Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 383

Thread: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a rise

  1. #261
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,281

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Really? So when the Heritage Foundation first began trumpeting their big idea for health care coverage - what we today call OBAMACARE - it was a fact and they were right? I really look forward to your reply on that one!

    FYI, even though I'm a strong progressive, I don't automatically dismiss what the Heritage Foundation says - and I do have a healthy respect for the Cato Institute. They're not automatically right...but neither are they automatically wrong. That's why I honestly read and consider what they say, for if I don't do so, how can I possibly get all sides of the story?
    You're conflating opinion with facts. When Heritage says 'the minimum wage is a bad idea', that is opinion. It could be right , it could be wrong.
    However, when Heritage says 2/3 of minimum wage workers get a raise in the first year, you can be pretty sure that is what happened. In fact they almost always footnote such statements to show where they got it from.

  2. #262
    Sage

    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    No, I didn't cherry pick anything. I replied directly to what he said. I'll even quote it for you.


    If you want to use 1979 by all means, use 1979. That still means they paid people $3+ more in 1979 than they do currently. Either way its an abomination of our workforce, that such a large number of people are under employed, simply because employers are slowly turning back into the issues from the 1940s.

    Productivity has never been higher and we are paying people less than what they were paid in the 70s.

    you all have to stop using productivity as a measurement

    all uses of that went out the window in the late 70's with the advent of the personal computer, and in the 80's and 90's with machinery and automation

    we will ALWAYS be higher now than we were before.....forever more

    and ALMOST NONE OF IT is because of the human element

    it is also why the rich have gotten richer.....they invested in machines, and computers and are reaping the benefits of such
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #263
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,620

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    But with the exception of Obama's stimulus (which itself was too small and a third of it was tax cuts), he hasn't really been able to implement any truly Keynesian measures, mostly because the Republicans in Congress were able to prevent it. So he and the Fed have been forced to consider other measures in order to stimulate the economy.

    And when you say, "the market will take care of wages", that's true when it comes to highly-skilled workers...but not when it comes to entry-level workers. Look at the world around you and ask yourself what democracies out there have a significant minimum wage (or strong unionization like Germany), and what nations don't. Without exception, the first-world democracies have a strong minimum wage, and the third-world democracies don't. Why? Because when it comes to entry-level workers, if there is no government-enforce mandate for a significant minimum wage, the wage floor starts going lower and lower. I've got a house and a lot of family in one of these countries - I spend a lot of time there (I'm going there next month) and this really is how it works for entry-level workers in a nation where there is no significant government-enforced minimum wage.
    There were no tax cuts in the Obama stimulus but rather a tax rebate as your taxes stayed the same. Most of the Obama stimulus had strings tied to it which again shows how little he understood about the U.S. economy and how little his supporters know.

  4. #264
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    you all have to stop using productivity as a measurement

    all uses of that went out the window in the late 70's with the advent of the personal computer, and in the 80's and 90's with machinery and automation

    we will ALWAYS be higher now than we were before.....forever more

    and ALMOST NONE OF IT is because of the human element

    it is also why the rich have gotten richer.....they invested in machines, and computers and are reaping the benefits of such
    That is completely based on the human element. We invented the machines and productivity is exponentially higher and instead of paying people the correct amount based on productivity we've dumbed down their wages.

    There was a movie based around such BS back in the 1990s, perhaps you've heard of it, "Office Space", shortly after that movie came out, a lot of companies began to offer "bonus" incentives and continue to do so, which brought productivity and happiness back up. We are once again in a wage slump thanks to inflation and we need to have higher wages to fix the issue of underemployment as the lies fed to us by the "don't tax the job creators".
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  5. #265
    Sage

    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    That is completely based on the human element. We invented the machines and productivity is exponentially higher and instead of paying people the correct amount based on productivity we've dumbed down their wages.

    There was a movie based around such BS back in the 1990s, perhaps you've heard of it, "Office Space", shortly after that movie came out, a lot of companies began to offer "bonus" incentives and continue to do so, which brought productivity and happiness back up. We are once again in a wage slump thanks to inflation and we need to have higher wages to fix the issue of underemployment as the lies fed to us by the "don't tax the job creators".

    and the engineers who design the computers are making good money

    the guys who program them are doing okay too

    and the ones that fix the machines are getting paid also

    as technology advances certain jobs become obsolete.....and the people doing those jobs must train to do other work

    the blue collar line workers for the most part are gone.....now you need more than a basic high school education to get ahead

    you need technical, vocational, or higher education to get the better paying jobs

    "can i get you you fries with that" is only worth x dollars to an employer

    nothing you say will ever change that fact......
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #266
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There were no tax cuts in the Obama stimulus but rather a tax rebate as your taxes stayed the same. Most of the Obama stimulus had strings tied to it which again shows how little he understood about the U.S. economy and how little his supporters know.
    Google 'bikini graph' and look what happened after the stimulus took effect.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #267
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,620

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Google 'bikini graph' and look what happened after the stimulus took effect.
    When the stimulus took place there were 142 million working Americans, two years later there were 139 million working Americans. That doesn't sound like a success to me nor does it answer the question about the tax cuts. There was a 500 rebate check given to taxpayers but there was no tax cuts other than strings attached for doing certain things. That is micromanaging a private sector economy and that is failure.

    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNS12000000
    Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (Seas) Employment Level
    Labor force status: Employed
    Type of data: Number in thousands
    Age: 16 years and over
    Years: 1980 to 2013

    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2008 146378 146156 146086 146132 145908 145737 145532 145203 145076 144802 144100 143369
    2009 142153 141644 140721 140652 140250 140005 139898 139481 138810 138421 138665 138025
    2010 138439 138624 138767 139296 139255 139148 139167 139405 139388 139097 139046 139295
    2011 139253 139471 139643 139606 139681 139405 139509 139870 140164 140314 140771 140896
    Let's see if a progressive can apologize and admit when wrong?

  8. #268
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    and the engineers who design the computers are making good money

    the guys who program them are doing okay too

    and the ones that fix the machines are getting paid also

    as technology advances certain jobs become obsolete.....and the people doing those jobs must train to do other work

    the blue collar line workers for the most part are gone.....now you need more than a basic high school education to get ahead

    you need technical, vocational, or higher education to get the better paying jobs

    "can i get you you fries with that" is only worth x dollars to an employer

    nothing you say will ever change that fact......
    There will always be jobs like "Do you want fries with that?".

    They may not be specifically like that, but they will be there. Paying people a living wage for doing those jobs does not hurt the economy nor the business.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  9. #269
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    65,620

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    There will always be jobs like "Do you want fries with that?".

    They may not be specifically like that, but they will be there. Paying people a living wage for doing those jobs does not hurt the economy nor the business.
    You have shown no evidence that you have any idea how business works as well as never holding people accountable for the poor choices they make. Your social engineering is what caused the problems we have today. Start your own business, make the investment, be the last person paid, and have someone else tell you what to pay your employees. Make sense to you?

  10. #270
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You have shown no evidence that you have any idea how business works as well as never holding people accountable for the poor choices they make. Your social engineering is what caused the problems we have today. Start your own business, make the investment, be the last person paid, and have someone else tell you what to pay your employees. Make sense to you?
    You haven't shown anything, other then preferring to hear propaganda from a conservative think tank.

    While that is great and all, I can see how out of touch some people are on here with what exactly we are talking about. Apparently no matter how much it is explained some people won't get it. Which is fine, but continuing to be willfully ignorant is kind of silly.

    I'd personally prefer to keep my life as it is, unknown, because of previous internet trust issues. Which I hope you can understand.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •