Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 195

Thread: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

  1. #101
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,011

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well that's the whole point, easy to kick the can down the road because we personally won't be effected, but if those intentions aren't begun, their certainly never finished.
    Who could ever have concieved of something like nuclear power generation a hundred years ago ? Mans ingenuity is boundless but current renewables technology is a dead end and a waste of further investment capital in my view

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    You don't even have to be intellectual. A trade school can give you a rather solid skill that can get you to middle class so long as you're willing to get your hands a little dirty.
    exactly. there are plenty of opportunities in skilled trade area's where one can easily get into the middle class. however that requires work and a bit of effort instead of being handed to you on a silver platter and well people want the silver platter.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    We could shrink our military to a fourth of its size and still have an incredibly powerful military. Right wing paranoia and the greed of billionaires is the only reason our military is so bloated.
    you evidently don't remember history to well. Clinton gutted the military as well and it took way more money to get it back into fighting shape than if he had just left it alone.

    Uh, common sense? If we spent less ridiculous amounts of tax money where we didn't need to we wouldn't need as much to sustain our nation.
    I didn't ask for your opinion I asked for proof and evidence they are totally separate things.


    A bag boy should make a living wage because he lives and works in the United States where there is more than enough wealth and resources to go around.
    I asked you to 1 define a living wage with a hard number you have yet to do that.
    2. you have to be able to justify paying a bag boy that much money.

    him living and working is not enough of a justification.


    Situations like this are why I think small businesses should pay no taxes and giant corporations should pay more. The amount of money the small businesses would save on taxes would be enough to offset what they lose from increased wages. It would also make them more competitive against the multinational corporations that can go to Asia and get labor for pennies a day.
    again proof or evidence. the fact is that there are some businesses that cannot support a living wage whatever that is since you have defined what it is.


    Most poor people work their asses off. That's something people like you will never understand or admit. Some people aren't smart enough or other circumstances prevent them from getting the education that would pull them out of poverty. It's true that a lot of poor people are poor because of decisions they made, but that's not true for all of them, and even if it was I don't think a person should have to live in poverty for the rest of their life because of a bad choice they made.
    appeal to emotion and a strawman.

    I never said they didn't work. however the jobs they work don't demand the pay that you think they should get which you have yet to define.
    you keep harping living wage but no one that harps it will put a number on it.

    there is a job out there for just about everyone to do. some are dirty nasty jobs, but the pay is good. others are more white color jobs but you need an education.
    however you can't demand pay for a job that can't justify the cost of that pay. it simply doesn't work that way.

    look up a restaurant called colors. it was a co-op business by the same group of people that are pushing 15 bucks an hour for fast food workers.
    the restaurant failed because the pay was to high for the positions. you can't justify the dishwasher making 15 bucks an hour.
    in fact I think it started off higher at like 20 dollars an hour.

    Of restaurants, radicals & rats | New York Post

    it is just one of many types of same things that are the reason that smart business men don't do what these people want.

    when you continue to make the same choices over and over again then yes you will live in poverty.
    you should watch that show drugs inc sometime.

    people that were investment banks, lawyers, doctors, high end professionals layed low by drugs alone.
    they lost their jobs, families and everything just to get another hit of whatever it is they are on.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Who could ever have concieved of something like nuclear power generation a hundred years ago ? Mans ingenuity is boundless but current renewables technology is a dead end and a waste of further investment capital in my view
    on a micro scale renewable energy works pretty well depending on the area.
    as far as macro scale goes? no it is an abject failure.

  5. #105
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,594

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    And a blog opinion, is a blog opinion.
    not when there is truth in the blog which you didn't even read because it proves once again the liberal lies.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    I didn't realize disadvantaged and possibly unintelligent people were trash.
    Stick around the right long enough.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #107
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Who could ever have concieved of something like nuclear power generation a hundred years ago ? Mans ingenuity is boundless but current renewables technology is a dead end and a waste of further investment capital in my view
    Stay out of the business then, and let those more suited for the task take care of it. I've made good money investing in renewables, I use them myself to power two homes and there is certainly a future in it. Just concerning solar power, having been in it for 25 years now, I've watched it take huge strides, and it will continue to grow and improve.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #108
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    not when there is truth in the blog which you didn't even read because it proves once again the liberal lies.
    You didn't even know what renewables were when I started using them young man.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #109
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    52,180

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Yeah it's absolute bull****.

    Let me give one example.

    My brother is a fuucking math genius. He got into the navy nuclear program.

    1 he hated it

    2 he was thinking of getting out of it

    3 he hit his wife and is now very likely to drop out

    4 if he gets the boot, he will most likely become poor since he gave up his chance at the most prestigious nuclear program in the entire ****ing world and doesn't have a college degree

    What's funny is that he had the nerve to text my mother to see if she could take him in.

    Wastrels are poor because they choose to be.

    Smart people can go to college. Even intellectually mediocre people can go to a trade school for plumbing or carpeting or whatever to get a basic skill. Outside of few circumstances (mental retardation?), poverty is a CHOICE.
    It's usually the result of the accumulation of poor decisions: not getting a trade, not finishing school, drinking, doing drugs, getting arrested, habitually pissing off bosses and thus having no references....the list is endless.

  10. #110
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,011

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Stay out of the business then, and let those more suited for the task take care of it.
    Providing they use their own money and not the taxpayers then I'm fine with that

    I've made good money investing in renewables, I use them myself to power two homes and there is certainly a future in it.
    Take away its subsidies and its a dead duck

    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...05-electricity

    Just concerning solar power, having been in it for 25 years now, I've watched it take huge strides, and it will continue to grow and improve.
    So let it exist in the energy free market and we'll see how long it lasts ?

    ED-AP639_1energ_NS_20120817170303.jpg

    Guess which countries have the highest investment in renewables here ?

    electriccost1.jpg
    Last edited by flogger; 05-14-15 at 03:29 PM.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •