Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 278

Thread: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

  1. #51
    User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    26

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The "you break it ,you bought it" analogy has some validity but only if we can do things that won't make the situation worse. Going back with 100's of 1000's of troops will not fix the middle east.
    I'm not saying it will. If I were Commander-in-Chief, I'd be hesitant to give the order to go back in (with Congressional approval, of course). It's just a bitter feeling from the failure. It bothers me as we see the regional threat grow exponentially day by day.

    I'm not saying "Rev-up the A-10s, let's get to work!", but it's disheartening to see the progress we were making burst into flames. I'm not sure our withdrawal made the countries involved safer, in fact I think it's had the opposite effect. Drone strikes/air campaigns likely aren't going to be enough to put an end to their reign of terror, but I'm stumped and can't think of a proper solution.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,480

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    I'm not saying it will. If I were Commander-in-Chief, I'd be hesitant to give the order to go back in (with Congressional approval, of course). It's just a bitter feeling from the failure. It bothers me as we see the regional threat grow exponentially day by day.

    I'm not saying "Rev-up the A-10s, let's get to work!", but it's disheartening to see the progress we were making burst into flames. I'm not sure our withdrawal made the countries involved safer, in fact I think it's had the opposite effect. Drone strikes/air campaigns likely aren't going to be enough to put an end to their reign of terror, but I'm stumped and can't think of a proper solution.
    And it bothers you here in America because....? I hope it is not because you supported the war and are now worried it was a mistake. Lot's of people were fooled by the rhetoric at the time. Don't blame yourself. The Govt. that was installed after Saddam was doomed to fail from the start, if it wasn't ISIS it would have been some other Sunni group that would have taken the Sunni areas unopposed. The Iraqi army has been purged of Sunnis and the Shia's that are left will not fight for Sunni territory. You can't install a sectarian "democracy" and expect it to work. Believe it or not Sunnis and Shia's lived in the same neighborhoods under Saddam, that was not possible after he was deposed.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Dead people aren't concerned about anything.
    Not even as they are being killed?

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Seems we're loosing that battle too. As for creating a mess, Libya is also a mess, I still don't know whey we took Gaddafi out.
    Perhaps Hillary will respond to that should she ever decide to start answering questions. I can't see that happening any time soon, if ever.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I totally agree with you there. It takes brutal dictatorships to have any kind of stability over there.
    No, it doesn't. Iraq was "stable" at one time and there was no 'brutal dictatorship' involved.FLASHBACK

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    And it bothers you here in America because....? I hope it is not because you supported the war and are now worried it was a mistake. Lot's of people were fooled by the rhetoric at the time. Don't blame yourself. The Govt. that was installed after Saddam was doomed to fail from the start, if it wasn't ISIS it would have been some other Sunni group that would have taken the Sunni areas unopposed. The Iraqi army has been purged of Sunnis and the Shia's that are left will not fight for Sunni territory. You can't install a sectarian "democracy" and expect it to work. Believe it or not Sunnis and Shia's lived in the same neighborhoods under Saddam, that was not possible after he was deposed.
    It certainly was possible, and it was demonstrated. FLASHBACK

  7. #57
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No, it doesn't. Iraq was "stable" at one time and there was no 'brutal dictatorship' involved.FLASHBACK
    You don't believe anything Obama says. Why this, because it floats Bush's colossal failure, lol. How truly transparent.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    You don't believe anything Obama says. Why this, because it floats Bush's colossal failure, lol. How truly transparent.
    Do you believe Obama when he said this? FLASHBACK

    Or Biden when he said this? Biden Once Called Iraq One of Obama's 'Great Achievements' | The Weekly Standard

  9. #59
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you believe Obama when he said this? FLASHBACK

    Or Biden when he said this? Biden Once Called Iraq One of Obama's 'Great Achievements' | The Weekly Standard
    Of course not.

    In warning the president about invading Iraq unprovoked, he (Powell) said, “if you break it, you own it,” meaning that the United States would be responsible for the future of Iraq if it took down a treacherous yet stable Hussein government.

    Powell’s comments also recognize a sad fact of international diplomacy. There are lots of bad guys out there, and sometimes bad leaders are needed to keep peace and stability in countries where both peace and stability are rare.

    He (Hussein) also served as a consistent leader in a region of the world where stability is rare. Under his rule, Iraq was relatively peaceful and safe.

    Now you know when Iraq was under relative peace and stability according to Powell.

    http://m.thefiscaltimes.com/all/arti...-east-stable#1
    Last edited by Montecresto; 05-19-15 at 10:17 PM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: White House Promises to Bomb Ramadi Until City Retaken From ISIS

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Of course not.
    So you didn't believe either Obama or Biden when they said Iraq was stable and sovereign, self-reliant, and a 'great achievement? Why do you suppose they were lying?

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •