the planet - which, were it not absurd on its face, is tantamount to utter fraud. But, apparently you believe him - which makes your argument for the Amazon being "wilderness" null and void - per your "source."
    The article demonstrates why what you said is absurd and completely wrong. I didn't say I agree that there is no wilderness left.



    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    I 'get' wanting to develop responsibly, to 'protect' the environment as civilization progresses (as progress it must), but you cannot label that which represents the progress of civilization and those who support such progress as "scourges" and expect to be given any semblance of credibility that you are both for wilderness and civilization.
    Calling people that don't care about the natural world a scourge to the planet does not equate to calling all of mankind a scourge. The scourge remark was in response to him calling the Amazon a worthless rainforest. Calling the Amazon worthless implies that tearing the entire thing down wouldn't matter. People with that mindset are absolutely a scourge to this planet. You incorrectly assumed that the scourge remark extended to all or most humans. Civilization and what is left of nature can coexist.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    The area of the Amazon is almost as big as the continental United States. We aren't talking about bulldozing it, we are talking about running a rail line through it. But don't listen to me, I am the scourge of the planet lol
    If we were talking about bulldozing it you still wouldn't care. That is what makes you a scourge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    worthless jungle

  10. #40
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 03:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: China, Peru and Brazil mull Amazon railway

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    The article demonstrates why what you said is absurd and completely wrong. I didn't say I agree that there is no wilderness left.
    No, A, it doesn't - which is why I cited that other source. All it does is expose how radical environmentalists are attempting to redefine terms in their favor - which is nothing more than propaganda - and transparent propaganda at that.

    Quote Originally Posted by anomalism View Post
    Calling people that don't care about the natural world a scourge to the planet does not equate to calling all of mankind a scourge. The scourge remark was in response to him calling the Amazon a useless rainforest. Calling the Amazon useless implies that tearing the entire thing down wouldn't matter. People with that mindset are absolutely a scourge to this planet. You incorrectly assumed that the scourge remark extended to all or most humans. Civilization and what is left of nature can coexist.
    I never said you'd called mankind a scourge - I was quite clear in noting the "scourge" to whom you are referring is anyone who disagrees with you on this topic. You should pick your descriptors more carefully, employing less hyperbole at least for the word "scourge" has definite connotations, connotations which ramifications it is apparent you haven't thought through.

    Fletch's statement certainly doesn't qualify calling him a "scourge" either. At best, I think you're being a little oversensitive to what was a little hyperbole of his own - made to make his point, a point which, btw, you haven't yet addressed.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •