Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

  1. #1
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    Tony Robinson case: No charges for officer - CNN.com
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN Article
    Officer Matt Kenny of the Madison Police Department will not face charges in the March shooting death of biracial teen Tony Robinson, Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne said Tuesday.
    "I conclude that this tragic and unfortunate death was the result of a lawful use of deadly police force and that no charges should be brought against Officer Kenny in the death of Tony Robinson Jr.," he said.

    "My decision will not bring Tony Robinson Jr. back," Ozanne told reporters. "My decision will not end the racial disparities that exist in the justice system, in our justice system. My decision is not based on emotion. Rather, this decision is based on the facts as they have been investigated and reported to me."

    I think the Prosecutor got the decision correct based upon the information he gave during his press announcement speech.

    What are your thoughts????

  2. #2
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    This one was pretty clear from day 1. If an officer is getting assaulted the shooting is going to be justified just about every time.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,079

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    First, I've never seen a guy sweat that much. Looked like he expected to be hit by a sniper bullet at the podium.

    Second, at first I was bored by the "I'm the product of a bi-racial family, raised by a single black woman..." blah blah blah, but pretty soon it became evident why he did so. As he laid out the enormous volume of evidence... eye witnesses, video, audio, dash cam... all backing the fact that the victim was out of his mind on drugs, yelling at invisible people, and attacking others, it was obvious that there was no prosecutable case there.

    I think laying out the evidence the way he did was a good thing, in this case, because the crowd that was gathered to hear the announcement didn't even make a peep after having everything laid out, step by step, that happened that day.

  4. #4
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    I don't love the idea of a cop immediately going to deadly force after taking a single sucker punch, because far too frequently deadly force is the first line of defense for cops in ANY use of force situation.

    I recognize that Robinson was out of control, breaking the law, and needed to be arrested.

    But I'm not convinced he needed to be killed.

    All of that said, I can further recognize that the law in respect to use of force has become so pussified in the interest of "officer safety" that simply giving a cop a dirty look is legal grounds for his use of deadly force.

    While I'd like to see those laws change, cops held to a higher standard, and coward cops drummed of our police forces, the law is what it is at the moment and if a cop simply being afeared is sufficient justification for shooting someone, and this guy is to be taken at his word that he was scared, I guess it's a clean shoot.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  5. #5
    Professor WSUwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    03-21-16 @ 03:34 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,864

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I don't love the idea of a cop immediately going to deadly force after taking a single sucker punch, because far too frequently deadly force is the first line of defense for cops in ANY use of force situation.

    I recognize that Robinson was out of control, breaking the law, and needed to be arrested.

    But I'm not convinced he needed to be killed.

    All of that said, I can further recognize that the law in respect to use of force has become so pussified in the interest of "officer safety" that simply giving a cop a dirty look is legal grounds for his use of deadly force.

    While I'd like to see those laws change, cops held to a higher standard, and coward cops drummed of our police forces, the law is what it is at the moment and if a cop simply being afeared is sufficient justification for shooting someone, and this guy is to be taken at his word that he was scared, I guess it's a clean shoot.
    Good afternoon, Ms. Mosby.

  6. #6
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,050

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Tony Robinson case: No charges for officer - CNN.com



    I think the Prosecutor got the decision correct based upon the information he gave during his press announcement speech.

    What are your thoughts????
    I watched the press conference live and the Prosecutor was quite comprehensive and reasoned in the way he laid out the case and his decision. It was also wise of him to speak to the reactions in other cities in an attempt to avoid such a reaction in his city. It was handled very professionally.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    50,830

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    I was initially confused as to how an elderly British actor managed to get himself shot by a police officer in Madison.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  8. #8
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,633

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I don't love the idea of a cop immediately going to deadly force after taking a single sucker punch, because far too frequently deadly force is the first line of defense for cops in ANY use of force situation.

    I recognize that Robinson was out of control, breaking the law, and needed to be arrested.

    But I'm not convinced he needed to be killed.

    All of that said, I can further recognize that the law in respect to use of force has become so pussified in the interest of "officer safety" that simply giving a cop a dirty look is legal grounds for his use of deadly force.

    While I'd like to see those laws change, cops held to a higher standard, and coward cops drummed of our police forces, the law is what it is at the moment and if a cop simply being afeared is sufficient justification for shooting someone, and this guy is to be taken at his word that he was scared, I guess it's a clean shoot.
    This part is really why he was justified in using lethal force and is pretty much the same for citizens as well. If you are disabled or vulnerable...your assailant has access to your firearm. You dont know if he'll use it. Why would you 'choose to believe that' if they had attacked you already? And for the police, then the public is at risk as well if they get the gun.

    "Kenny reported that Robinson hit him and knocked him into the wall inside the apartment, an account that the prosecutor said was supported by damage to drywall.

    After that, Kenny said he was afraid Robinson would hit him again or take his gun, and opened fire as the 19-year-old continued to come at him."
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Jerkoffness is protected by The Constitution. That's what makes America great.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #9
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    This part is really why he was justified in using lethal force and is pretty much the same for citizens as well. If you are disabled or vulnerable...your assailant has access to your firearm. You dont know if he'll use it. Why would you 'choose to believe that' if they had attacked you already? And for the police, then the public is at risk as well if they get the gun.
    By all appearances Kenny wasn't disabled.

    He got his bell rung.

    He still had the presence of mind to draw his weapon, fire several rounds hitting his target (in a dynamic engagement in an enclosed space) three times including once in the head (actually pretty incredible shooting for an "average" cop - I don't know if Kenny was "average" or "highly trained" in pistol marksmanship or what).

    He then called in the shoot and rendered first aid.

    I've been punched in the head and continued to fight and I've been punched in the head and disabled.

    If Kenny was able to do all those things that he did - he wasn't "disabled" in any way.

    He was scared.

    He could have gone hands on with the kid, he could have gone to a baton or other less than lethal.

    But he was frightened so he killed a kid that probably didn't need to be killed.

    And that's *cool* because the law says that frightened cops (in their own determination - there is no standard for what frightened really is and we take their word for it every time that "I feared for my life" is the Bible truth) can shoot people.

    Okay, fair enough, but if simply being punched in the head is enough to frighten you to the point that your next immediate act is to draw a gun and kill someone then you really don't have any business being in a position where there's a good possibility that you'll run in to such a situation again.

    I don't think Kenny should be prosecuted, but I don't think he should be a cop either.

    I think he's a coward with an itchy trigger finger and the public would be better served by having someone with a little more personal courage enforcing its laws.

    By comparison, I've read that Kenny had previously been involved in another use of lethal force incident where he shot (killed?) a kid who pointed a bee-bee gun at him.

    I have NO problem with that.

    I don't know all the details of that incident, but if someone points ANYTHING that looks like a weapon at a cop I'm totally cool with the cop shooting.

    Again, legally Kenny did nothing wrong.

    It is my opinion that we should hold cops to a higher standard than they're currently held, but by the current standard Kenny is good to go.

    I don't think Kenny is a racist, or did what he did out of racial motivations in any way.

    I could be wrong about that.

    It could very well be that Kenny was particularly frightened because Madison was black, and if he'd been a white kid Kenny would have considered him less a threat.

    But I see no evidence to support that so I'm not accusing him or bigotry.

    So while I don't think Kenny is cut out for law enforcement work I don't think he's a criminal or necessarily a bad guy.

    You're free to feel however you feel about the guy.

    Can him a "hero" or a "sheepdog" or whatever you want.

    I think you'd be wrong, but I respect your right to be wrong.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  10. #10
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,352

    Re: Prosecutor: No charges for officer in Tony Robinson case

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    By all appearances Kenny wasn't disabled.

    He got his bell rung.

    He still had the presence of mind to draw his weapon, fire several rounds hitting his target (in a dynamic engagement in an enclosed space) three times including once in the head (actually pretty incredible shooting for an "average" cop - I don't know if Kenny was "average" or "highly trained" in pistol marksmanship or what).

    He then called in the shoot and rendered first aid.

    I've been punched in the head and continued to fight and I've been punched in the head and disabled.

    If Kenny was able to do all those things that he did - he wasn't "disabled" in any way.

    He was scared.

    He could have gone hands on with the kid, he could have gone to a baton or other less than lethal.

    But he was frightened so he killed a kid that probably didn't need to be killed.

    And that's *cool* because the law says that frightened cops (in their own determination - there is no standard for what frightened really is and we take their word for it every time that "I feared for my life" is the Bible truth) can shoot people.

    Okay, fair enough, but if simply being punched in the head is enough to frighten you to the point that your next immediate act is to draw a gun and kill someone then you really don't have any business being in a position where there's a good possibility that you'll run in to such a situation again.

    I don't think Kenny should be prosecuted, but I don't think he should be a cop either.

    I think he's a coward with an itchy trigger finger and the public would be better served by having someone with a little more personal courage enforcing its laws.

    By comparison, I've read that Kenny had previously been involved in another use of lethal force incident where he shot (killed?) a kid who pointed a bee-bee gun at him.

    I have NO problem with that.

    I don't know all the details of that incident, but if someone points ANYTHING that looks like a weapon at a cop I'm totally cool with the cop shooting.

    Again, legally Kenny did nothing wrong.

    It is my opinion that we should hold cops to a higher standard than they're currently held, but by the current standard Kenny is good to go.

    I don't think Kenny is a racist, or did what he did out of racial motivations in any way.

    I could be wrong about that.

    It could very well be that Kenny was particularly frightened because Madison was black, and if he'd been a white kid Kenny would have considered him less a threat.

    But I see no evidence to support that so I'm not accusing him or bigotry.

    So while I don't think Kenny is cut out for law enforcement work I don't think he's a criminal or necessarily a bad guy.

    You're free to feel however you feel about the guy.

    Can him a "hero" or a "sheepdog" or whatever you want.

    I think you'd be wrong, but I respect your right to be wrong.
    No one cares if you got punched in the head (although it definitely shows in your posts).

    You can't honestly assault a cop and continue to try assaulting him without expecting to get shot. The police officer was in his right mind to shoot the guy considering the fact that he wasn't likely to let up on the attack and at some point he can do something. A 19 year old isn't physically a kid. A 19 year old is a grown man who can put a hurting on you and can easily take the gun and start pulling the trigger.

    It was justified.

    YOU are wrong. Why? Well simple, there will be no case.

    You're incessant crying about some pussification of the use of deadly force is nothing but crying because neither the general populace nor the law agrees with you.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •