Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

  1. #51
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,097

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not just a good idea, but the supreme law of the land.

    US CONSTITUTION, ARTICLE I, SECTION 9, CLAUSE 8

    It's time we applied it to anyone getting "emoluments" from foreign governments.




    and then there are the US pols who get money from foreign governments for their campaigns....
    no its not the law of the land


    ARTICLE I, SECTION 9, CLAUSE 8

    No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,434

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no its not the law of the land


    ARTICLE I, SECTION 9, CLAUSE 8

    No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
    Not sure I understand that. Isn't the Constitution the supreme law of the land?

    or supposed to be at least?
    Its an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated. Donald Trump



  3. #53
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,097

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not sure I understand that. Isn't the Constitution the supreme law of the land?

    or supposed to be at least?
    yes the constitution is supreme law....and ARTICLE I, SECTION 9, CLAUSE 8 is.

    however my first posting with a clause is not part of the constitution...that is why i said...good idea?

  4. #54
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,434

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    yes the constitution is supreme law....and ARTICLE I, SECTION 9, CLAUSE 8 is.

    however my first posting with a clause is not part of the constitution...that is why i said...good idea?
    Oh, I see. You added one little phrase that's not in the Constitution.

    Sounds like a good idea to me, though.

    It doesn't specify a consequence, does it? I'd say, at the very least, anyone who violates that section of the Constitution should lose his/her elected office.
    Its an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated. Donald Trump



  5. #55
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,097

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, I see. You added one little phrase that's not in the Constitution.

    Sounds like a good idea to me, though.

    It doesn't specify a consequence, does it? I'd say, at the very least, anyone who violates that section of the Constitution should lose his/her elected office.
    actually i didn't add it ,its an actual clause which is an amedment to the constitution which has been ratified by many states, but has not been according to law fully ratified, ..although it has been printed in federal- state -and private books from 1819 to 1876 as the 13th amendment to the constitution

  6. #56
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    actually i didn't add it ,its an actual clause which is an amedment to the constitution which has been ratified by many states, but has not been according to law fully ratified, ..although it has been printed in federal- state -and private books from 1819 to 1876 as the 13th amendment to the constitution
    Wow, that's interesting.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,434

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    actually i didn't add it ,its an actual clause which is an amedment to the constitution which has been ratified by many states, but has not been according to law fully ratified, ..although it has been printed in federal- state -and private books from 1819 to 1876 as the 13th amendment to the constitution
    It's time we got it ratified.

    If only Congress weren't so busy going on junkets paid for by foreign governments, accepting gifts from foreign nations, and getting campaign contributions from foreign entities, maybe they'd have time to pass it.
    Its an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated. Donald Trump



  8. #58
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,097

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It's time we got it ratified.

    If only Congress weren't so busy going on junkets paid for by foreign governments, accepting gifts from foreign nations, and getting campaign contributions from foreign entities, maybe they'd have time to pass it.
    did you know that ted kennedy violated the title of nobility clause of the constitution?

    the clause i posted in my first post .... is referred to as the "missing 13th amendment"

  9. #59
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,434

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    did you know that ted kennedy violated the title of nobility clause of the constitution?

    the clause i posted in my first post .... is referred to as the "missing 13th amendment"
    I didn't know that. Did he become known as "Sir Teddy"?
    Its an unbelievably complex subject. Nobody knew health care could be so complicated. Donald Trump



  10. #60
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,097

    Re: 10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I didn't know that. Did he become known as "Sir Teddy"?
    he took a knighthood, even though he got no approval from congress.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •