Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 383

Thread: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a rise

  1. #191
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,791

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Best tell that to employers. They sure the hell ain't following it!

    Trust me. I run one of the largest EMS/Fire picture blogs on Tumblr. It's a hot button issue on our community. People get heated over it.

    10 years in EMS...dude, I'm not wrong, but thanks for doubting me. I'd kill for $14.91/hr. Most would at this point.

    there are LOTS of jobs between say $ 10.00 an hour and $ 15.00 around the country

    and some of them require a lot of education, or skills not easily gotten

    all of which will become completely undervalued the moment these MW laws hit their community

    suddenly the guy working the fry machine is making the exact same money as phlebotomist (lab worker who take your blood)

    or the hr person at a small company

    or the nurses assistant at the local hospital

    all jobs that require skills.....education.....training

    what happens to them?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #192
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by NonoBadDog View Post
    I have been working since I was 10. At 10 I could push carts at the commissary. I did that till my father retired. When I was 13 I worked bucking hay and feeding livestock. When I was 16 I worked at Taco Bell for a year. I then got a full time job working at a Redman building mobile homes. I have had many jobs through the years. I lived in my car after I got out of the Army the first time so I know what hard times are. It is called "entry level" for a reason. Nobody deserves anything unless they earn it. Nobody is entitled to just fall into a 15.00 an hour job. Anyone that works entry level for more than two years is "hurr durr" dumb or non motivated.
    Congrats while you worked in the 1960s. The fact you think $15/hr is even a high wage(depending upon location) for entry level really says a lot about how in touch you are with the average work force.

    Sometimes there are not the options available for people and that is something many on this board are apparently ignorant towards.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  3. #193
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Congrats while you worked in the 1960s. The fact you think $15/hr is even a high wage(depending upon location) for entry level really says a lot about how in touch you are with the average work force.

    Sometimes there are not the options available for people and that is something many on this board are apparently ignorant towards.
    Every job needs to produce enough profit to pay for itself to be sustainable. A whole crew of burger employees at fifteen bucks an hour is not sustainable. Doesn't that concern you?
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #194
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Every job needs to produce enough profit to pay for itself to be sustainable. A whole crew of burger employees at fifteen bucks an hour is not sustainable. Doesn't that concern you?
    You'd be hard pressed to say it isn't sustainable when there are several studies that show the price of the burger would rise perhaps by $1.

    While I don't know the magic minimum wage number, to think that we couldn't survive is nothing but a misnomer.

    People have been decrying wages since slavery was ended and probably before. In fact there have been several revolutions about it, I'd rather see companies actually take care of their employees as opposed to treating them like slightly better slaves.

    Do you want to return to the early 1940s?
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  5. #195
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,569

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I'm sorry but unless they are actually mentally handicapped, most people at the Mc D's that serves your food is not dumb as dirt.

    I understand you look down on them, but that is your own personal agenda and not near the truth.

    The Franchisee's were making bank in both locations that I worked, as is often the case in smaller towns. (Limited options for people to go to)
    There are people willing to work for less at that job... since it's very low skill. You may or may not be willing to work there for that amount... so then DONT TAKE THE JOB!!!!
    Don't have any other options? That is your fault, and it still isnt too late, there are higher paying jobs that are low skill... you could also try to get skills.... SKILLS is the only thing that matters... idc what other people say, if you got the skills and get work done...you got a job.

    You have the internet... A bank of trillions and trillions of bits of knowledge... is open to you (something that past generations has NEVER had before) The internet makes it so just about ANYONE can make it... if you work hard. There are no excuses...

    Unless the excuse is that someone is too stupid, theeeen I don't have an answer for stupid.

  6. #196
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    There are people willing to work for less at that job... since it's very low skill. You may or may not be willing to work there for that amount... so then DONT TAKE THE JOB!!!!
    Don't have any other options? That is your fault, and it still isnt too late, there are higher paying jobs that are low skill... you could also try to get skills.... SKILLS is the only thing that matters... idc what other people say, if you got the skills and get work done...you got a job.

    You have the internet... A bank of trillions and trillions of bits of knowledge... is open to you (something that past generations has NEVER had before) The internet makes it so just about ANYONE can make it... if you work hard. There are no excuses...

    Unless the excuse is that someone is too stupid, theeeen I don't have an answer for stupid.
    Its interesting you are under the impression that anyone can move up which isn't the case.

    If you are born into a poor household the vast majority of the time you'll remain poor. Blue collar work is pretty scarce and without that type of middle class moving up unless you invent something very profound, you will remain in the wage range you were born into.

    Its about who you know, not how hard you work anymore.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

  7. #197
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,569

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Its interesting you are under the impression that anyone can move up which isn't the case.

    If you are born into a poor household the vast majority of the time you'll remain poor. Blue collar work is pretty scarce and without that type of middle class moving up unless you invent something very profound, you will remain in the wage range you were born into.

    Its about who you know, not how hard you work anymore.
    You completely avoided the internet...

    Anyone has access to a computer... go to the library if you don't own one... Most poor people now days have smartphones. You can literally learn ANYTHING on the internet...

    A direct thing you can learn and get immediate results... is coding... THOUSANDS of free help programs and youtube guides on it.

  8. #198
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,065

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Its interesting you are under the impression that anyone can move up which isn't the case.

    If you are born into a poor household the vast majority of the time you'll remain poor. Blue collar work is pretty scarce and without that type of middle class moving up unless you invent something very profound, you will remain in the wage range you were born into.

    Its about who you know, not how hard you work anymore.
    Where do you get these silly ideas? Are you copying this stuff out of some play book? Do you actually believe this tripe?

  9. #199
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to say it isn't sustainable when there are several studies that show the price of the burger would rise perhaps by $1.

    While I don't know the magic minimum wage number, to think that we couldn't survive is nothing but a misnomer.

    People have been decrying wages since slavery was ended and probably before. In fact there have been several revolutions about it, I'd rather see companies actually take care of their employees as opposed to treating them like slightly better slaves.

    Do you want to return to the early 1940s?
    The error in logic that you've made is called an appeal to consequence.

    Appeal to Consequences

    Definition:

    The author points to the disagreeable consequences of holding a particular belief in order to show that this belief is false.
    The Logical Fallacies: Appeal to Consequences

    I'm presently in the restaurant business and am quite familiar with it's accounting. When the cost of labor exceeds the cost of automation, automation replaces labor as in the photo posted above. Labor costs, including labor burden and management labor can't exceed 30 percent in any restaurant if the restaurant is to remain profitable. Certainly a restaurant could raise it's prices to compensate with increased labor costs but that would result in lost sales as fast food becomes more unaffordable. It's a losing proposition for small business and it hurts labor as well because decreased business means fewer employees.

    We've already seen what happens when business reacts to higher labor costs. Look at Detroit or the auto industry in general. Now some seem to want to repeat the same error. A person's ability to earn is directly related to their ability to produce, not their ability to spend. Entry level jobs aren't intended to be a career. They are something to do while workers figure out something better or advance to in their station to management.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  10. #200
    Student Nicci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    03-16-16 @ 06:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You completely avoided the internet...

    Anyone has access to a computer... go to the library if you don't own one... Most poor people now days have smartphones. You can literally learn ANYTHING on the internet...

    A direct thing you can learn and get immediate results... is coding... THOUSANDS of free help programs and youtube guides on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Where do you get these silly ideas? Are you copying this stuff out of some play book? Do you actually believe this tripe?
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    The error in logic that you've made is called an appeal to consequence.



    The Logical Fallacies: Appeal to Consequences

    I'm presently in the restaurant business and am quite familiar with it's accounting. When the cost of labor exceeds the cost of automation, automation replaces labor as in the photo posted above. Labor costs, including labor burden and management labor can't exceed 30 percent in any restaurant if the restaurant is to remain profitable. Certainly a restaurant could raise it's prices to compensate with increased labor costs but that would result in lost sales as fast food becomes more unaffordable. It's a losing proposition for small business and it hurts labor as well because decreased business means fewer employees.

    We've already seen what happens when business reacts to higher labor costs. Look at Detroit or the auto industry in general. Now some seem to want to repeat the same error. A person's ability to earn is directly related to their ability to produce, not their ability to spend. Entry level jobs aren't intended to be a career. They are something to do while workers figure out something better or advance to in their station to management.
    Childhood Poverty Persistence: Facts and Consequences | Urban Institute

    New reports shows 70% of those born poor stay poor - Economy

    The Lingering Effects of Being Born into Poverty |

    I could go on, but you see the point I'm trying to make. The companies like to keep the poor, poor. It makes it much easier to exploit someone when they have little to no other options. This has been a reoccurring problem and minimum wage helped fix it, only now we are sliding back into the 1940s as minimum wage has not kept up with inflation in most areas of the country.

    If you wish to ignore this, then by all means, but don't try to claim the poor have it "easy" or can "easily get stuff if they work harder" as it isn't working harder that is the problem. It is who you know, networking is what gets you great jobs and the ability to move up. Sadly, being poor makes it hard to network as you are constantly being looked down on. As is ever present in this thread alone.
    "Love is a passion for life shared with another person."

    "How do you know the good memories from the bad, if you only have good ones."

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •