Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 195

Thread: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

  1. #151
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Until we have a viable replacement, ready to be distributed and used like modern fuel products,
    Oil is the only thing keeping about 80 % of the Humans alive on this planet.
    So while calamity's statement might be discouraging to you, that does not make it factually incorrect.
    We simply cannot feed everyone without oil products!
    Green energy is a viable replacement. We have the technology, we have the money, it is just ideological barriers and the effect of lobbying. We have had an alternative for a long time. It won't be funded even though it is essentially free if you just print the money to build it.
    "Don't care. I don't care about polar bears, and I don't care about people who think our policies should be dictated by the effects on polar bears. Polar bears are basically Ice Monsters. Like that thing in the second Star Wars movie. **** em. And anything with more than four legs." -Deuce

  2. #152
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    60,560

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Green energy is a viable replacement. We have the technology, we have the money, it is just ideological barriers and the effect of lobbying. We have had an alternative for a long time. It won't be funded even though it is essentially free if you just print the money to build it.
    You really do not know much about energy. Do you?



    Notice all the green energy sources yield least amount of BTU per dollar.

  3. #153
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    You should research The Space Based Solar Network. It's there.
    "Don't care. I don't care about polar bears, and I don't care about people who think our policies should be dictated by the effects on polar bears. Polar bears are basically Ice Monsters. Like that thing in the second Star Wars movie. **** em. And anything with more than four legs." -Deuce

  4. #154
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    You really do not know much about energy. Do you?



    Notice all the green energy sources yield least amount of BTU per dollar.
    You should research The Space Based Solar Network. It's there.
    "Don't care. I don't care about polar bears, and I don't care about people who think our policies should be dictated by the effects on polar bears. Polar bears are basically Ice Monsters. Like that thing in the second Star Wars movie. **** em. And anything with more than four legs." -Deuce

  5. #155
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,558

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Green energy is a viable replacement. We have the technology, we have the money, it is just ideological barriers and the effect of lobbying. We have had an alternative for a long time. It won't be funded even though it is essentially free if you just print the money to build it.
    Please enplane which of the alternatives is viable for use as diesel today.
    Keep in mind it needs to be ready to replace diesel, to be distributed and sold at tens of thousands of locations.
    Human transport is not the real issue, but growing and distributing food.
    There are only one viable replacement to do that, and they are just starting trail runs.
    Audi has successfully made diesel fuel from carbon dioxide and water - ScienceAlert
    Green energy can only be viable, if it is available where, and in the needed quantity, when it is needed.
    To do that it needs storage and accumulation technology.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    oil is more important than the ocean no one lives on or near.
    That's fantastic!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #157
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Please enplane which of the alternatives is viable for use as diesel today.
    Keep in mind it needs to be ready to replace diesel, to be distributed and sold at tens of thousands of locations.
    Human transport is not the real issue, but growing and distributing food.
    There are only one viable replacement to do that, and they are just starting trail runs.
    Audi has successfully made diesel fuel from carbon dioxide and water - ScienceAlert
    Green energy can only be viable, if it is available where, and in the needed quantity, when it is needed.
    To do that it needs storage and accumulation technology.
    Look, nothing is explosive or as cheap as oil. I'm not going to deny that. But we still have the capacity to replace what we have with a green grid, it is just it isn't done because of ideological barriers and lobbying. How can you say we can't do green energy if we haven't tried a complete revamp of our energy sector?

    As I said in an earlier post, there is The Space Based Solar Network, or SBSN. I really don't want to type everything out because I have before. Basically this method only uses the sun, and can power the world three times over while cutting your electricity bill in half. We have the money to do it, trust me. 10 billion dollars over 10 years. 100 billion. If that is too low for you to believe me, because a lot of people don't when I say that, then multiply it by 10. 100 billion dollars for 10 years or 1 trillion dollars. 100 billion can easily be printed.

    The only reason why we don't have green energy is because of the lobby and the jobs lost. Otherwise we could turn completely green. Homes could power themselves, taking the load off of the SBSN. We would probably do that through tax incentives, and when the technology gets cheaper for the typical family. And well, they would get paid instead of paying for electricity. There are already ideas for power storage for the home family. Fuel cells were the ones I read about, I bet there are other ideas. There are storage technologies designed for power stations. We have the design, there is enough power from the sun, we have the technology, but we don't do it because of ideological barriers and lobbying.

    By the way, all methods could be used in accordance with the SBSN. Solar, wind, tidal, geothermal, I mean you name it. But that would probably all be more expensive than just sending three satellites in space to collect solar energy and beam it down to Earth.
    Last edited by sookster; 05-17-15 at 01:31 PM.
    "Don't care. I don't care about polar bears, and I don't care about people who think our policies should be dictated by the effects on polar bears. Polar bears are basically Ice Monsters. Like that thing in the second Star Wars movie. **** em. And anything with more than four legs." -Deuce

  8. #158
    Professor
    sookster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In my own world.
    Last Seen
    06-27-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,838

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    "Don't care. I don't care about polar bears, and I don't care about people who think our policies should be dictated by the effects on polar bears. Polar bears are basically Ice Monsters. Like that thing in the second Star Wars movie. **** em. And anything with more than four legs." -Deuce

  9. #159
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,558

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by sookster View Post
    Look, nothing is explosive or as cheap as oil. I'm not going to deny that. But we still have the capacity to replace what we have with a green grid, it is just it isn't done because of ideological barriers and lobbying. How can you say we can't do green energy if we haven't tried a complete revamp of our energy sector?

    As I said in an earlier post, there is The Space Based Solar Network, or SBSN. I really don't want to type everything out because I have before. Basically this method only uses the sun, and can power the world three times over while cutting your electricity bill in half. We have the money to do it, trust me. 10 billion dollars over 10 years. 100 billion. If that is too low for you to believe me, because a lot of people don't when I say that, then multiply it by 10. 100 billion dollars for 10 years or 1 trillion dollars. 100 billion can easily be printed.

    The only reason why we don't have green energy is because of the lobby and the jobs lost. Otherwise we could turn completely green. Homes could power themselves, taking the load off of the SBSN. We would probably do that through tax incentives, and when the technology gets cheaper for the typical family. And well, they would get paid instead of paying for electricity. There are already ideas for power storage for the home family. Fuel cells were the ones I read about, I bet there are other ideas. There are storage technologies designed for power stations. We have the design, there is enough power from the sun, we have the technology, but we don't do it because of ideological barriers and lobbying.

    By the way, all methods could be used in accordance with the SBSN. Solar, wind, tidal, geothermal, I mean you name it. But that would probably all be more expensive than just sending three satellites in space to collect solar energy and beam it down to Earth.
    What you are missing is that it is not ideological barriers blocking people from using alternative energies, it is a financial barrier.
    People will use whatever they see as in their own best interest, currently they have trouble seeing how alternatives benefit their financial interest.
    Home photovoltaic solar is a much better deal than it used to be, but still requires more vision than the average consumer possesses.
    I see the solution as excess solar and wind energy stored as man made hydrocarbon fuels, distributed through existing channels.
    Some type of energy credit could be worked out, that would encourage people to install extra capacity of solar.
    When enough people have solar, we will need the variable load of the refineries making the fuel to take the surplus.

  10. #160
    User
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    HOLY ****!!!! DANGER in real life? Ya know, you shouldn't take showers, falling in the shower is a leading cause of injury in home.
    Brilliant. This means the U.S. must ban showers. (wink, nudge) The added benefit will be the conservation of water, natural gas, and electricity.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •