Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 383

Thread: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a rise

  1. #311
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And I very clearly pointed out how that particular statistic is OBVIOUSLY cherry-picked - it doesn't even address those who make just a few pennies more than the minimum wage. You've GOT to learn to see through those stats, guy.

    And when I said, "you pay anyway", yes you do. It comes from an old Valvoline (or was it Quaker State) oil commercial back in the 1970's - there's a mechanic on the TV saying, "Pay me now, or pay me later." It meant, "you can pay me now (for the oil change) or you can pay me later (when I have to rebuild your engine)".

    What I'm telling you is the same thing - you can either pay more at Wal-mart for higher wages for their workers...OR you can pay more taxes because workers at Wal-Mart make so little that they have to have food stamps. But you pay anyway.
    You aren't telling me anything. You are expressing your opinion. Your opinion is wrong but you are entitled to it.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #312
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Aren't there restaurant closings and jobs losses there in advance of the minimum wage hike? Why do you think that happens. Every day we read about some guy in a Pizza shop excited about the raise he got, but disappointed that he's out of work.
    No, they aren't going out of business because of the minimum wage hike. They are going out of business due to competition. Seattle has a lot of restaurants to choose from, so many that a lot of them are unable to compete with their niche food selection. Unless they go above and beyond what their competition is. Breakfast joints are a prime example, there are a lot of them in the smaller sections of the Seattle Neighborhoods, but not a lot of in the DT area.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  3. #313
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I agree with almost all of that.
    As for the illegals becoming employers, I'd rather they not be here illegally at all, but, as you said, that's going to be very difficult to accomplish.

    and I'm going to let the conservatives (self described) on this board answer that last one.
    Interesting - a libertarian and a big-government-loving progressive agreeing on something? Politics makes for strange bedfellows indeed! But I do like coming to agreement - the give-and-take process of political sausage-making is ugly, but as we've just shown, doable. Thanks!
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #314
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,659

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    No, they aren't going out of business because of the minimum wage hike. They are going out of business due to competition. Seattle has a lot of restaurants to choose from, so many that a lot of them are unable to compete with their niche food selection. Unless they go above and beyond what their competition is. Breakfast joints are a prime example, there are a lot of them in the smaller sections of the Seattle Neighborhoods, but not a lot of in the DT area.
    Amazing isn't it, you live in the city and have no idea what is going on nor any concept of competition on wages. Seattle has created a $15 minimum wage

    We Are Seeing The Effects Of Seattle's $15 An Hour Minimum Wage

    plus the fact that the state and local government have the authority to do whatever they want with the minimum wage yet you want to the federal govt. to do implementing a one size fits all program nation wide.

    Not sure what it is about liberals that creates this kind of loyalty to a failed ideology but you have no idea or concept about reality.

  5. #315
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    No, they aren't going out of business because of the minimum wage hike. They are going out of business due to competition. Seattle has a lot of restaurants to choose from, so many that a lot of them are unable to compete with their niche food selection. Unless they go above and beyond what their competition is. Breakfast joints are a prime example, there are a lot of them in the smaller sections of the Seattle Neighborhoods, but not a lot of in the DT area.
    Watch what happens as the reality of unaffordable labor sets in. In San Diego I've read that some restaurants have raised prices and instituted a no tip policy. Servers actually earn less than before the rise in wages. In the end, economics always wins.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  6. #316
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,659

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Watch what happens as the reality of unaffordable labor sets in. In San Diego I've read that some restaurants have raised prices and instituted a no tip policy. Servers actually earn less than before the rise in wages. In the end, economics always wins.
    What we are seeing here are people who have absolutely no understanding of business, the costs of going into business, and the risk associated with businesses. They are looking at individuals and judging personal profit demand based upon their own situation and not reality nor are they looking at the affects competition has on business, the govt. involvement in business, and the fact that we aren't talking large corporations here paying those inflated waged liberals want. Many McDonalds for example are franchised being owned by a small business owner and not the company. Same holds true with most gasoline stations. Walmart is in a different classification and as I have shown doesn't pay minimum wage or even close to it.

    Don't think we will ever change the mind of a liberal because they never think with their brain but only their heart and thinking with the heart leads to emotion based decisions, not logic or common sense based decisions.

  7. #317
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Amazing isn't it, you live in the city and have no idea what is going on nor any concept of competition on wages. Seattle has created a $15 minimum wage

    We Are Seeing The Effects Of Seattle's $15 An Hour Minimum Wage

    plus the fact that the state and local government have the authority to do whatever they want with the minimum wage yet you want to the federal govt. to do implementing a one size fits all program nation wide.

    Not sure what it is about liberals that creates this kind of loyalty to a failed ideology but you have no idea or concept about reality.
    Yay someone's opinion... here let me give you someone else's opinion.

    The Pitchforks Are Coming

    So now we have two opposed opinions and then we have have the actual statistics that are showing there aren't a huge loss of paying positions due to minimum wage hike. Its really like, because it goes against your own ideals you can't see the forest for the trees.

    Let me know when you find something better than an opinion piece.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  8. #318
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Watch what happens as the reality of unaffordable labor sets in. In San Diego I've read that some restaurants have raised prices and instituted a no tip policy. Servers actually earn less than before the rise in wages. In the end, economics always wins.
    Yes economics does win, and higher minimum wage wins.

    I cannot believe you don't think people should be paid more than they were in 1979.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  9. #319
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,659

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Yay someone's opinion... here let me give you someone else's opinion.

    The Pitchforks Are Coming

    So now we have two opposed opinions and then we have have the actual statistics that are showing there aren't a huge loss of paying positions due to minimum wage hike. Its really like, because it goes against your own ideals you can't see the forest for the trees.

    Let me know when you find something better than an opinion piece.
    The one thing you failed to recognize is that the city of Seattle made the decision to raise the minimum wage and didn't require a Federal mandate to do so. Cities and states all over the country have a different cost of living making a one size fits all program not practical or effective.

    What I see from people like you is the entitlement mentality and a belief that you are entitled to the spoils of others. It doesn't matter to you what it costs to go into business, the govt. regulations and taxes, the fact that a business owner is the last one paid as long as you get yours. What you get is the shaft from liberalism for if you put business out of business, who pays for those "freebies" you want, who provides the jobs, who provides the pay and benefits?

    I see a lot of jealousy in the liberal world these days as they are more concerned about what someone else makes, someone else has, or what someone else pays in taxes than they are taking advantage of the opportunities available to them. I employed a lot of people, rewarded a lot of people, promoted a lot of people, and yes fired a lot of people. I never was concerned about what someone else has, earns, or pays in taxes. Instead I strove to be the best I was capable of being and that worked out quite well for me. Why can't you do the same thing?

  10. #320
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,659

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Yes economics does win, and higher minimum wage wins.

    I cannot believe you don't think people should be paid more than they were in 1979.
    When you go for an interview for a job do you take your financial statement with you and give it to the perspective employer and tell them this is what I demand you pay men? Who held a gun to your head forcing you to take that minimum wage job? Do you ever take personal responsibility for anything you do?

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •