Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 379

Thread: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

  1. #31
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,680
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Ok, there's Venezuela who've also implemented many of the same destructive left wing policies that people like YOU claim will solve our economyic issues.

    They'reve made outsourcing illegal and have passed laws that protect the worker to the point where its nearly impossible to fire a unproductive employee.

    Now, they currently have the lowest productivity rates on the Continent and foreign investment has all but dried up completely.

    And why do you discount Argentina as a example of failed progressive policies ?

    Because its to good of a example ?
    No, because it reeks of cherry picking.


    In other words, Fenton, you are citing outliers. And I think you know it. It's OK, though. I'm not seriously debating you, I'm just killing time till CP responds to me post.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #32
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,680
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    One income is never enough...but it's a matter of degree, isn't it? Just because we can't make it "enough", what's wrong with making it better than "nowhere close to enough"?
    Because ALMOST enough isn't much better than "No where close to enough".
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,948
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Counter point...what will dems say when increases to minimum wage don't result in economic paradise?
    That min wage wasnt raised high enough.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Last Seen
    08-05-15 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    460

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Government mandated cost increases om businesses is just fodder for leftist idiots who have no idea how to grow economies.

    These Cities aren't " getting it " at all.

    Knee jerk simplton solutions that in the end drive out investment and jobs is one of the reasons California is currently home to 1/3 of the Nation's Welfare recipients.
    Then why is Unemployment in Seattle only 4% home of the highest minimum wage in the USA???

    Boeing, Microsoft, Alaska Airlines, Costco, Amazon, Starbucks, Tmobile, Seattle Seahawks, all economic powerhouses, I don't see them packing up and leaving, they are thriving I know I lived there, I don't see jack **** in comparison in the Red states..

    The ones that ARE NOT GETTING IT are the retarded red states that own the most poverty in the USA, where welfare is rampant you don't believe me google it simpleton..

    You wanna play the numbers game with me FINE, TexASS, still tops the census list of highest uninsured rates in the country, with nearly 30% of the folks there without help when they get sick, which is only a matter of time, the reason I bring up TexASS is because it's a right wingers wet dream..

    Oh and BTW THE LAST TIME Washington had a Repuke Governor was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy back in 1979!!!!!

    What the **** good does it do to have a job if you have no way to help yourself if you get sick??
    Last edited by ARTHUR 1976; 05-19-15 at 08:27 PM.

  5. #35
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,680
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    cpwill;1064638639] thanks bro. I look forward to calling you on that.
    You'll never have to. You are honest and forthright, even if I disagree with you on some stuff. I'll take an honest stance I disagree with all day over a lie I DO agree with. If that makes sense.



    1. I reject the idea that robots are going to replace all workers. That claim has been being made for centuries now, with as-of-yet no results. The combined ingenuity of humanity is incredible at putting un or under-utilized resources (such as labor) to making a profit. Machines change the nature of our workforce, and they change demand for particular kinds of labor. They aren't going to kick 90% of workers out of a job.
    I don't know, man. Programming has gotten downright scary in how eloquent it can be. Maybe 90% is a bit high...but even as low as, say, 70% of the work force is absolutely catastrophic, regardless if you're supply side OR demand side. I mean, it now takes, what, 20 people to churn out about 50 corvettes PER DAY. And that's a practical SUPER CAR. We are ever evolving out machines. Now, AI? I don't know about that. But does it take an AI to be able to do any sort of repetitive task? Nope. Just increasingly complex algorithms. I agree that SOME workers will find work else where, ESPECIALLY those with specialties currently NOT in demand...CREATIVES. All these kids with liberal arts degrees? They are, IMO, the future wage earners. Because crfeativity can not be automated. Yeah, a program can write an amalgamation of cords stolen from other symphonies, but it's not going to create anything new. It's not gonna go from realism, to minimalism, to cubism, etc, in terms of visual arts. That takes the spark that only we have on this planet, IMO. But a consumer economy can't survive on a bunch of artists.
    2. That being said, I agree that - as a political matter, some form of wealth redistribution is necessary in order to increase stability.

    [indent]2a. However, a minimum wage isn't a means of wealth redistribution. It's just a price-floor. One that serves to keep our lowest-educated and lowest-skilled potential workers trapped out of the market. There are people whose value-added is not $15 an hour. A $15 an hour MW doesn't redistribute skills to them, or redistribute work experience. It also doesn't redistribute money. All it does is make them structurally unemployable.
    What else is there? I balk at the idea of a maximum wage, which would be FAR more effective. To me, that's much more disgusting. How else do we FORCE someone to take LESS pay in order to give out MORE pay to their workers? Because that is what this is about.


    I am mid post on this, so I'll address that in the other thread, once I read it, lol. Too many windows open, my old POS computer might decide to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #36
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,680
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Sort of. It's very similar to the automobile in that regard. We had multiple large industries that were built around the assumption that the horse would continue to be the main form of transportation - leather workers, farriers, vets, stables, poop-scoopers, you name it. Put out of work when the automobile came along and took over American society. But are we dominated today by hordes of jobless blacksmiths and horse-trainers? No. Those workers were reallocated to other tasks once their labor became available.

    That's what the market does when a resource (such as labor) becomes available - it allocates it to a productive end. So long as some bright fool doesn't come along with a jacked up idea for a price floor on that item that makes it prohibitive to use.
    We still have black smiths, they just dress different, and are called machinists. And there are far fewer of them. Same with coach builders. Etc. And while we don't have an issue with out of work people in these trades (well, not really), that is because automation wasn't around for this time period. I think you are severely underestimating the functionality of current technology. You are comparing economic movements of yesteryear to today. And that doesn't work, because the conditions are nowhere near the same.

    Ah yes, of course..... this time it's always different.... because it is. Got it.
    A book. By two authors. Well, short of citing some stuff from this book, this is just more of the same, comparing past events to current ones, even though the variables are no where near the same. I mean, I get what you are saying. I simply think you are not respecting the distance we have come, technologically. Deep blue defeated Gary Kasparov.


    sometimes I do get bored and leave threads. I don't think I've ever conceded in an argument about whether or not there would be a demand for low-income labor were it allowed.
    Current demand =/= current supply. That's what this is all about. Manual labor jobs being down by machines, reducing demand for humans for such work.
    Simply because you lack imagination to come up with new ways to use low-income workers does not mean that the aggregate ingenuity of 330 million people will. You are pretty smart, but you aren't that smart - none of us are:
    Ahhh, Paul Krugman, poor guy. I wonder if it's a sore subject? Does it come up at dinner parties?
    So, I don't doubt that there are people out there that will think of things to make people do for money. And I don't doubt that they will have the money to offer to make those people do those things.
    My question is, is that the best way to proceed?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Last Seen
    08-05-15 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    460

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    .....You do know that's because minimum wage workers in those cities can't afford to live there..... right?



    indeed. Freedom is Slavery. Trust The Collective.
    I lived in Seattle for 3 years, and didn't make that much, but I always paid my rent on time, put food on the table, and bought extras when needed, so you don't know dick about who can afford what, you make your bills, you wanna drive a 20 thousand dollar car, wear suits all the time, and shop , shop , shop, and live over your means of course you will have problems anywhere, you have to know how to budget..

    Of course rent will be higher for a condo in New York city, then living in some cesspool toxic trailer park in Redneck Mississippi, because there ain't **** there, and no way to make real money, you get what you pay for in life, you turds on the right should know that..

    Newsflash that's why they call it a living wage, you go where the money is, not some piece of **** poverty ridden red state where the median income is too low for even a rat to live on, Mississipp, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, all **** states where poverty is rampant..

  8. #38
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,680
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    I can't seem to post in the Loft, however, I will note that after going through the thread, it DOES seem promising. I know you balk at taxing capital gains, but doing so will eliminate one avenue for tax dodgers. I don't truly care TO tax capital gains, however, failure to do so will just result in avoidance by those that can afford to utilize it. I call that the Warren Buffet dodge.

    I will trust that the numbers work out, in terms of income vs spending trajectories. And it solves the issue of making more and bringing home less at certain pay scales, which I am currently dealing with. I get paid more than I did a year ago, and bring home less. Which has prompted me to simply put more into my 401K, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #39
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,680
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTHUR 1976 View Post
    I lived in Seattle for 3 years, and didn't make that much, but I always paid my rent on time, put food on the table, and bought extras when needed, so you don't know dick about who can afford what, you make your bills, you wanna drive a 20 thousand dollar car, wear suits all the time, and shop , shop , shop, and live over your means of course you will have problems anywhere, you have to know how to budget..

    Of course rent will be higher for a condo in New York city, then living in some cesspool toxic trailer park in Redneck Mississippi, because there ain't **** there, and no way to make real money, you get what you pay for in life, you turds on the right should know that..

    Newsflash that's why they call it a living wage, you go where the money is, not some piece of **** poverty ridden red state where the median income is too low for even a rat to live on, Mississipp, Arkansas, Alabama, Louisiana, all **** states where poverty is rampant..
    Funny story, though.


    All of us North East liberals are going to be RETIRING in those states, because the money we MADE goes a LOT farther there.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,736

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    No, because it reeks of cherry picking.


    In other words, Fenton, you are citing outliers. And I think you know it. It's OK, though. I'm not seriously debating you, I'm just killing time till CP responds to me post.
    Cherry picking ?

    Its absolutely relevant.

    Youre the one cherry picking by ignoring just how destructive policies like these are AFTER THEY'VE BEEN APPLIED in places like Argentina.
    " If no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else ? "
    Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •