Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 383

Thread: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a rise

  1. #201
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Childhood Poverty Persistence: Facts and Consequences | Urban Institute

    New reports shows 70% of those born poor stay poor - Economy

    The Lingering Effects of Being Born into Poverty |

    I could go on, but you see the point I'm trying to make. The companies like to keep the poor, poor. It makes it much easier to exploit someone when they have little to no other options. This has been a reoccurring problem and minimum wage helped fix it, only now we are sliding back into the 1940s as minimum wage has not kept up with inflation in most areas of the country.

    If you wish to ignore this, then by all means, but don't try to claim the poor have it "easy" or can "easily get stuff if they work harder" as it isn't working harder that is the problem. It is who you know, networking is what gets you great jobs and the ability to move up. Sadly, being poor makes it hard to network as you are constantly being looked down on. As is ever present in this thread alone.
    Business economics trump social problems. It's not because one is more valuable than the other, it's just that businesses have to be profitable or they cease to exist so economics is the most important topic. Poverty is a different topic than the minimum wage. Society, cultural values, education and breaking away from the entitlement mentality all are relevant. Forcing business to pay unskilled workers more than they are able to produce for the business only compounds the employment problem and solves exactly nothing.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #202
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Business economics trump social problems. It's not because one is more valuable than the other, it's just that businesses have to be profitable or they cease to exist so economics is the most important topic. Poverty is a different topic than the minimum wage. Society, cultural values, education and breaking away from the entitlement mentality all are relevant. Forcing business to pay unskilled workers more than they are able to produce for the business only compounds the employment problem and solves exactly nothing.
    Business economics does not trump social issues, when the businesses are the cause of the social issues. Which is the problem we have right now.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  3. #203
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Business economics does not trump social issues, when the businesses are the cause of the social issues. Which is the problem we have right now.

    I see. Lets put business out of business so we can get the economy going again. Makes sense.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #204
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    64,399

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Fight the good fight! Nobody working full time in the United States should be living in poverty.

    McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a rise | Business | The Guardian

    Thousands of McDonald’s employees and union activists descended on the company’s headquarters near Chicago on Thursday to hold the biggest ever protest against “poverty wages” paid to most of its 400,000 employees, as the company’s board gathered for its annual shareholder meeting. About 5,000 McDonald’s employees from across the US chanted: “We work, we sweat, put $15 in our cheque” as they marched towards the burger giant’s headquarters holding banners reading “McDonald’s: $15 and Union Rights, Not Food Stamps.” As the meeting began protesters delivered a petition signed by 1.4m people calling on the company to support a $15 minimum wage and to respect workers’ rights to unionize.

    “We’re here to tell McDonald’s and its shareholders to invest in the company and its workers instead of wealthy hedge fund managers and executives,” said Kwanza Brooks, a McDonald’s worker and mother of three from Charlotte, North Carolina, who is paid $7.25 an hour. “We’re tired of relying on food stamps to feed our own families. We need $15 and the right to form a union and we need it now.” Terrence Wise, 35, travelled 12 hours by bus from Kansas City with his three young daughters. “Was it worth it to stand here? Yes definitely. I want my voice to be heard. I’ve worked at McDonald’s and Burger King for 11 years earning $8 an hour. I have three little girls to care for. I work two jobs, my partner works too, yet we still struggle to survive. We rely on food stamps. I don’t want to live on food stamps, I want to get paid what I deserve and work hard for. McDonald’s can clearly afford to pay us a living wage. They need to, now.”
    Do you have any idea who pays for the wages of those workers at any private company in this country? Where does the money come from?

    I always find it quite disturbing that people have no concept of private industry and where the money comes from to pay wages. Why do you think it is the Federal Government's responsibility to tell a private sector business what to pay its workers? Are you willing to pay their expenses as well as investment charges as well?

    It does seem that the basic economics understanding in this country today is an absolute disaster.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    64,399

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Business economics does not trump social issues, when the businesses are the cause of the social issues. Which is the problem we have right now.
    So you understand the expenses and financial conditions of all workers who are being paid a minimum wage that was set by bureaucrats in your state? Minimum wage is a state issue not a Federal issue which again is something people like you don't seem to understand

  6. #206
    Student Constantine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-11-17 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    286
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    there are LOTS of jobs between say $ 10.00 an hour and $ 15.00 around the country

    and some of them require a lot of education, or skills not easily gotten

    all of which will become completely undervalued the moment these MW laws hit their community

    suddenly the guy working the fry machine is making the exact same money as phlebotomist (lab worker who take your blood)

    or the hr person at a small company

    or the nurses assistant at the local hospital

    all jobs that require skills.....education.....training

    what happens to them?
    What happens? Well, your EMS workers are already burned out. It's already a high turn over position. Not many go on to become Paramedics and many use the job as a stepping stone. Ironically it's not one of those stepping stone sort of jobs because the community needs dedicated and talented individuals to remain in these jobs. The result is going to be the EMTs are going to become less caring about their jobs (because we can't strike or complain really). You're going to have folks coming to your rescue that are there not for you but because they need a paycheck. Your standards of care are going to decrease. The Nurses are already calling for debate on how THEIR pay checks are going to rise. Then there's the issue where Paramedics are basically becoming on par with nurses (nurses will not be a level above medic) due to new ideas coming out such as community paramedicine. So basically if you raise the minimum wage you're going to have to raise everyone else just to compensate for their skill levels. It doesn't matter to me so much, I left the military after 4 years, I'm going to college now, and I've decided civilian life SUCKS, so in 2.5 years I'll hopefully I'll be talking to recruiters about a commission. Not that the military is really paid well either.


  7. #207
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,949

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Childhood Poverty Persistence: Facts and Consequences | Urban Institute

    New reports shows 70% of those born poor stay poor - Economy

    The Lingering Effects of Being Born into Poverty |

    I could go on, but you see the point I'm trying to make. The companies like to keep the poor, poor. It makes it much easier to exploit someone when they have little to no other options. This has been a reoccurring problem and minimum wage helped fix it, only now we are sliding back into the 1940s as minimum wage has not kept up with inflation in most areas of the country.

    If you wish to ignore this, then by all means, but don't try to claim the poor have it "easy" or can "easily get stuff if they work harder" as it isn't working harder that is the problem. It is who you know, networking is what gets you great jobs and the ability to move up. Sadly, being poor makes it hard to network as you are constantly being looked down on. As is ever present in this thread alone.
    I can see you are not interested in reality, but only with disseminating left wing propaganda. Save it for the drones.

  8. #208
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So you understand the expenses and financial conditions of all workers who are being paid a minimum wage that was set by bureaucrats in your state? Minimum wage is a state issue not a Federal issue which again is something people like you don't seem to understand
    You'd be wrong.

    Minimum Wage - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

    Federal minimum wage is set at $7.25/hr

    Which apparently you don't realize it is federally mandated. If the states want to up the minimum wage they can, but they cannot lower it.

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    I can see you are not interested in reality, but only with disseminating left wing propaganda. Save it for the drones.
    By all means prove me wrong, I'd love to read something a bit less depressing about how easy it is to move up in income brackets, with data to back it up instead of anecdotal evidence.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  9. #209
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I see. Lets put business out of business so we can get the economy going again. Makes sense.
    The higher the minimum wage is compared to inflation the more money people have to spend, this is true especially of those incomes which spend the most of their income on daily/weekly items.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  10. #210
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    64,399

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    You'd be wrong.

    Minimum Wage - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

    Federal minimum wage is set at $7.25/hr

    Which apparently you don't realize it is federally mandated. If the states want to up the minimum wage they can, but they cannot lower it.



    By all means prove me wrong, I'd love to read something a bit less depressing about how easy it is to move up in income brackets, with data to back it up instead of anecdotal evidence.
    What is your state minimum wage? That is the point, the states can set the minimum wage at whatever the taxpayers will support. why is that a Federal Responsibility? Please don't tell me you care what the businesses in TX pay their workers?

    How about doing some research and find out how many of the 148 million working Americans make minimum wage and how many of those are head of households before spouting liberal rhetoric?

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •