Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 233

Thread: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

  1. #161
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Nope. And the founders don't exist today. This is not their time. It is ours. We decide what our Constitution is about. Not men from a time long dead using words that they may have said or even did say.
    Absolutely incorrect. If we today want the constitution to say something it does not, that's what the amendment process is for.

  2. #162
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49,504

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That doesn't make your inaccurate assertion that the SCOTUS commands the US Marshall service, the Coast Guard or the National Guard any more correct.
    You misread.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  3. #163
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49,504

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Pretty much all law has it's base in morality.
    And not all bases are constitutional.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  4. #164
    Living in Gods country



    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,013

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    I don't recall starting a thread here. But in any case, there is no hypocrisy in any of my posts, so there is no need for me to answer anyone's assertions about it--even if they were expressed coherently enough to understand. When you claim I "emphasized the unenforceability of law," I don't know what you are talking about. I think I remarked that a law which has been held unconstitutional is invalid and unenforceable because someone (who knows why) had questioned that. But if so, I was only restating what should have been obvious.

    I support morals laws. I believe, just as most people in every state in this country have believed from the beginning, that promoting majoritarian morality is a legitimate government interest. If most people in a state believe public nudity, prostitution, bigamy, bestiality, mothers marrying their daughters, and so on are immoral and unacceptable, they should be able to make laws prohibiting those things. The view Justice Stevens expressed to the contrary in his dissenting opinion in Bowers v. Hardwick, which Justice Kennedy signed onto in Lawrence, was dead wrong and destructive to our society. I hope one day Justice Ginsburg (whose views I usually disagree with but whose integrity and reasoning I respect) will retire, an originalist justice will be appointed to replace her, and the Court will reverse its position on that.

    Justice Stevens was a maverick who did some damage with his wacky notions when he was on the Court, but most of it can still be undone. He was famously the author of a majority opinion which held that carbon dioxide--you know, that stuff we all exhale with every breath, and that puts the sparkle in our Diet Pepsi--is a "pollutant" within the meaning of the Clean Air Act. As someone who once studied the Clear Air Act and its history pretty thoroughly, I know that is utter nonsense. But it is vintage Stevens.
    Your post went to the outhouse at this point.
    "I support morals laws. I believe, just as most people in every state in this country have believed from the beginning, that promoting majoritarian morality is a legitimate government interest. If most people in a state believe public nudity, prostitution, bigamy, bestiality, mothers marrying their daughters, and so on are immoral and unacceptable, they should be able to make laws prohibiting those things".
    I bolded the 3 points where it went down the tubes.
    Why does your Constitution have a Supreme Court?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  5. #165
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Absolutely incorrect. If we today want the constitution to say something it does not, that's what the amendment process is for.
    The Constitution is vague in many places and its main purpose is to protect the people from the government, including state governments.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Enough said. That's pretty much the equivalent of desiring to see religiously based law.

    I prefer to see the govt stay out of such things where it clearly has no business when there is no demonstrated harm or infringements on others...govt over-reach and intrusion into personal lives is not remotely a goal I'd like to see furthered.

    This isnt really about the law anymore...it's about your personal morals. That's fine. We all have our opinions and beliefs. However I try very hard not to impose mine on others if there's no actual harm or if the imposition is clearly unConstitutional (to me), such as the suppression of personal liberty for no reason.
    Most criminal laws in this country, in the end, reflect the teachings of Christianity about right and wrong. But the fact a state law that makes adultery a crime codifies one of the Ten Commandments, for example, does not mean that law is an unconstitutional intrusion of religion into government.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    So Police misusing and abusing the Law is OK with you as long as it is someone else.
    Not being a statist, I don't feel a need to try to tell the residents of other states how to manage their affairs. If any official violated a law, Louisiana is capable of dealing with the situation.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Your post went to the outhouse at this point.
    "I support morals laws. I believe, just as most people in every state in this country have believed from the beginning, that promoting majoritarian morality is a legitimate government interest. If most people in a state believe public nudity, prostitution, bigamy, bestiality, mothers marrying their daughters, and so on are immoral and unacceptable, they should be able to make laws prohibiting those things".
    I bolded the 3 points where it went down the tubes.
    Why does your Constitution have a Supreme Court?
    Your response is predictable. When an argument irks you, but you don't have enough game to make a coherent answer to it, try to hide the fact by making a lame attempt at an insult.

    I am not sure what peeves you so. Is it that you think state laws against bestiality, bigamy and homosexual incest--or maybe other acts involving sex--are fundamentally unfair? Maybe you think the fact most people consider those acts immoral and unacceptable is not a good enough reason to make them illegal.

    Your last question is gibberish. I don't have my own constitution, nor does anyone else. Article III of the Constitution of the United States creates a Supreme Court.

  9. #169
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    49,504

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Most criminal laws in this country, in the end, reflect the teachings of Christianity about right and wrong. But the fact a state law that makes adultery a crime codifies one of the Ten Commandments, for example, does not mean that law is an unconstitutional intrusion of religion into government.
    It does if that's the only demonstrable basis for the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Well, certainly the customer is not an N-word.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You know her?

  10. #170
    Living in Gods country



    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,013

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Not being a statist, I don't feel a need to try to tell the residents of other states how to manage their affairs. If any official violated a law, Louisiana is capable of dealing with the situation.
    Good morning
    From the news reports they cannot. It is being used to intimidate people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •