Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 195

Thread: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yet a strong military is key to a strong nation. We learned that early on in our history. that in order to be a world power you have to have a world class military.
    We could shrink our military to a fourth of its size and still have an incredibly powerful military. Right wing paranoia and the greed of billionaires is the only reason our military is so bloated.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    proof or evidence.
    Uh, common sense? If we spent less ridiculous amounts of tax money where we didn't need to we wouldn't need as much to sustain our nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Most corporations do pay a living wage. now if you are referring to being a burger flipper or a cashier or something like that then well your pay is greatly reduced.
    why? the skill to do that job is well not really all that difficult. in fact it is so easy that they are replacing cashiers will automatic checkouts.
    also define a living wage. lets put a hard number to it not some blathering nonsense that I get all the time.

    I have yet to see anyone justify why a bag boy should make 15 dollars an hour. maybe you can justify it but most businesses can't.
    A bag boy should make a living wage because he lives and works in the United States where there is more than enough wealth and resources to go around.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    in fact a huge liberal comic book owner in CA that was all for minimum wage hikes now all of a sudden doesn't know how he is going to keep his business open.

    with the number of employee's he has he needs an additional 80k dollars a year in income to pay them. he can't increase the price of his good because their price
    is printed on the books themselves. it appears that he will be closing his comic book shop since he can't afford the pay increase.

    San Francisco $15 Minimum Wage Hike Forces Comic Book Shop to Come Up with Extra $80,000 a Year | Illinois Mirror

    there is another book store that has already closed.
    Situations like this are why I think small businesses should pay no taxes and giant corporations should pay more. The amount of money the small businesses would save on taxes would be enough to offset what they lose from increased wages. It would also make them more competitive against the multinational corporations that can go to Asia and get labor for pennies a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    If people with less want more than they have to work for it to get there. it takes skill knowledge and a education.
    you shouldn't be calling anyone's view ignorant given the comments you just made.
    Most poor people work their asses off. That's something people like you will never understand or admit. Some people aren't smart enough or other circumstances prevent them from getting the education that would pull them out of poverty. It's true that a lot of poor people are poor because of decisions they made, but that's not true for all of them, and even if it was I don't think a person should have to live in poverty for the rest of their life because of a bad choice they made.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    This is shroud waving nonsense. Back in 1970 they said we'd run out by 1990 yet today known fossil fuel reserves are greater than ever and increasing by the year



    Well that rules out current renewables then



    And they certainly do given the taxpayer subsidy they recieve is usually far greater than the value of the energy they produce



    But only when a more economically viable alternative is invented. That is still a long way off
    I thought it was stupid when people were predicting that oil would run out at such and such time. And people shouldn't be doing it now, even with the technological advancements that have been made in exploration, it can't be determined with certainty now. What is certain, is that there's a bottom of the barrel somewhere. And waiting to arrive there to do something about it is insanity, and if that's what happens in the end, those people's alive at the time are going to be in really unthinkable fashion. In the meantime, I'll continue my push for renewables, which includes my present use of them.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #93
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    What renewable isn't damaging to the environment or ecosystem and doesn't suck on power conversion rates? How are you going to improve performance and portability of each?

    Are you actually suggesting simultaneously throwing billions and billions into research of renewables while winding down existing fossil fuel use immediately? Surely you aren't that foolish.
    Of course fossil fuel use can't be eliminated immediately. But your not willing to invest in the R&D to do it incrementally. And why would you, by the time this becomes a crisis for humanity, there likely won't be a soul alive on earth that even knows who you once were.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #94
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    a lie repeated often enough is still a lie.
    And a blog opinion, is a blog opinion.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #95
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,011

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I thought it was stupid when people were predicting that oil would run out at such and such time. And people shouldn't be doing it now, even with the technological advancements that have been made in exploration, it can't be determined with certainty now. What is certain, is that there's a bottom of the barrel somewhere. And waiting to arrive there to do something about it is insanity, and if that's what happens in the end, those people's alive at the time are going to be in really unthinkable fashion. In the meantime, I'll continue my push for renewables, which includes my present use of them.
    If and when we ever have to worry about an end to fossil fuels it will be a long way off and it will decline gradually. This may take centuries to happen and who knows what kind of power generation we may have invented by that time. Todays renewables are the totally impracticable solution to a non existent problem frankly

  6. #96
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    There have been wind turbines for over 40 years yet not one has ever produced a greater value in energy than the value of the subsidy it recieves. Given this is supposedly the most cost effective renewable to date I think its time to cut our losses



    In my view instead of squandering even more resources on this nonsense we should use them to make our fossil fuel plants much cleaner and more efficient


    To the bolded, that would be a great move in the interim as well. In America, we have an EPA that's here to ensure that such legislation is monitored for compliance. But because sometimes the EPA does stupid things sometimes (and they do), the right in America wants to eliminate the agency entirely. And as A pointed out to you, it's hard to get such through our congress.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #97
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    If and when we ever have to worry about an end to fossil fuels it will be a long way off and it will decline gradually. This may take centuries to happen and who knows what kind of power generation we may have invented by that time. Todays renewables are the totally impracticable solution to a non existent problem frankly
    Well that's the whole point, easy to kick the can down the road because we personally won't be effected, but if those intentions aren't begun, their certainly never finished.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #98
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Libertarian socialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    My view of libertarianism is not phony just because it is not the same as your view of libertarianism. The most you could reasonably claim is that I am ignorant. Oh, and focusing on nitpicking my lean says volumes about the strength of your own position.
    That's a little hypocritical.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    That's a little hypocritical.
    I only responded in kind. You're the one that dragged leans into it and wrongly accused me of not being a libertarian.

  10. #100
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: Letting Shell drill in Arctic could lead to catastrophic oil spill, experts warn

    Quote Originally Posted by Anomalism View Post
    Most poor people work their asses off. That's something people like you will never understand or admit. Some people aren't smart enough or other circumstances prevent them from getting the education that would pull them out of poverty. It's true that a lot of poor people are poor because of decisions they made, but that's not true for all of them, and even if it was I don't think a person should have to live in poverty for the rest of their life because of a bad choice they made.
    Working hard is meaningless. Working smart is where the money is at. And like I said, trade school is around the corner and not really expensive.

    Bad choices reap bad results. What you think doesn't mean **** in regards to that.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •