Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 379

Thread: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

  1. #351
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    Yes, I have and do.
    Fair enough. Then I do not understand your position that wages can simply be artificially raised without any effect whatsoever on the business. It doesn't make sense.

    May I ask what business you are in? Government contracts/subsidies? Owner? Manager? I'm just curious, I won't try and cut you down for it.

  2. #352
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Fair enough. Then I do not understand your position that wages can simply be artificially raised without any effect whatsoever on the business. It doesn't make sense.

    May I ask what business you are in? Government contracts/subsidies? Owner? Manager? I'm just curious, I won't try and cut you down for it.
    I never claimed with no effect. Please reread my post.

    To your other query, as of most recently, I own and manage a materials modeling/discovery ,consulting, and visualization company. The avatar should be a clue. We pursue contracts with parties in all sectors. I employ 4 people including myself, all as part time/ side jobs for now;hopefully we will grow to full time within 24 months.
    Last edited by SlevinKelevra; 05-23-15 at 01:48 PM.

  3. #353
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    usually pro-business ideals drive economic activity. that in turns creates more jobs and more demand for workers. higher demand for workers leads
    to higher wages as companies seek workers to come work for them.
    That's not logically consistant.

    Do you own a business? If so, have you ever hired someone just because legislation became more "business friendly"?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,626

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    That's not logically consistant.

    Do you own a business? If so, have you ever hired someone just because legislation became more "business friendly"?
    it is 100% logically consistent.

    no I hire more people because that business friendly legislation allows me to grow and run my business the way I need to.
    Business friendly legislation allows me to invest money into the business instead of spending it on government demands.

    more money = more growth = the need for more workers = higher wages to get workers.

    however the wages need to get set for the job the person is doing.

    please go open a fast food business and pay everyone 15 an hour and see how long you stay in business.
    heck do that with any small business.

  5. #355
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    it is 100% logically consistent.

    no I hire more people because that business friendly legislation allows me to grow and run my business the way I need to.
    Business friendly legislation allows me to invest money into the business instead of spending it on government demands.

    more money = more growth = the need for more workers = higher wages to get workers.

    however the wages need to get set for the job the person is doing.

    please go open a fast food business and pay everyone 15 an hour and see how long you stay in business.
    heck do that with any small business.
    More demand leads to more growth.

    Yours is a foolish business plan. You propose to expand your business simply because you have more money to do so via a more "business friendly" government.

    I hope you don't apply for loans with that sort of logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #356
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,016

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    More demand leads to more growth.

    Yours is a foolish business plan. You propose to expand your business simply because you have more money to do so via a more "business friendly" government.

    I hope you don't apply for loans with that sort of logic.
    Isnt that exactly how one applies for loans? More money to expand the business which will result in more profit. How is that any different than having more money through less taxation/regulation? Its better even because its your own money, not debt.

  7. #357
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Isnt that exactly how one applies for loans? More money to expand the business which will result in more profit. How is that any different than having more money through less taxation/regulation? Its better even because its your own money, not debt.
    Uh, no. You apply for loans via providing some form of evidence or a promise of ability to REPAY those loans. IE, I am experiencing increased demand, I need some capital in order to to get me started funding increased growth to MEET those demands.


    Anything is putting the cart before the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #358
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Isnt that exactly how one applies for loans? More money to expand the business which will result in more profit. How is that any different than having more money through less taxation/regulation? Its better even because its your own money, not debt.
    To expound.....



    More money = more growth?


    So all I gotta do is tell the bank, give me a million dollar loan, and due to that money, I'll make money, pay back the loan plus interest?


    Even fit shafed drunk, I can debunk this flawed logiuc, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #359
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    THAT, sir, is why I linked to someone who did know the business, and who could speak about the level of competition in the area - establishments just like hers who are NOT going out of business. AND I included links showing that ONE business failure - in an industry with the highest rate of failure even in the best of times - is not a big deal at all.

    But of course since these FACTS don't fit your narrative, you decide that they are of no consequence.



    And we're doing just fine here in the Seattle area even with that minimum wage hike. But of course our economic success is something you must ignore since that doesn't fit your narrative.



    Not a strawman - a challenge. Go live in a nation that doesn't have a significant minimum wage or strong unionization, stay there for a while, then get back to us and tell us how wonderful the economy there is.
    You say that seattle is doing just fine with the new min wage. You think that has anything to do with the fact that the new wage was only raised to 11 per hour back on April 1st and won't get to 15 for 3 years for large businesses. Pretty silly to bragg about the success when it hasn't even happened yet.
    Atleast try and be honest when you debate.

  10. #360
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    We'll see in the years to come, won't we?



    I am a small business owner. We've got a small store where we do airline ticketing (at rates that are almost always lower than anything you find online), package shipping, and money remittance. We also have another small business where we provide home care to an elderly lady with dementia, and another one where we provide home care to a young man (who was our Foster child since he was four) who has fetal drug syndrome - he has a trach, a g-tube, rods in his back, seizure disorders, cleft palate, and is also developmentally-disabled.

    So yes, we DO own three small businesses and we DO have employees. Are you doing as much? Perhaps you are - I don't want to make the same mistake you just made by assuming that I don't know anything about running a business.
    So you own two businesses that each take care of one person. Well I guess you did say they were small.

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •