Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 383

Thread: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a rise

  1. #171
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Does anybody know with the increase to $15.00 just how much extra the employee would actually keep in his pocket considering he will have to start paying local, state and federal income taxes?
    It depends on the individual situation, but certainly far short of $15.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #172
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You are claiming you bought a new Fiero in 1987 for $3500.00 cash?

    Is that right?
    I wondered about that.
    A new car for $3,500 back in the early '70s would be about right, but in 1987, after OPEC and runaway inflation?

    So, I looked it up and found this:

    The 1986 Fiero GT, which at $12,999 cost nearly $4,000 more than the base model, came standard with the high-output, 140hp, 2.8-liter V-6 and dual exhausts, a Muncie-built Getrag five-speed manual transmission, staggered-width 15-inch diamond-spoke alloy wheels hiding four-wheel power disc brakes, an AM/FM/cassette stereo and a leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel. The GT cost $13,489 in 1987. Major alterations arrived in 1988 when the Fiero's front and rear suspensions were substantially upgraded, all brake discs were vented and the $13,999 GT's V-6 engine received an internally balanced crankshaft for greater smoothness.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #173
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    11-11-17 @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I wondered about that.
    A new car for $3,500 back in the early '70s would be about right, but in 1987, after OPEC and runaway inflation?

    So, I looked it up and found this:
    I had my Dad with me when I bought it with a trade in. He was magical with car salesman and taught me everything I know about haggling with them. I think it was a 86 because I bought a Mark Cross Lebaron in 1988 convertible used for 8800.00 which I paid cash for as well. The Pontiac...tho is looked like a sports car was a piece of junk..it only had a four cylinder and could barely get out of the way of itself. I was fresh out of college and driving about 500 miles per week in sales....I roasted through a lot of cars in the 80's and back then, once a car reached 70-100 thousand miles they turned into rattle traps. The Mustang I traded in for the Pontiac was a piece of crap too.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    I had my Dad with me when I bought it with a trade in. He was magical with car salesman and taught me everything I know about haggling with them. I think it was a 86 because I bought a Mark Cross Lebaron in 1988 convertible used for 8800.00 which I paid cash for as well. The Pontiac...tho is looked like a sports car was a piece of junk..it only had a four cylinder and could barely get out of the way of itself. I was fresh out of college and driving about 500 miles per week in sales....I roasted through a lot of cars in the 80's and back then, once a car reached 70-100 thousand miles they turned into rattle traps. The Mustang I traded in for the Pontiac was a piece of crap too.
    Should have gone with Honda. My '90 Accord went well over 200,000 miles.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #175
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Here is the real issue
    We’re here to tell McDonald’s and its shareholders to invest in the company and its workers instead of wealthy hedge fund managers and executives,”
    Which doesn't just stop at low wage jobs for those who stick their nose in the air, or heads in the sand. This is the new reality for mid wage and even professional jobs including those so called 'elusive' jobs in the STEM field. Maybe, if we include those jobs in the discussion too, people will address the issue trying to be made.

  6. #176
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    11-11-17 @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    You definitely have a liberal mindset concerning this subject. Maybe you are more centrist when it comes to other subjects, time will tell. Welcome to the forum by the way.

    First of all, I do not worship anyone, or anything, except the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I never even alluded to being on the side of overpaid CEOs, so please cut the crap. Nor am I glorifying them. You seem to be ignoring the fact that government regs and high taxes contribute just as much to jobs moving overseas as supposed "greed". I'm not just talking about EPA regulations, I'm talking about all of the onerous regulations and tax code issues which make running a business, especially a small business, very difficult (or, impossible in many cases). Did the regulations prevent the oil spill you mentioned? No, but they may have hampered other businesses who wouldn't have shirked their maintenance obligations. That's the trouble with modern liberalism, rather than enforce the laws against the law breakers, it seeks to punish everyone. Except, of course, libs doing the exact same things they deride conservatives for. Modern liberalism is the epitome of hypocrisy.

    If the left and government are soooo in favor of the "middle class", then why is it, the policies they craft always hurt the poor and middle class most?

    Also, when did I ever say I was in favor of smog?
    I work currently under more regulation than any other industry...health care and education. I can only imagine what healthcare would look like without regulation...it would be scary at best. I try not to identify with red or blue or left vs right...because currently, I can barely tell the difference between the two parties. Both parties could care less about the middle class and have always ignored the needs of the middle class. I think the middle class is ignored because we are too busy working our asses off to notice anything coming at us...and we accept the scraps thrown at us. The left proved just how little they cared about the middle class when the ACA was passed. As usual, the poor was taken care of and the rich benefited while the middle class paid the tab...again. Small business owners, for the most part fall under the middle class and have been screwed for years..no matter who is in the WH. The playing field is much different for large corporations..

    Many big U.S. corporations pay very little in taxes: study | Reuters

  7. #177
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    11-11-17 @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Should have gone with Honda. My '90 Accord went well over 200,000 miles.
    Honda's are what I evolved too and drive them to this day. My Honda Civic in 91, went well over 200,000 miles too. My Accord currently, I LOVE!! I used to trade for new cars every 3-4 years back then..now they last much longer, especially the Honda's.

  8. #178
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Nursmate View Post
    I work currently under more regulation than any other industry...health care and education. I can only imagine what healthcare would look like without regulation...it would be scary at best. I try not to identify with red or blue or left vs right...because currently, I can barely tell the difference between the two parties. Both parties could care less about the middle class and have always ignored the needs of the middle class. I think the middle class is ignored because we are too busy working our asses off to notice anything coming at us...and we accept the scraps thrown at us. The left proved just how little they cared about the middle class when the ACA was passed. As usual, the poor was taken care of and the rich benefited while the middle class paid the tab...again. Small business owners, for the most part fall under the middle class and have been screwed for years..no matter who is in the WH. The playing field is much different for large corporations..

    Many big U.S. corporations pay very little in taxes: study | Reuters
    Fair enough. We both seem to want the same thing, help for the common people, we just disagree on the path to that goal. I apologize for my earlier snarkyness.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    A well run corporation shouldn't pay much, if anything, in taxes. The people who profit from the corporation pay taxes, of course, but the corporate profits need to go to shareholders, to employees, to capital improvements. The balance sheet should be close to zero.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #180
    Advisor Nursmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    11-11-17 @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: McDonald's boss says he's "proud" of wages as thousands of workers call for a ris

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    A well run corporation shouldn't pay much, if anything, in taxes. The people who profit from the corporation pay taxes, of course, but the corporate profits need to go to shareholders, to employees, to capital improvements. The balance sheet should be close to zero.
    This is how I see it as well. If I were "large and in charge" LOL, Corporations would be tax exempt if they met the requirements of the report card to qualify. If they hire Americans on our own soil, pay a fair wage, and provide healthcare, they would be tax exempt. Now the CEO's are a different matter...they should pay their fair share of taxes as well.

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •