Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 91

Thread: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

  1. #11
    Sage
    Chomsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Third Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    19,652

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Sounds like Ms, Clinton knows how to cut-out red tape & make government more efficient!

    Hire her!

    :p
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

    The 10 Commandments of Logic - (Courtesy of Abbazorkzog Blog)

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    So Mitt Romney was unfit to be president? I agree.
    Can show he was given the same favoritism?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #13
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    For a country that prides itself on First Amendment free speech rights, I'm at a loss to understand why the State Department would have any say in whether or not a private citizen gets to make a speech anytime, anywhere. Is this something to do with being a former President? If so, why? Jimmy Carter seemed to travel and bloviate at will, slamming the US and its leaders frequently, and I don't think he always or frequently got State Department approval.

    This sounds really odd to me. Billy Boy is a dick, but he should have the same first amendment rights as anyone.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,274

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    First, Bill didn't have to get clearance for those speeches. He was a private citizen. He did it to help his wife avoid the appearance impropriety. It failed, of course.

    And four days seems reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if it got special consideration. Not because of his wife, but because he is a former PRESIDENT.

    Hillary has done all sorts of shady crap. This isn't one of them.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    This would have more legs if you could show that the process of approving similar requests took longer or was out of the norm?

    Tim-
    Heya Hicup. Here I can help with that.



    During Hillary Rodham Clinton's tenure as the top U.S. diplomat, lawyers and other ethics officials in the State Department's Office of the Legal Adviser gave near-blanket approval to at least 330 requests for Bill Clinton's appearance at speeches, dinners and events both in the U.S. and around the globe. More than 220 paid events earned the family nearly $50 million, according to a review of State Department documents and Hillary Clinton's financial disclosure forms by The Associated Press.

    Now, as Hillary Clinton moves forward with her presidential campaign, the ease with which her husband was repeatedly cleared to address companies and governments around the world highlights the potential ethical complications that are likely to intensify if she becomes the country's next president.

    The State Department also green-lighted requests by several foreign governments to hire the former president, despite the potential complications for his wife's international diplomacy.....snip~

    US approved most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days | Fox News


    "Honest" Hillary doesn't bat an eye at taking care of hers and herself by any means. What a fine example of integrity!! She should be President.

    /sarcasm off


    Yeah it goes with the other info that came out in the last few days. Grim had a thread up on it and naturally more can be added to it. When it concerns the Clintons grifting the country and foreign donors.


    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1064616034

  7. #17
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Hicup. Here I can help with that.



    During Hillary Rodham Clinton's tenure as the top U.S. diplomat, lawyers and other ethics officials in the State Department's Office of the Legal Adviser gave near-blanket approval to at least 330 requests for Bill Clinton's appearance at speeches, dinners and events both in the U.S. and around the globe. More than 220 paid events earned the family nearly $50 million, according to a review of State Department documents and Hillary Clinton's financial disclosure forms by The Associated Press.

    Now, as Hillary Clinton moves forward with her presidential campaign, the ease with which her husband was repeatedly cleared to address companies and governments around the world highlights the potential ethical complications that are likely to intensify if she becomes the country's next president.

    The State Department also green-lighted requests by several foreign governments to hire the former president, despite the potential complications for his wife's international diplomacy.....snip~

    US approved most Bill Clinton speech requests within days
    That doesn't speak to Tims request whatsoever. Can it be substantiated that the SD usually denies most such requests?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That doesn't speak to Tims request whatsoever. Can it be substantiated that the SD usually denies most such requests?
    It doesn't give a specific, but it does point out to at least 330 requests which they know 220 of those paid events earned the family 50 million. Note how it didn't say just Bill or a Foundation.

    Oh and 330 requests for one individual is out of the norm. Even if he was a former president.
    Last edited by MMC; 05-12-15 at 01:54 PM.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,206

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    It plays to her integrity and suitability as a Presidential candidate.
    Nah, it only "plays" to show your hatred toward anything not neocon.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: State Department OK'd most Bill Clinton speech requests within days

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    It doesn't give a specific, but it does point out to at least 330 requests which they know 220 of those paid events earned the family 50 million. Note how it didn't say just Bill or a Foundation.

    Oh and 330 requests for one individual is out of the norm. Even if he was a former president.
    Yes I know and agree that it seems problematic. I'm just saying that Tim has a point. Unless this can be shown to be in contrast with normal SD protocol, it falls under the category of partisan bull****. And, as I already pointed out, the partisan left wouldn't indict her on this even if a Quid pro quo was produced. IOW, as usual, partisan politics at its finest.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •