Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 441

Thread: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

  1. #411
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    07-24-17 @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    So this is getting interesting. Apparently the conservative assumption is that, if poor people lacked sufficient income, they would take steps to improve their situation through work, or self-improvement, whereas the leftist assumption is that, if poor people lack sufficient income, they will instead create political blocs to demand that others simply give it to them.
    I'm not surprised that working for wage increases is viewed as "giving" in light of how min wage has not kept up with inflation, and you have of course ignored comments on seeking greater wages by the already employed. Dishonest argument.



    Oh look. A Laboratory of Democracy:Huh.
    Well, now you have your work cut out for you, show that Maine has either increased funding for their "training programs" providing enough spaces for those seeking it (one reason why those have given up) or that there is private employers hiring for those unemployed.

    Three of Maine’s 16 counties, home to about 100,000 of its 1.3 million residents, are designated “labor surplus areas” by federal labor market monitors. That means there is a serious imbalance between the number of people willing to work and the number of jobs available — an imbalance that stripping away food assistance will do nothing to correct.
    Maine Has Kicked 6,500 People Off Of Food Stamps So Far This Winter | ThinkProgress
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #412
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    07-24-17 @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I am maintaining the goalpost that I set out in the beginning - that of a forcing function on the employer to raise wages commensurate with the loss of public aid experienced by his or her workers. Thus far you've come back with "well, in such a scenario politics might mandate the increase in the MW" hypothetical, forgetting that A) in that parallel universe apparently going through such a libertarian moment, that is unlikely and B) employers have alternatives to human labor when that labor becomes prohibitively expensive. Demand for low-skill labor is not perfectly inelastic.
    I never knew that forcing MW increases was a "libertarian" moment or that alternative universes exist. I understand that this forcing via MW does not fit well into your universe.



    The employer is likely already retraining employees,
    Not to the extent of new hires to existing employees, stop please, you are reaching for your denials.
    and your other mechanism was that perhaps a political pressure group would arise.
    Thats the reality.

    Warren Buffet is correct. If you actually want to help Low-Income workers, expanding the EITC is a better policy to actually put money in their pocket.
    It is better for the EMPLOYER, it reduces pressure on the EMPLOYER to increase wages....that why he likes it.



    ... I do not understand this reply. I am saying that welfare cliffs exist and have negative impact on people's desire to earn income, not making any proposals.
    You are assuming that many would be affected by wage increases and that TANF/SNAP would not change. They have changed in the past when MW changes.
    Though I would agree that large changes to TANF/SNAP should be made, and that this would effect many millions of Americans.
    I know you do, and the belief is that it will cause greater employment, the soup kitchen theory for the elderly and children.



    I do. I'm in favor of a social safety net, simply a simpler, better designed one with fewer destructive incentive structures.
    ....for businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #413
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    07-24-17 @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,667

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Whether or not most actually do, this is an idiotic argument.

    Oh wow, if you count people who received the Earned Income Tax Credit, most of them have Earned Income?!? You don't say!!!

    EITC generally isn't what is meant by "welfare". Folks are talking about TANF, SNAP, Medicaid, etc. EITC was added into those numbers specifically to get that result.
    So has the result of increased EITC caused large wage gains for those in lower quintiles?

    I think we have already gone over this. It hasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumpf
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #414
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,447

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    sure it is a fallacy there is a paywall so it should be free.

    I guess their house should be free
    I guess their rent should be free
    I guess their car should be free
    another strawman argument. if you'd like to continue discussing this topic with me, post it again without the logical fallacies. your next strawman argument will be our final interaction.

  5. #415
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49,498

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    of course i do.... without one, I probably wouldn't understand why making it free to the students isn't a policy we should be chasing after.
    Yeah, you want to limit competition for your labor.

  6. #416
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,528
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Thats nice. So how about free universal higher public education/technical college?
    Much closer to the way things are done in the advanced nations .. Thanks to the conservatives .. we are so backward ..

  7. #417
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,895

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Much closer to the way things are done in the advanced nations .. Thanks to the conservatives .. we are so backward ..
    How are conservatives responsible for costs associated with colleges and technical schools?
    President Donald J Trump, 45th President of the United States of America. A victory born in the hearts and minds of Everyday Americans

  8. #418
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Woop de mother ****ing dog doo. Britney Spears has sold more records than the Beatles. "Far more people blah blah blah" is not a valid argument...its not even a good argument.
    Umm, what? Fyi, Beatles have out sold Britney by several million records. There may be a single album that has out sold a single Beatle Album, but we both know what you just said is BS.
    Oh look, its a private education website, promoting private education from 9 years ago.

    Like I said, you'll have to show some metric that shows private education out stripping public, here is your rebuttal from 2013.

    Public Schools Outperform Private Schools, Book Says - Education Week

    I love this quote at the bottom
    "In the end, no study of public versus private schooling is going to be methodologically perfect," he said. "It's just too complicated to try to find a definitive answer when the sectors are so diverse, the confounding factors so many, and the data sets so limited."
    This shows that what you think is true really isn't depending upon who is doing the study and what metrics they are using. In the end, there are far more public school students, regardless of affluence than there are private.

    Also, there is a pretty major decline in private school attendance.

    https://www.census.gov/hhes/school/f...enrollment.pdf

    I'm sorry to poke holes in your personal bias, but at least use honest sources.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  9. #419
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,164

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    another strawman argument. if you'd like to continue discussing this topic with me, post it again without the logical fallacies. your next strawman argument will be our final interaction.
    your the one committing the fallacies not me. you claim a paywall exist but have yet to actually prove it. you simply post the cost of going to a college and call it a pay wall.
    which is simply not true as there are plenty of ways that they can get money to pay for college.
    and if they are poor the greater portion of that they don't have to pay back as they have access to grant money and low income scholarships.

    you say it should be free because of this paywall but refuse to actually pay for it.
    I simply pointed out other examples of pay walls using your own theory.
    should those be free as well?

    your not discussing anything. you claim it should be free and that other should pay for it.
    you yourself refuse to even pay for it. so I don't see how you can force other people to.

  10. #420
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    college graduates need less public assistance. should I post the chart again?
    and when everyone has a college degree, what do you suppose happens?

    it can be boiled down to a supply and demand equation....and I would have thought most of us understand what ramifications a massive supply glut brings.




    be careful not to make physical contact with the plebes. you might sully yourself
    well,I guess if you don't have an actual argument, being snide and insulting is the next best thing

    come on dude, you're better than that...

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •