Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 379

Thread: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

  1. #101
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,823

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Do you beat up strawmen that much?

    Have you anything showing that the fact that a nation has a significant minimum wage is affected at all by that nation's currency not being the fiat currency around the world?

    Didn't think so.
    Hah, you made a strawman!

    My point was that the US economy is better than all three of your examples so using them as an example of how awesome an economy you can have with a high minimum wage is pretty silly.

    Also, adjusting for currencies, I get the following

    Minimum Wage in New Zealand: $7.35 US

    Minimum Wage in Canada: $9.00 US

    Minimum Wage Australia: $13.34 US

    Cost of Living Adjustment:

    Effective minimum Wage in New Zealand: $6.02

    Effective Minimum Wage in Canada: $8.42

    Effective Minimum wage in Australia: $10.27

    So only Australia has a significantly higher minimum wage, but that wage only applies to adults, and I would like to see how many "adults" do menial labor in Australia.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 05-20-15 at 02:30 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Hah, you made a strawman!

    My point was that the US economy is better than all three of your examples so using them as an example of how awesome an economy you can have with a high minimum wage is pretty silly.
    Let me get this straight - you include an obvious strawman that has ZERO effect on the main issue, I point out your strawman and ask you if you have anything to prove your contention...

    ...and you're claiming I'm making a strawman by pointing out your strawman and asking you to back it up????

    I suggest you go learn a bit about what a strawman argument is.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #103
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,823

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Let me get this straight - you include an obvious strawman that has ZERO effect on the main issue, I point out your strawman and ask you if you have anything to prove your contention...

    ...and you're claiming I'm making a strawman by pointing out your strawman and asking you to back it up????

    I suggest you go learn a bit about what a strawman argument is.
    No, IO am saying you are making a straw man argument by arguing against an a statement I never made.

    My point is that the US economy is so strong historically that the US dollar is the fiat currency of the world.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,339

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Try backing up what you said with references. And I do so encourage you to try to use Seattle as an example...because I'll slap that one down very easily.
    here is at least one in seattle and many more are claiming the same thing.
    Owner of pizza shop says new Seattle minimum wage law is forcing her to close | Q13 FOX News

    there are at least 2 reported book stores one in san fran the other in LA that are closing up because they can't afford the pay increases.
    I am sure more will follow suit as the pay begins to creep up however it is still early.

    already businesses are starting to raise prices, cut hours and people.

    amazing isn't it.

    of course all of this is in the news if you read something other than media matters.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,339

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Hah, you made a strawman!

    My point was that the US economy is better than all three of your examples so using them as an example of how awesome an economy you can have with a high minimum wage is pretty silly.

    Also, adjusting for currencies, I get the following

    Minimum Wage in New Zealand: $7.35 US

    Minimum Wage in Canada: $9.00 US

    Minimum Wage Australia: $13.34 US

    Cost of Living Adjustment:

    Effective minimum Wage in New Zealand: $6.02

    Effective Minimum Wage in Canada: $8.42

    Effective Minimum wage in Australia: $10.27

    So only Australia has a significantly higher minimum wage, but that wage only applies to adults, and I would like to see how many "adults" do menial labor in Australia.
    don't use facts when appeals to emotion are so much better.

  6. #106
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Do you beat up strawmen that much?

    Have you anything showing that the fact that a nation has a significant minimum wage is affected at all by that nation's currency not being the fiat currency around the world?

    Didn't think so.
    I hate to tell you Glen, but that wasn't a strawman argument.


  7. #107
    Sage

    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    near Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,591

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTHUR 1976 View Post
    You have made some solid points! And I agree with most of it,, Seattle , Frisco, New York, all Liberal utopias shooting for the 15 movement, are all very well educated cities, with strong economies, moral of the story live in a Blue city and you will find yourself in a much more educated productive environment..

    Repugs, and Cons, refuse to acknowledge for whatever reason known only to themselves, is that the 15:hour gig, will result in less turnover, a higher morale which leads to more productivity, and the more folks make the more they will pump into the local economy, and workers won't need welfare to subsidize their poor **** wages, which cost taxpayers more, and a happy employee is more motivated and everybody wins..

    how much more productivity can a cashier have?

    or the janitor?

    i agree that happy, and motivated workers are what every employer wants

    but each job is only worth x dollars.....

    if you artificially inflate the value of the lower jobs, then those above those will also be inflated

    so the a/p clerk that was making $ 16 will now want 18-20 to stay in her "happy place"

    so what are you accomplishing in the long run?

    a. hurting those on fixed incomes....some inflation will happen as pay jumps for jobs
    b. encouraging employers to seek automation....why pay $ 15 for that job, when i can buy a machine for 30k.....and recoup my money in a year, maybe two
    c. helping union employees.....most contracts are tied to the MW of the state where the contract was done
    d. reducing the number of jobs available.....through attrition and automation, jobs will be eliminated

    sounds like a lose/lose/lose to me

    but what do i know....i have only been running companies for 20+ years
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #108
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    here is at least one in seattle and many more are claiming the same thing.
    Owner of pizza shop says new Seattle minimum wage law is forcing her to close | Q13 FOX News

    there are at least 2 reported book stores one in san fran the other in LA that are closing up because they can't afford the pay increases.
    I am sure more will follow suit as the pay begins to creep up however it is still early.

    already businesses are starting to raise prices, cut hours and people.

    amazing isn't it.

    of course all of this is in the news if you read something other than media matters.
    You really should do something different and look to see if you're getting the whole story. That pizza shop that closed didn't do so because of the minimum wage hike, but because of competition from the several other pizza joints nearby who are still open and doing well, thank you very much.

    Every year there's lots of restaurants that close, and lots that open. This year is no different - the local restaurateurs say they'll have to raise prices about 5% to cover the raise. Think about that - by raising their prices five lousy percent, their workers can get a freaking 30% wage hike! And as this Harvard study shows with the real-world comparison of Costco and Sam's Club, paying workers a living wage can actually save the company money!

    Sorry, but that tells me that the economic sky is NOT falling, that we're doing fine, thank you very much. But you really should lay off that Fox News Kool-Aid....
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #109
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    No, IO am saying you are making a straw man argument by arguing against an a statement I never made.

    My point is that the US economy is so strong historically that the US dollar is the fiat currency of the world.
    And that has precisely squat to do with whether a nation does or does not have a significant minimum wage, and how that minimum wage affects the economy as a whole. You made a strawman, I called you on it, and you didn't like being called on it.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #110
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Los Angeles Raises Minimum Wage to $15 an Hour

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I hate to tell you Glen, but that wasn't a strawman argument.
    Okay, then help him out by explaining how having the fiat currency affects or is directly affected by that nation having a minimum wage. If you can't make a cogent argument to support that, then his argument was indeed a strawman.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •