Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 379

Thread: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

  1. #311
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,110

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    Perhaps by comfortably, he meant not needing transfer payments (handouts for the lazy!!!!) to cover what serves as the bare minimum of survival in a supposed 1st world country : rent, food, car/bus, electricity, water, cell phone (yes, that is a job requirement nowadays in the food service industry), insurance, and clothing/laundry.

    Since people abuse "welfare" (or so I'm told), why not cut out the middle man? A living wage does exactly that.
    How can you artificially create a "living wage. " whether the work produced warrants it or not?

  2. #312
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    How can you artificially create a "living wage. " whether the work produced warrants it or not?
    Ummm, I just defined how.

  3. #313
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,202

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    really....ten new upstarts for every one that closes?

    if that really was the case, the LA basin unemployment rate would be at 2-3% tops

    last i saw...it was over 8%

    and that doesnt include the huge undocumented population there
    Most people don't want part time minimum wage jobs, and L.A. county has 18.55 million people, 3.9 in L.A. proper. 1.4 million out of 18.55 million is pretty damn good given today's job market. Average rents in the basin are $2043. So it takes $11.07 an hour just to make the rent. In San Francisco, the average rents are $3000.00 a month, so that's $17.00 an hour. Now this is just - to - make - the - rent.

    So, $15 bucks an hour pretty much hits the nail on the head don't it. Still need two incomes per family - on minimum wage to make it and never mind kids.

    Point is, you contrarians really have no idea what you're talking about. As for business! Hey, if you're not selling ice cream in the desert, then that's you're problem.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  4. #314
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,791

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Most people don't want part time minimum wage jobs, and L.A. county has 18.55 million people, 3.9 in L.A. proper. 1.4 million out of 18.55 million is pretty damn good given today's job market. Average rents in the basin are $2043. So it takes $11.07 an hour just to make the rent. In San Francisco, the average rents are $3000.00 a month, so that's $17.00 an hour. Now this is just - to - make - the - rent.

    So, $15 bucks an hour pretty much hits the nail on the head don't it. Still need two incomes per family - on minimum wage to make it and never mind kids.

    Point is, you contrarians really have no idea what you're talking about. As for business! Hey, if you're not selling ice cream in the desert, then that's you're problem.

    no new upstarts means new businesses ready to open the doors

    business people are leaving california, not coming there


    Roy Farmer, 20, went door-to-door in Los Angeles with his bags of home-roasted coffee beans. By the 1930s, Farmer Brothers was selling coffee to restaurants throughout the nation. Today the company employs 1,200 men and women and generates $200 million in annual sales to restaurants, convenience stores, hospitals, hotels and universities.

    But after surviving depressions, recessions, earthquakes and wars, Farmer Brothers is leaving California, finally driven out by high taxes and oppressive regulations.

    The company says it’s fleeing in search of a place where business is appreciated. Relocating its corporate headquarters and distribution facilities from to a friendlier location, Farmer Brothers expects to save $15 million a year. Company executives are looking at Dallas and Oklahoma City. The relocation will bear real consequences for California. Nearly 350 workers will lose their well-paying jobs in Los Angeles alone.

    Farmer Brothers is following Toyota, whose U.S. sales and marketing headquarters was barely a mile from the company’s main office, and has gone to Texas. Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems, eBay, Occidental Petroleum and firearms retailer RifleGear followed. Nissan bailed to Tennessee.

    Most companies leaving California, reports the Orange County Register, usually depart to Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah or Florida. A study of business tax climates by the Tax Foundation finds that California’s businesses face the third-highest state and local business tax burdens in America. The Tax Foundation ranks Nevada third among the friendliest states for business, followed by Florida (fifth), Utah (ninth) and Texas (10th).

    EDITORIAL: Businesses flee California's high taxes and regulations - Washington Times

    might want to recheck companies leaving the land of the fruits
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #315
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,791

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    What is particularly saddening is to see a state whose success was achieved because it was a Mecca for the adventurous in spirit do everything possible to crush that spirit and drive away those who have it.

    There is a silver lining here: clarity. Americans living elsewhere need not elect liberal Democrats to know what will happen if they do. They only need to look at California if they want to see what happens to a state governed by the left (and, for that matter, they can look at Texas to see what happens to a state's finances when governed by the right).

    The left and its teachers unions have ruined public education in California. The left and its public service unions have saddled the state with $500 billion in unfunded pension liability. California's left-governed cities have set themselves up as "sanctuary cities" for those who have come into America illegally. And the left passes more and more rules governing the behavior of California citizens. Two examples: San Francisco just banned McDonald Happy Meals because they come with a toy and therefore entice children to eat fattening food; and the Democratic legislature has made it illegal for a California employer — even in a retail operation — to ask a male employee who comes to work wearing a dress to wear men's clothing while at work.

    And to render the Titanic analogy even more accurate, Californians voted to retain a law that was described by George Will as one "that preposterously aims to cool the planet by requiring a 30 percent reduction of carbon emissions by 2020."

    That law will ensure that California taxes energy use more than any other state. That, in turn, is guaranteed to increase unemployment and the cost of living in the state — one more reason businesses and productive individuals are leaving, but rarely moving, into California.

    How Do California and the Titanic Differ? by Dennis Prager on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #316
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,202

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    no new upstarts means new businesses ready to open the doors

    business people are leaving california, not coming there


    Roy Farmer, 20, went door-to-door in Los Angeles with his bags of home-roasted coffee beans. By the 1930s, Farmer Brothers was selling coffee to restaurants throughout the nation. Today the company employs 1,200 men and women and generates $200 million in annual sales to restaurants, convenience stores, hospitals, hotels and universities.

    But after surviving depressions, recessions, earthquakes and wars, Farmer Brothers is leaving California, finally driven out by high taxes and oppressive regulations.

    The company says it’s fleeing in search of a place where business is appreciated. Relocating its corporate headquarters and distribution facilities from to a friendlier location, Farmer Brothers expects to save $15 million a year. Company executives are looking at Dallas and Oklahoma City. The relocation will bear real consequences for California. Nearly 350 workers will lose their well-paying jobs in Los Angeles alone.

    Farmer Brothers is following Toyota, whose U.S. sales and marketing headquarters was barely a mile from the company’s main office, and has gone to Texas. Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems, eBay, Occidental Petroleum and firearms retailer RifleGear followed. Nissan bailed to Tennessee.

    Most companies leaving California, reports the Orange County Register, usually depart to Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah or Florida. A study of business tax climates by the Tax Foundation finds that California’s businesses face the third-highest state and local business tax burdens in America. The Tax Foundation ranks Nevada third among the friendliest states for business, followed by Florida (fifth), Utah (ninth) and Texas (10th).

    EDITORIAL: Businesses flee California's high taxes and regulations - Washington Times

    might want to recheck companies leaving the land of the fruits
    Might want to live around here in order to get a grip on what's really going on.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #317
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Abilene Texas
    Last Seen
    06-07-17 @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,791

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Might want to live around here in order to get a grip on what's really going on.
    grew up in Vista

    pop was stationed at pendleton

    love certain things about the state....hate others

    the paradise of weather, and beauty has been ruined by the politics of the state

    i originally was going to retire there....no more

    Either Sante Fe, or El Paso.....just havent decided which
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #318
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Most people don't want part time minimum wage jobs, and L.A. county has 18.55 million people, 3.9 in L.A. proper. 1.4 million out of 18.55 million is pretty damn good given today's job market. Average rents in the basin are $2043. So it takes $11.07 an hour just to make the rent. In San Francisco, the average rents are $3000.00 a month, so that's $17.00 an hour. Now this is just - to - make - the - rent.

    So, $15 bucks an hour pretty much hits the nail on the head don't it. Still need two incomes per family - on minimum wage to make it and never mind kids.

    Point is, you contrarians really have no idea what you're talking about. As for business! Hey, if you're not selling ice cream in the desert, then that's you're problem.
    No idea what we're talking about?

    LA County has just a shade over 10 million, not 18.55 million.

    Los Angeles County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

    Unemployment rates are not a reflection of the total population, as you have calculated with your 1.4 million figure from the bogus 18.55 million.

    The average rent in the City of Los Angeles is indeed $2,043, as reported by Rent Jungle, but rents across the city vary across an extremely wide margin, which throws your calculations into the dumpster.

    http://planning.lacity.org/MapGaller...tyBoundary.pdf

    LA Boundry.JPG

    Perhaps you should reacquaint yourself with the city boundary's, as well as some facts, before staking any intellectual high ground jet57.

  9. #319
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,110

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    Ummm, I just defined how.
    What you described is unsustainable.

  10. #320
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,855

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yeah, minimum wage and lack of unionization are the only things keeping people down in third world countries. Despotic governments play no role whatsoever.
    Actually, if you go to such places, there's a lot whose governments are not despotic. Why? Look at many - perhaps most - third-world democracies. A despotic regime means that the government is very strong, that it doesn't have much difficulty enforcing what the despot wants.

    But if you spent much time in third-world DEMOCRACIES, you'd find that most are not despotic, and that the governments are weak and and are thus unable to enforce laws that the corporations don't want to obey. In such places, the market truly reigns supreme...

    ...and if you're not willing to work for peanuts, you won't get a job at all.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •