Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 441

Thread: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

  1. #191
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,427

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You falsely present liberalism as being in opposition to free markets and capitalism.

    Stop letting Rush Limbaugh tell you what liberals think.
    Rush publicly calls his followers "ditto heads". they think that is a compliment lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #192
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Which is contrary to the position that several self proclaimed conservatives have been arguing in this thread. They were arguing that we need more welfare. And it's not the first time that I have seen conservatives argue for more welfare.

    It's ironic that while I take the position that we should eliminate welfare, I have had people who claim to be conservatives accuse me of being a liberal, over and over again.
    More welfare is not a conservative position. You and I both know that. A minute amount of anecdotal evidence does not change that.

  3. #193
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,427

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I never advocated for such. So, yes. I was right. Complete misunderstanding by you.

    If they got rid of welfare, which is also not a position i would advocate, wages would tend down as labor supply would increase. Again, as the expert in mw economist described.

    In short, welfare is not a subsidy to employers.
    What you don't seem to realize is that most people on welfare, something like 98% (except for those who are already seeking a job), WORK.

    Eliminating welfare wouldn't increase the number of people desiring to work because most people on welfare already work.

    Thus, your argument that eliminating welfare would result in more people seeking jobs, largely fails.

    But let's just pretend that you are correct, so that's exactly the reason that it is important that we continue to have a minimum wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #194
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    LOL...is that how it works? Anything and everything that is not countered makes you correct!?! WOW! Your inferences RULE!

    The more accurate point would be that apparently, all those responses to your posts that you ignore, are effectively just concessions.

    PS....I guess your private education did not help with the understanding of what "putting words in your mouth" means.
    If every time I refresh I get 12 quotes of my same quote, Im not responding to all 12....especially when they are just saying the same thing. Its clear that I am slapping you around with no effort and I am living in your head rent free. Meanwhile, I cant even tell one of you from the other.

  5. #195
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    What you don't seem to realize is that most people on welfare, something like 98% (except for those who are already seeking a job), WORK.

    Eliminating welfare wouldn't increase the number of people desiring to work because most people on welfare already work.

    Thus, your argument that eliminating welfare would result in more people seeking jobs, largely fails.

    But let's just pretend that you are correct, so that's exactly the reason that it is important that we continue to have a minimum wage.
    Because they have 10 kids they cant afford. Life choices are a hell of a drug.... Some people just suck as life, and with our welfare system, its almost like we encourage the suck.

  6. #196
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,427

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    If every time I refresh I get 12 quotes of my same quote, Im not responding to all 12....especially when they are just saying the same thing. Its clear that I am slapping you around with no effort and I am living in your head rent free. Meanwhile, I cant even tell one of you from the other.
    I thought that you are confused, glad you indicated that I am correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #197
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Warren Buffett Don't raise the minimum wage

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Thats nice. So how about free universal higher public education/technical college?
    I think they should grant your wish and take all of your earnings to pay for it. How's that for an idea?
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  8. #198
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,617

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I suspect that you are embarised that you advocate for more welfare, rather than wages that are high enough that people can support themselves by work.

    My position is that if we get rid of welfare, people will no longer be so comfortable that they will be happy with a low paying job. thus they will tend to look for higher paying jobs, and employers will then have to compete harder for workers. When employers have to compete harder for employees, they tend to offer better wages and benefits.

    That's the way that free market capitalism works. And it's a system that seems to work pretty good. But our current system thwarts that by making it comfortable for people to be poor. Low paying employers have figured out that they can take advantage of welfare subsidies, by paying low wages and hiring workers who's life are made more comfortable by welfare.

    Any time that government subsidizes something, our system becomes distorted. Some of you guys don't seem to understand this.

    The only difference between your position and that of a progressive is that you think we should only hand out more welfare, while most progressies think we need more welfare and higher wages.

    I'd be happy with less welfare and higher wages, which seems like the most conservative position.
    Cutting all welfare, problem is there are specific people that welfare is the only road they have, illness, disability and so on.
    As to wage increases, used to be as productivity increased so did wages & that is no longer the situation. Has not been for decades.
    Higher paying jobs, one issue are many are without skills or have very basic skill sets. Then training/education is needed.

  9. #199
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,427

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Because they have 10 kids they cant afford. Life choices are a hell of a drug.... Some people just suck as life, and with our welfare system, its almost like we encourage the suck.
    That has nothing to do with nothing.

    How would eliminating welfare cause an already employed welfare receipient to seek a lower paying job?

    Your logic is backwards. Let's work through this again, step by step.

    1) most people who receive welfare already work. Most forms of welfare have actually required work ever since it was reformed during the Clinton administration. the earned income tax credit requires earned income (work).

    2) Means tested welfare makes low wage workers more comfortable, thus they have little incentive to seek higher paying employment.

    3) Low wage paying employers only pay low wages because they can find ample employees who are willing to accept a low wage. the reason that there are lots of people willing to accept a low wage is because those people are receiving means tested welfare (and if they accepted a higher paying job their welfare benefits would be reduced or eliminated)

    4) If we eliminated welfare, we would not have more people in the job market, because most welfare receipients are already in the job market.

    5) If we eliminated welfare, low wage employees would not be as financially comfortable, and thus they would be more likely to seek higher paying employment. Low wage employers would then have to compete harder for workers, and wages would tend to rise.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #200
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,802

    Re: Warren Buffett: $15 minimum wage will hurt the working class

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    What you don't seem to realize is that most people on welfare, something like 98% (except for those who are already seeking a job), WORK.

    Eliminating welfare wouldn't increase the number of people desiring to work because most people on welfare already work.

    Thus, your argument that eliminating welfare would result in more people seeking jobs, largely fails.

    But let's just pretend that you are correct, so that's exactly the reason that it is important that we continue to have a minimum wage.
    Studies of the 70s welfare impacts, showed an increase of part time work related to the amount of benefits being offered. people wanted less full time work, as they would then be eating into the free money from the govt.

Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •