Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 379

Thread: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    Wow, LA by proclamation has suspended a law of economics! Amazing. I can't wait till they issue another proclamation that sellers must sell below cost because they can always make it up in volume. Venezuelan economic decrees in America, can't wait!
    The minimum wage is 80 years old and yet America continues to have a resilient and robust economy.

    The problem is that the myths that conservatives convince themselves are real, like increasing the minimum wage will cause people to lose their jobs and it will drive out small businesses, are not real.
    Minimum Wage Mythbusters - U.S. Department of Labor
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  2. #222
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    05-28-16 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    businesses are leaving or closing down. that is why CA has some of the highest poverty rates in the country and more people on government assistance.
    it has been going on for years.

    yep if I owned a cupcake shop in CA I would shut it down and move to NV where I can operate efficiently.
    it isn't a matter of selling cupcakes.

    it is the matter of making enough money off of them to continue operating.
    I mean if you will buy 10 dollar cupcakes then please do I will stay in business.
    what if there is no demand for cupcakes in NV ?

  3. #223
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,211

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    Wow, LA by proclamation has suspended a law of economics! Amazing. I can't wait till they issue another proclamation that sellers must sell below cost because they can always make it up in volume. Venezuelan economic decrees in America, can't wait!
    Economics has laws? I've always thought of them as opinions.

  4. #224
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by WSUwarrior View Post
    A pay raise for minimum wage losers is a pay cut for everyone else.
    Thank you for reading your bumper sticker. That doesn't make it so and insulting hard-working Americans by calling them "losers" doesn't help your case. The reality is low earning workers are constrained at what they can purchase. If they earned more, they could consume more. Remember, their earnings are your income. If they have more income, you get more sales, which means you earn more.

    Moreover, when minimum wage workers get raises, their pay bumps up against supervisory workers, who then demand higher wages.

    Contrarily, a pay raise for minimum wage Americans is a pay raise for everyone else.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,228

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin
    businesses are leaving or closing down. that is why CA has some of the highest poverty rates in the country and more people on government assistance.
    it has been going on for years.

    yep if I owned a cupcake shop in CA I would shut it down and move to NV where I can operate efficiently.
    it isn't a matter of selling cupcakes.

    it is the matter of making enough money off of them to continue operating.
    I mean if you will buy 10 dollar cupcakes then please do I will stay in business.
    What you believe is (once again) wrong. There are studies that conclude otherwise: Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage | The Seattle Times



    The study was done by Nicholas Potter, now a researcher at Washington State University. He said some businesses in Santa Fe did close and some said it hurt their competitiveness. But workers were overwhelmingly positive about the pay hike. And the fear of massive restaurant closures didn’t happen, he said, though the cost of eating out did go up some.

    “It seemed to have helped workers and not hurt business too much,” he said.

    Cost of eating out

    Potential price increases at restaurants was the biggest negative impact identified by the Berkeley researchers. The cost of eating out went up 2 to 3 percent when the minimum wage rose 25 percent. That means dining out in Seattle could go up as much as 7 percent if the city goes to $15 an hour.

    But another Berkeley researcher said there isn’t an overwhelmingly negative impact on any type of business where the minimum wage has been raised.

    There is considerable churn among small businesses. Firms are going out of business and new businesses are rising all of the time. What is important from the research is that you do not see a net decline in employment as a result of the minimum-wage ordinances,” said Ken Jacobs, chairman of the Berkeley Center for Labor Research and Education.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." --J.S. Mill

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    05-28-16 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    What you believe is (once again) wrong. There are studies that conclude otherwise: Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage | The Seattle Times


    It's almost as if market demand for your good/service dictates your needed personnel/staffing, and you adapt your business model to absorb a slightly higher labor cost.
    Who could have figured that out.

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    What would be nice is if employers just told those looking for $15 an hour for unskilled labor "No". Simple enough. The employer understands their bottom line and how wages affect pricing. Those claiming it won't cause inflation are... minimum wage earners. Who do you listen to when it comes to business expenses, the guy who runs the business and sees all the numbers or the guy who asks if you want fries with that?

  8. #228
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    05-28-16 @ 11:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    What would be nice is if employers just told those looking for $15 an hour for unskilled labor "No". Simple enough. The employer understands their bottom line and how wages affect pricing. Those claiming it won't cause inflation are... minimum wage earners. Who do you listen to when it comes to business expenses, the guy who runs the business and sees all the numbers or the guy who asks if you want fries with that?
    The old cut off your nose to spite your face policy.
    No employees = no goods/services made = no sales = no revenue = no profit = business closed.

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,378

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    What you believe is (once again) wrong. There are studies that conclude otherwise: Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage | The Seattle Times

    what does seattle have to do with LA? nothing.

    way to ignore an article I posted from the University of san Diego that proves this wrong. (could have been a different thread but I do believe it was this one)
    $15 Minimum Wage Will Hurt Workers - Bloomberg View

    then there is the scale of economics.

    you raise the minimum wage to 15 all those people making 15 an hour want a substantial raise above that otherwise they are simply working minimum wage jobs when their skills go beyond that.

    this really means massive price increase. the computer guy making 15 now wants 20 or 25. of course this doesn't mean he gets it which means you have
    just devalued his job skills and education.
    Last edited by ludin; 05-22-15 at 08:15 AM.

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,378

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    The old cut off your nose to spite your face policy.
    No employees = no goods/services made = no sales = no revenue = no profit = business closed.
    there are plenty of people wanting jobs. they will take it.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •