Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

  1. #61
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    Angela Merkel’s Vice Chancellor Stuns, Declares Germany’s ‘Energiewende’ To Be On ‘The Verge Of Failure’! | NoTricksZone

    I luv the part where the audience couldn't believe what they just heard (3:03 mark of video).
    Yes, I understand that, I wonder how many times Wilber said that to Orville?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #62
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    Yes there is something wrong with pushing a bromide that is economically inefficient, requires higher electricity rates, and that must be subsidized by the tax payer. There is nothing 'noble' in the delusion that good intentions justify unfair, inefficient, and poorly executed results.

    "Dude"...
    And you don't get it either. The renewable that will be replacing the non-renewable, may not even have been exploited/invented or discovered yet. Instead of figuring out how he could reconfigure his factory to produce steering wheels, the buggy whip manufacturer cursed the invention of the automobile. You guys that are backwards viewers set yourselves down in the oil pits, and the rest will look forward to the next innovation and the next for the answers to the problems that will confront future generations, one of which will most certainly be war. And certainly reducing the causes for war is another point of humanitarian nobility.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #63
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-16 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    576

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    And you don't get it either. The renewable that will be replacing the non-renewable, may not even have been exploited/invented or discovered yet. Instead of figuring out how he could reconfigure his factory to produce steering wheels, the buggy whip manufacturer cursed the invention of the automobile. You guys that are backwards viewers set yourselves down in the oil pits, and the rest will look forward to the next innovation and the next for the answers to the problems that will confront future generations, one of which will most certainly be war. And certainly reducing the causes for war is another point of humanitarian nobility.
    I certainly get that you think that inveighed platitudes and moralistic tripe can substitute for actual results. Rest assured, today's buggy whip manufacturer would be first in line for a benighted government subsidy for research and production of "solar powered buggy whips",just as every solar panel charlatan and electric powered car grifter were big-time stimulus fund leeches in the recession.

    Apparently you don't know that there is a huge difference between the market driven efforts of Thomas Edison and crony left subsidized "progress" of Solyndra.
    Last edited by maxparrish; 05-20-15 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #64
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,847

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Green energy is too expensive.

    Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF | Environment | The Guardian

    Fossil fuel companies are benefiting from global subsidies of $5.3tn (3.4tn) a year, equivalent to $10m a minute every day, according to a startling new estimate by the International Monetary Fund. The IMF calls the revelation “shocking” and says the figure is an “extremely robust” estimate of the true cost of fossil fuels. The $5.3tn subsidy estimated for 2015 is greater than the total health spending of all the world’s governments. The vast sum is largely due to polluters not paying the costs imposed on governments by the burning of coal, oil and gas. These include the harm caused to local populations by air pollution as well as to people across the globe affected by the floods, droughts and storms being driven by climate change. Nicholas Stern, an eminent climate economist at the London School of Economics, said: “This very important analysis shatters the myth that fossil fuels are cheap by showing just how huge their real costs are. There is no justification for these enormous subsidies for fossil fuels, which distort markets and damages economies, particularly in poorer countries.”

    Lord Stern said that even the IMF’s vast subsidy figure was a significant underestimate: “A more complete estimate of the costs due to climate change would show the implicit subsidies for fossil fuels are much bigger even than this report suggests.” The IMF, one of the world’s most respected financial institutions, said that ending subsidies for fossil fuels would cut global carbon emissions by 20%. That would be a giant step towards taming global warming, an issue on which the world has made little progress to date. Ending the subsidies would also slash the number of premature deaths from outdoor air pollution by 50% – about 1.6 million lives a year. Furthermore, the IMF said the resources freed by ending fossil fuel subsidies could be an economic “game-changer” for many countries, by driving economic growth and poverty reduction through greater investment in infrastructure, health and education and also by cutting taxes that restrict growth.
    Ah. Nevermind, then. Thought this might actually be serious.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  5. #65
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-16 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    576

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yes, I understand that, I wonder how many times Wilber said that to Orville?
    And I wonder how many times they got a government subsidy for their bicycle business and inventive efforts? How many times did their customers get a 'tax rebate' or 'tax credit' for buying their airplane?

    The answer is zero.
    Last edited by maxparrish; 05-20-15 at 09:48 PM.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    I certainly get that you think that inveighed platitudes and moralistic tripe can substitute for actual results. Rest assured, today's buggy whip manufacturer would be first in line for a benighted government subsidy for research and production of "solar powered buggy whips",just as every solar panel charlatan and electric powered car grifter were big-time stimulus fund leeches in the recession.

    Apparently you don't know that there is a huge difference between the market driven efforts of Thomas Edison and crony left subsidized "progress" of Solyndra.
    I never spoke to Thomas Edison. And you are too hateful and bigoted to be either objective or effective,
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #67
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Fossil fuels subsidised by $10m a minute, says IMF

    Quote Originally Posted by maxparrish View Post
    And I wonder how many times they got a government subsidy for their bicycle business and inventive efforts? How many times did their customers get a 'tax rebate' or 'tax credit' for buying their airplane?

    The answer is zero.
    That too ignores MY point. Again,
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •