Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 163

Thread: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Is a "Snatch and Grab" raid that kills the target a success?
    Why not?

  2. #152
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Monte. Notice how Schiff doesn't consider this mission creep.



    After Syria Raid, FBI Interrogates ISIS Wife and Yazidi Slave.....

    It will take at least a week if not more to dig through the computers and other technical material seized in the raid at the lightly defended ISIS compound in Al Amr, in eastern Syria, U.S. officials said Sunday. The detainees taken from the raid—the target’s wife and a Yazidi slave—are being questioned by an elite FBI-led interagency team.

    Both are being interrogated in Iraq by the FBI’s High-Value Detainee Interrogation Team, according to House Intelligence Committee ranking member Adam Schiff, D-Calif., and a senior administration official who spoke anonymously because he was not authorized to speak publicly. She may have had a possible “operational role,” he added. “If the wife played a role in organization, she’ll be subject to prosecution by us or by Iraqi authorities,” he said.

    “But it demonstrates that our intelligence is getting better and better in Syria,” he added. “We couldn’t have done this a year ago.”.....snip~

    After Syria Raid, FBI Interrogates ISIS Wife and Yazidi Slave - The Daily Beast
    From your own link.

    "Well, there certainly are American boots on the ground," Schiff responded............but the risks go up the more you conduct these kinds of operations, the more you see the potential of being pulled in. And the problem with being pulled into this messy civil war, this awful civil war in Syria is that then you take ownership.

    Schiff retains his concerns about mission creep.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    From your own link.

    "Well, there certainly are American boots on the ground," Schiff responded............but the risks go up the more you conduct these kinds of operations, the more you see the potential of being pulled in. And the problem with being pulled into this messy civil war, this awful civil war in Syria is that then you take ownership.

    Schiff retains his concerns about mission creep.
    Of course this is a great deal more than just a 'messy civil war'. This effects the entire Middle East and will spread, with millions of lives at stake, refugees fleeing, religious killings, and so on. He is right about it being messy though. Mass murders usually are.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Of course this is a great deal more than just a 'messy civil war'. This effects the entire Middle East and will spread, with millions of lives at stake, refugees fleeing, religious killings, and so on. He is right about it being messy though. Mass murders usually are.
    Well sure. But even MMC has acknowledged and linked to the fact that arms (pilfered from Gaddafi's army) were being smuggled to the Syrian rebels, out of Benghazi, years ago to Syrian rebels that were infested with al Nusra, AQ and MB. Had the US and certain Arab states not interfered in Syria early on, president Assad would have crushed the rebellion in its infancy and we wouldn't be talking about it today. But, though I wouldn't expect you to be aware of it, Syrian regime change has been a long term USFP ambition. China and Russia both pointed out several years ago that US interference in Syria would cause this crisis to spill out into the region. They remain right about that. And in fact, it was Western abuse of UN1973 in Libya that prompted Russia and China to tell the US NO, on its request for a UNSCR for the use of force in Syria. Consequences dude.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    From your own link.

    "Well, there certainly are American boots on the ground," Schiff responded............but the risks go up the more you conduct these kinds of operations, the more you see the potential of being pulled in. And the problem with being pulled into this messy civil war, this awful civil war in Syria is that then you take ownership.

    Schiff retains his concerns about mission creep.


    Well, he would be that way with any other country so that's not saying much. All one need do is bring up Yemen or Libya to him. Same deal with Boots on the ground. His concern if we go in and own it. Which clearly cant happen here with Assad controlling the Rest of Syria.

    Clearly hit and run isn't it. Despite having the concern.

  6. #156
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,194

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Someone getting captured strikes me as a fairly crazy scenario. Killed or wounded, maybe. But, er, I would not want to be the ISIL commander who suddenly discovered I was holding on to one of these guys. That strikes me as sort of like getting handed a grenade with the pin pulled. It's going to kill you, it's just a matter of when.
    Agreed: I find it implausible, but not impossible, for a capture to occur. The US wouldn't even bother with a prison exchange if it were to happen, since ISIS proved itself to be completely untrustworthy in that regard when holding the Jordanian pilot.

    On a side note, I do wonder what the experience was like for ISIS. They've fought Peshmerga, Iraqi special forces, and the Syrian Republican Guard, but American SOF is an entirely different ballgame.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #157
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,194

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well sure. But even MMC has acknowledged and linked to the fact that arms (pilfered from Gaddafi's army) were being smuggled to the Syrian rebels, out of Benghazi, years ago to Syrian rebels that were infested with al Nusra, AQ and MB. Had the US and certain Arab states not interfered in Syria early on, president Assad would have crushed the rebellion in its infancy and we wouldn't be talking about it today. But, though I wouldn't expect you to be aware of it, Syrian regime change has been a long term USFP ambition. China and Russia both pointed out several years ago that US interference in Syria would cause this crisis to spill out into the region. They remain right about that. And in fact, it was Western abuse of UN1973 in Libya that prompted Russia and China to tell the US NO, on its request for a UNSCR for the use of force in Syria. Consequences dude.
    You keep saying that outside interference is what kept the rebellion afloat. It's more logical to attribute that to massive defections from the SAA in the beginning of the civil war and to the regime's ongoing inability to keep their equipment out of rebel hands - IIRC, most rebel tech was taken from the SAA, who often just leave tanks unprotected and unmanned in fields and rarely destroy equipment when retreating.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  8. #158
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,236

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    You keep saying that outside interference is what kept the rebellion afloat. It's more logical to attribute that to massive defections from the SAA in the beginning of the civil war and to the regime's ongoing inability to keep their equipment out of rebel hands - IIRC, most rebel tech was taken from the SAA, who often just leave tanks unprotected and unmanned in fields and rarely destroy equipment when retreating.
    It pretty much devolved into an Alawite + Other Shia + Lebanese Hezbollah v Lots Of Other Opposition Groups Which Eventually became Absorbed Into A Smaller Number of Opposition Groups.

    On a side note, I do wonder what the experience was like for ISIS. They've fought Peshmerga, Iraqi special forces, and the Syrian Republican Guard, but American SOF is an entirely different ballgame.
    I imagine they probably didn't spend a lot of time reflecting on it
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  9. #159
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Well, he would be that way with any other country so that's not saying much. All one need do is bring up Yemen or Libya to him. Same deal with Boots on the ground. His concern if we go in and own it. Which clearly cant happen here with Assad controlling the Rest of Syria.

    Clearly hit and run isn't it. Despite having the concern.
    Well, time will certainly tell won't it.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #160
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. commandos enter Syria, kill Islamic State commander in charge of oil fields

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    You keep saying that outside interference is what kept the rebellion afloat. It's more logical to attribute that to massive defections from the SAA in the beginning of the civil war and to the regime's ongoing inability to keep their equipment out of rebel hands - IIRC, most rebel tech was taken from the SAA, who often just leave tanks unprotected and unmanned in fields and rarely destroy equipment when retreating.
    I think what I have said and all of that would be contributing.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •