Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 379

Thread: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

  1. #301
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    22,993

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yet the people buying my stuff are in the outer lying area's they are were I am at.
    they won't travel to those area's which means I lose my business.

    I have what you say makes no sense.

    " the people buying my stuff are in the outer lying area's they are were I am at".


    "I have what you say makes no sense".



    What?

    No sense you say?
    “looking with fondness towards a reconciliation with Great Britain…I…would rather be dependent on Great Britain, properly limited, than with any other nation on earth or on no nation”. Thomas Jefferson; August 25 1775

  2. #302
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,718

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Good news for the fight against income inequality.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/us...hour.html?_r=0

    The nation’s second-largest city voted on Tuesday to increase its minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020 from the current $9 an hour, in what is perhaps the most significant victory so far in the national push to raise the minimum wage. The increase — which the Los Angeles City Council passed in a 14-1 vote — comes as workers across the country are rallying for higher wages, and several large companies, including Facebook and Walmart, have moved to raise their lowest wages. Several other cities, including San Francisco, Seattle and Oakland, Calif., have already approved increases, and dozens more are considering doing the same. In 2014, a number of Republican-leaning states like Alaska and South Dakota also raised their state-level minimum wage by referendum. The impact is likely to be particularly strong in Los Angeles, where, according to some estimates, more than 40 percent of the city’s work force earns less than $15 an hour.
    So long as LA doesnt force it on my city, good for them. I fully support local governance.

  3. #303
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    Id bet anything that ABOLISHING the minimum wage would make wages raise faster than artificially raising the minimum wage for political reasons.
    You come to this conclusion because raises for the lowest paid workers were rising fast before there was a MW? Employers would raise wages out of the goodness in their hearts? The minimum wage came about when owners arbitrarily CUT wages. To combat deflation, the government instituted the MW.

    There is no evidence AT ALL that abolishing the minimum wage would make wages raise faster. That's just absurd and fantasy.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  4. #304
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,144

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Good news for the fight against income inequality.
    Yeah, fifteen bucks an hour. Those people will be catching up with those evil millionaires and billionaires in no time.

  5. #305
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    So why do we "need" a $15 an hour minimum wage? Just a couple of years ago it was normal to work 40+ hours a week. Then came Obamacare and redefined the full time work week as 30 hours. Basically the government told employers to either cut their employees to 30 hours or less or face huge fines in the form of being forced to pay for their health insurance. Not the way most people perceive it, but that is essentially what happened. Again, this from a government that only pretends to care about debt and deficits, they could have simply paid for everyone to be insured, but again that is not the purpose.

    So the employers (many of them) complied and cut hours. then people who used to work 40+ hours were working less than 30 but they still had the same bills to pay. Higher bills actually, because health insurance costs went up too. So rather than get a second job, which would be difficult for many because of secondary commute times and scheduling, they turned to the same government that f#$%@d it all up to fix it, and the proposal was to once again lie to the low earners and blame the employers. Because that is how this administration works.
    You are perpetuating falsehoods. Although conservatives claimed that Obamacare forced more part-time jobs, it isn't true. In fact, there’s no evidence that the ACA is forcing a shift to part-time work, according to the Urban Institute and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation report.

    Business Insider: The Myth That Obamacare Is Destroying Full-Time Jobs Just Got Debunked

    According to the BLS household survey, part-time jobs fell 594,000 in September while full-time workers were up 691,000.
    This was one hopeful nugget in an otherwise lackluster jobs report.
    Workers are considered to be "part time" if they work under 35 hours a week.
    Earlier this summer, when part-time numbers looked like they might be on the rise, some speculated that the shift was due to the employer mandate in the Affordable Care Act.
    Under Obamacare, employers will be required to offer health insurance or face penalties (the White House recently announced it will delay enforcement until 2015). Some companies have said they will reduce their full-time staff to below the 50-employee threshold as a result, or simply shave back full-timers' hours.
    "If the health law were driving employers to cut employees’ hours, the most vulnerable workers would likely be those working just above the 30-hour cutoff," writes the Wall Street Journal's Ben Casselman. "That means the data would show a decline in those working 30 to 34 hours and an increase in those working less than 30 hours." He explains:
    That isn’t what’s happening. The share of part-timers who say they usually work between 30 and 34 hours at their main job has been roughly flat over the past three years, at about 28%. (September data aren’t yet available.) If anything, it’s actually risen in the past year, though the change has been minor. The share working just under 30 hours has indeed risen somewhat, but the share working under 25 hours has fallen—suggesting that employers are giving part-timers more hours, rather than cutting full-timers’ hours back.
    As for your claim that "they [the government] could have simply paid for everyone to be insured, but again that is not the purpose." It was hard enough getting Obamacare passed conservatives. Single-payer just isn't in the cards.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Yeah, fifteen bucks an hour. Those people will be catching up with those evil millionaires and billionaires in no time.
    Some people are content with just living comfortably.

  7. #307
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,144

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Some people are content with just living comfortably.
    Fifteen bucks an hour ain't living too comfortably in southern California. Besides, what does that have to do with your claim that this is somehow a victory for income inequality?

  8. #308
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    LOL of course you do everyone is everything on the internet.
    you don't pay 15 bucks an hour either on every position you have.

    you pay the market rate for the job the person is doing.
    And if you lived in a country that didn't have a significant minimum wage or strong unionization, you'd find out really quickly just how low that market rate suddenly becomes. Why? Because in a country where people need jobs in order to live, people will work for $1 per hour and be glad they've got that...because it's either that, or they turn to a life of crime.

    I've seen this, guy - this IS the way it works in almost every single country out there that has neither a minimum wage nor strong unionization.

    You really should live overseas in a third-world nation for a while. Get to really know the locals, how they live, how they do business. It's a real eye-opener - and you learn things you never could from television or the internet. What I'm telling you about your "market rate" fantasy is one of those lessons, that relying on on a "market rate" for pay results in poverty far worse than anything we have here in America.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #309
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,144

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And if you lived in a country that didn't have a significant minimum wage or strong unionization, you'd find out really quickly just how low that market rate suddenly becomes. Why? Because in a country where people need jobs in order to live, people will work for $1 per hour and be glad they've got that...because it's either that, or they turn to a life of crime.

    I've seen this, guy - this IS the way it works in almost every single country out there that has neither a minimum wage nor strong unionization.

    You really should live overseas in a third-world nation for a while. Get to really know the locals, how they live, how they do business. It's a real eye-opener - and you learn things you never could from television or the internet. What I'm telling you about your "market rate" fantasy is one of those lessons, that relying on on a "market rate" for pay results in poverty far worse than anything we have here in America.
    Yeah, minimum wage and lack of unionization are the only things keeping people down in third world countries. Despotic governments play no role whatsoever.

  10. #310
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Fifteen bucks an hour ain't living too comfortably in southern California. Besides, what does that have to do with your claim that this is somehow a victory for income inequality?
    Perhaps by comfortably, he meant not needing transfer payments (handouts for the lazy!!!!) to cover what serves as the bare minimum of survival in a supposed 1st world country : rent, food, car/bus, electricity, water, cell phone (yes, that is a job requirement nowadays in the food service industry), insurance, and clothing/laundry.

    Since people abuse "welfare" (or so I'm told), why not cut out the middle man? A living wage does exactly that.

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •