Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 233

Thread: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

  1. #151
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,396

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, and even the justices realize Roe v Wade was constitutionally groundless. As has been explained to you in this very thread.

    To answer your first question, the same way we catch folks breaking other laws when they are trying to hide their illegal activities behind closed doors. By your argument it should be perfectly legal to beat your children as long as no one sees you doing it and you don't leave too many bruises.
    *laugh* No, it is not groundless and no, not remotely 'justified'...altho anyone can have an 'explanation.'

    Of course you cant beat your children...that infringes on their rights. *Generally* (not always) an infringement on rights can be verified by that individual or representatives or the public, etc. But it's stupid and as I mentioned, IMO unConstitutional to have laws that harm no one and cannot be verified or enforced **without due process and the invasion of privacy.** Very presumptuous and unnecessary on the part of the govt and nothing any real American would ever want...or need.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #152
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    *laugh* No, it is not groundless and no, not remotely 'justified'...altho anyone can have an 'explanation.'
    What do you mean about 'justified', not sure where that entered the picture, certainly wasn't from my post that you quoted as answering. And yes, there is no privacy amendment to the constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Of course you cant beat your children...that infringes on their rights. *Generally* (not always) an infringement on rights can be verified by that individual or representatives or the public, etc. But it's stupid and as I mentioned, IMO unConstitutional to have laws that harm no one and cannot be verified or enforced **without due process and the invasion of privacy.** Very presumptuous and unnecessary on the part of the govt and nothing any real American would ever want...or need.
    No, you can't, not legally. You so obviously don't understand what due process is, that element of your argument is totally bogus. And no, it's not unconstitutional to have laws against so-called "victimless" crimes. There are quite a few of them in fact.

    And again, that criminals hide their crimes behind closed doors does not render the law invalid or unconstitutional.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,396

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    What do you mean about 'justified', not sure where that entered the picture, certainly wasn't from my post that you quoted as answering. And yes, there is no privacy amendment to the constitution.


    No, you can't, not legally. You so obviously don't understand what due process is, that element of your argument is totally bogus. And no, it's not unconstitutional to have laws against so-called "victimless" crimes. There are quite a few of them in fact.

    And again, that criminals hide their crimes behind closed doors does not render the law invalid or unconstitutional.

    Wrong word choice then. Not 'justifiable' but not compelling, legally.

    Of course there are unConstitutional laws...we are discussing some of them. It doesnt mean they would stand up to Constitutional scrutiny, just that they havent been challenged, on the right grounds. Like prostitution...not enough people are interested in challenging that.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #154
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Wrong word choice then. Not 'justifiable' but not compelling, legally.

    Of course there are unConstitutional laws...we are discussing some of them. It doesnt mean they would stand up to Constitutional scrutiny, just that they havent been challenged, on the right grounds. Like prostitution...not enough people are interested in challenging that.
    I'd say there have been quite a few very powerful folks in our society, a lot in our government then and now, who would have no problem with prostitution being legal, would happily prefer it. I'm sure this number has included supreme court justices, then and now. Laws against prostitution are in no way unconstitutional.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,396

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I'd say there have been quite a few very powerful folks in our society, a lot in our government then and now, who would have no problem with prostitution being legal, would happily prefer it. I'm sure this number has included supreme court justices, then and now. Laws against prostitution are in no way unconstitutional.
    They are an unnecessary infringement on personal liberty and pursuit of happiness. It does no harm (the enforcement of it does however.) How true Americans can not object to that, I dont understand. It is the people that choose to force their moral perspectives and/or beliefs on others for their own ends...not the good of society.

    I agree tho, there is no consistency in this principle...hence laws allowing sale and consumption of alcohol but preventing the same for pot.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #156
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetron View Post
    Religious ceremonies are valid without a license, what one does not acquire without a license is recognition by the state. This is a common misunderstanding. The institution of marriage is a religious one, to gain state benefits from this religious institution one must obtain a marriage license. That is the method by which the state has chosen to recognize the religious institution of marriage.
    Fact 1: The state recognizes marriages based on performance of a religious ceremony.

    Fact 2: Same-sex couples have been receiving religious marriages for decades.

    Fact 3: Failure to equally recognize valid religious ceremonies performed by a religious organization and not the same ceremony performed by another religoius organization would be a violation of the 1st Amendment rights of the couples not recognized equally.



    So you support religoius same-sex marriages performed by religious organizations that sanction such things being recognized equally by the government right?



    >>>>

  7. #157
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Not "some founders" the actual ones that crafted the provision. And the intent was clearly written out in the Federalist Papers. I also explained why the court's overreach was a rewriting of the constitution. Indefinite patent is what the court's decision achieved.
    It can't be a "rewriting of the Constitution" if the Constitution doesn't actually say that.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #158
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, they weren't. The feds didn't have the grant of power to ban sodomy. However, the state and local does, and such laws existed all throughout the lifetime of the founders. Had they been unconstitutional, don't you think they would have known, having written the constitution?
    Nope. And the founders don't exist today. This is not their time. It is ours. We decide what our Constitution is about. Not men from a time long dead using words that they may have said or even did say.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #159
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Didn't read the whole thing did you? The feds don't, but the states do.
    No, the states don't. They have to abide by the US Constitution, and those things guaranteed to be protected by it. Individual rights override state rights in most cases. The states cannot restrict individual rights just because they think something is "wrong" or "icky".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #160
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tex. bill would bar local officials from issuing same-sex-marriage licenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They are an unnecessary infringement on personal liberty and pursuit of happiness. It does no harm (the enforcement of it does however.) How true Americans can not object to that, I dont understand. It is the people that choose to force their moral perspectives and/or beliefs on others for their own ends...not the good of society.

    I agree tho, there is no consistency in this principle...hence laws allowing sale and consumption of alcohol but preventing the same for pot.
    Pretty much all law has it's base in morality.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •