Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 233

Thread: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

  1. #61
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    You should avail your self of how the DP is misused. If you are against abortion, you she be against the DP as well.

    New evidence suggests Texas executed innocent Cameron Todd Willingham | Daily Mail Online
    Just as I thought, that was all bias stream of consciousness bull**** that has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic YOU posted.

    And you're wrong, abortion and the death penalty aren't tied. Legally or morally.

  2. #62
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,251

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Just as I thought, that was all bias stream of consciousness bull**** that has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic YOU posted.

    And you're wrong, abortion and the death penalty aren't tied. Legally or morally.
    In your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  3. #63
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Interesting. So in all the rulings upholding the state's right to ban homosexual marriage and that banning homosexual marriage is NOT unequal treatment in the past, they were just joking right? Were they rewriting the constitution then, or now? And no, you should know better than to make that last claim with me.
    And please share with us how many rulings that was? You seem to believe it was some sort of huge number especially in comparison to those rulings that claimed otherwise.

    Nope. You made the claim, wrongly. The SCOTUS does not "rewrite" the Constitution. They uphold the Constitution, usually in support of people's rights (although they have had their instances).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #64
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,251

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    I answered what I thought to be your question.


    1 Going to get interesting if and I say SCOTUS will rule in favor of SSM, and States can literally kiss ass.
    2 I thought Republicans, like Texas were right big on (A)law abiding, (B) punishing & (C)on occasion possibly executing innocent people.
    1, and or which part of 2. I numbered them and added letters to make it easier for ya.
    DP runs wild in Texas- read up on it. Educate yourself.
    Did you miss where I posted "possibly".
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  5. #65
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    None of that even comes within a mile of being proof that man was not guilty. But propagandists against the death penalty really don't care about facts. Falsehoods will do just fine, too, as long as the gullible can be gulled into swallowing them.
    I support the death penalty. But I have researched this case and in accordance with our laws, they executed a man who should not have been found guilty. There was plenty of evidence to show that he should have been given another trial due to the evidence that showed the fire investigator, who was the lead witness in this case, was wrong and there was no actual evidence of arson, as he claimed those marks proved.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #66
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,251

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Well I did that, the first time I asked the question. Your post was #1, my question with the quote was #2. But nice try with the obfuscation.
    DP runs wild in Texas- read up on it. Educate yourself.
    Did you miss where I posted "possibly".
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,538

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, the laws of the state don't have to be "amended" at all to recognize same sex marriage when SCOTUS makes a ruling. Alabama and SC banned interracial marriages in their state constitutions until less than 20 years ago, yet neither state could legally deny an interracial couple a marriage license after the Loving ruling.
    If you are trying to make a point, I don't know what it is. If state marriage laws no longer are constitutional because of a Supreme Court decision, complying with that decision requires states to amend or repeal those marriage laws. Otherwise, they cannot continue to perform marriages. The fact a law for whatever reason may remain on the books after it has become invalid does not make it any less invalid. The provisions in the state constitutions you refer to were unenforceable as soon as Loving was decided.

  8. #68
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Seen
    02-04-16 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    162

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Marriage as a concept predates government as a concept. While there are exceptions to the rule of marriage being between a man and a woman by the very nature of them being exceptions they prove the rule. Throughout the history of man the principle of marriage, and the religious institution of marriage has always been Man to Woman, for the procreation of children. The governmental recognition of this institution is in no way an interference in church and state as the government is allowed to recognize religious institutions.

    As mentioned homosexual couples want the word marriage for the same reason heterosexual couples do, and this is absolutely true. Homosexual couples want their union to be declared as normal as the union between heterosexual couples. They want the government to legislate the moral equivalency of these marriages. As this is in contrast with the history of the concept of marriage it is an attempt to redefine a basic concept in order to alter the morality of a same sex union. While in the legal sense the traditional view of marriage does not own that word, the redefinition of that word to include new groups under its heading is problematic. This would require that marriage not be based on historical concepts but based on the idea that if any grouping of people want to get married they can and are due all protections and benefits under the law. The first issue with this is that it creates a false moral equality between homosexual and heterosexual marriages. But beyond this it creates other issues. Why for instance do those who advocate same sex marriage rail against polygamous marriages. If marriage is not defined as between a man and a woman, why cant one man have multiple wives. On the same topic why cant a man marry any woman, or man of any age.

    There is a reason marriage has held its definition through the ages. Marriage as it is traditionally recognized created a much needed social stabilization. The joining together of a reproductive unit for the purpose of having and supporting offspring created a stable nucleus around which to build a society. This concept over time obtained legal trappings but the very fact that marriage between a homosexual couple is not already an existing concept proves that it is outside the traditional definition of marriage. If it was in fact an equivalent union then an institution would already exist. The very debate shows that it is outside the historical concept of marriage.

    If homosexual couples wish to insure that their spouses are legally entitled to their benefits, or belongings then there are legal procedures that can be instituted for such requirements. It is even possible to endow civil unions with such rights without having to alter the traditional institution of marriage. The problem is homosexual couples are not seeking legal equality they are seeking moral equality which is not something the government can or should try to give anyone.

  9. #69
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    In your opinion.
    I could go all, "it's a fact" on you. But yes, just as your opinion seems to be that the two are tied somehow.

  10. #70
    User mmorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pensacola FL
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    19

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetron View Post
    .
    The problem is homosexual couples are not seeking legal equality they are seeking moral equality which is not something the government can or should try to give anyone.
    Im going have to disagree with this statement... they are seeking equal rights...and for it to be legal, so their partner can have legal rights.
    E Pluribus Unum

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •