Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 80

Thread: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

  1. #51
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i cant give you one, because i have not studied that issue, because i have much other reading to do, concerning constitutional law.

    but i can tell you i have always been for free trade, however that trade must be equal trade from both sides.
    Ok, fair enough, Thank you.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #52
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I will admit that I don't know enough about the bill to know where I stand. I've read some of this thread and I still don't know enough about this bill to comment. I don't think any others do either. Everyone seems to have a grip on the partisan nature of the bill however. I honestly don't trust democrats, republicans or Obama. If someone can talk about the merits of the bill, good or bad, it would be interesting.

    Republicans may like fast track because they understand that Obama has a short time left in office and eventually it will open some doors for future presidents. The devil is in the details though and it's the details I would be concerned about.
    To the bolded. I've thought the same thing myself as I've tried to figure why the republicans would do that. I understand easily why republicans like US corporate enhancing trade deals, and why they hate unions and social safety nets, but fast track to Obama. It's as you said, by the time this deal becomes law and begins being implemented, Obama's long history.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #53
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    01-21-17 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,541
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i will make it simple what i mean....

    your threads have become the james d. hill of threads, because you make post... to make one politician party worst then other, thats your MO.....and no one has to think hard on the one you wish to demonize..

    my point had to do with the comment you made which i highlighted, which you were trying to put forth that democrats were doing the right thing, and that things should be out in the open or nothing.

    my point was... republicans want to keep things from the public, but both parties do it, as when the ACA was being formed, [and i showed you links, which you acted as thought none existed]....which i also stated you would not accept and would reject as you have.

    because the truth for you exist only in your post.

    again.... this among others are peddling post for a party.
    I didnt bring anything about partisanship up in my op other than the OP title from the NY Times. If you read into the article it clearly indicates that many Democrats voted for the motion while many didnt thus splitting the party. And what are you talking about "the truth"? You were the one that was called out on a bull**** example.
    Again this is called ****ing reality, members of the Democratic party blocked a procedural motion to give Obama fast track authority to authorize the TPP.
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  4. #54
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I didnt bring anything about partisanship up in my op other than the OP title from the NY Times. If you read into the article it clearly indicates that many Democrats voted for the motion while many didnt thus splitting the party. And what are you talking about "the truth"? You were the one that was called out on a bull**** example.
    Again this is called ****ing reality, members of the Democratic party blocked a procedural motion to give Obama fast track authority to authorize the TPP.
    Yep, and I'm glad they did. But like Helix, its joy with pause, I'm still concerned that it becomes law in the end.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #55
    Gradualist
    TheDemSocialist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in the Midwest
    Last Seen
    01-21-17 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,541
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yep, and I'm glad they did. But like Helix, its joy with pause, I'm still concerned that it becomes law in the end.
    I agree. Unless there is more public attention brought to the issue it will unfortunately pan out just like it is now.
    Just a democratic-socialist in the heartland of America.CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR(BLOG)HERE "Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression, and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,209

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I will admit that I don't know enough about the bill to know where I stand. I've read some of this thread and I still don't know enough about this bill to comment. I don't think any others do either. Everyone seems to have a grip on the partisan nature of the bill however. I honestly don't trust democrats, republicans or Obama. If someone can talk about the merits of the bill, good or bad, it would be interesting.

    Republicans may like fast track because they understand that Obama has a short time left in office and eventually it will open some doors for future presidents. The devil is in the details though and it's the details I would be concerned about.
    That's of course the main problem with fast track authority. All ANYONE not a corporate lobbyist (for the most part) knows is what's been leaked by various sources. It's impossible to really know whether to support the bill or not because we and most of Congress can't see the damn thing, but the POTUS wants fast track authority on this giant black hole.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 09:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's of course the main problem with fast track authority. All ANYONE not a corporate lobbyist (for the most part) knows is what's been leaked by various sources. It's impossible to really know whether to support the bill or not because we and most of Congress can't see the damn thing, but the POTUS wants fast track authority on this giant black hole.
    And republicans that wouldn't trust Obama if they asked him what time it is, suddenly have the trust to give him "decider" authority on TPP!!!!!!!!!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,446

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's a bit cryptic, but it fits with the ideology of almost all republicans, big business, the Chamber of Commerce, multinationals, etc. I'm not sure what your point is here.

    What is indicates to me is the socialist etc. label for Obama is ridiculous. He's a middle of the road, centrist, neo-liberal on economic matters like pretty much the last several POTUS's. Not much different than Bush or Clinton.

    I'm glad democrats and republicans stopped fast track on a bill negotiated in secret by lobbyists for the behemoth corporate interests. It's like asking Congress to take a pig in a poke, which I'm vehemently opposed to on this trade deal.
    It isn't cryptic at all. Why would a president who constantly spouts he is for the American worker sign a bill that has a huge negative effect on American companies?

    I have to find it but one article had them opposing it because it would allow foreign nations to sue the US government for actions that undermine investment "expectations" and hurt their companies. what? since when do we allow this to happen?

    It wouldn't even be in US courts but before the World Bank and the UN which have anti-American views to begin with.
    there also were some other big negatives in the trade bill that will hurt American people and America itself.

    however when you consider the fact that Obama is an anti-colonialist then well it fits right in line of why he would give other countries power over America
    instead of protecting America's sovereignty.

    the other sticking point in the bill is the regulation on currency manipulation that Asian countries like China pull to keep a favored value over the dollar.
    that should be part of any trade agreement that we are going to deal on even terms as far as currency goes.

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,446

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    That's of course the main problem with fast track authority. All ANYONE not a corporate lobbyist (for the most part) knows is what's been leaked by various sources. It's impossible to really know whether to support the bill or not because we and most of Congress can't see the damn thing, but the POTUS wants fast track authority on this giant black hole.
    the problem with fast track is that means that congress can only approve it or not. they can't amend the trade agreement like they normally would be able to.

  10. #60
    Professor
    Citizen.Seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    01-18-17 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,967

    Re: Senate Democrats Block Progress on Obama’s Trade Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    And republicans that wouldn't trust Obama if they asked him what time it is, suddenly have the trust to give him "decider" authority on TPP!!!!!!!!!
    That's a good point. I have to admit, I am not familar with the details of TPP, but anything that checks this out of control presidency has to be a good thing. Hence, the POTUS should not be given even more power in the form of fast track authority.

    I applaud the democrats for having wisdom in this case, or at least acting in a wise manner for whatever reason, and chastise the republicans for lacking it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •