Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 99

Thread: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

  1. #41
    Pussy Power
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    That is what Middleground seemed to be implying. For it is immaterial that you be gay or not to the objective argument. But what his information said is that your judgment of the facts is dominated by your having had such a hard time as a homosexual. That would have fit and explained why your opinion is so biased on this point, where otherwise you seem to have quite balanced views.

    Ahhhhhh, no. Andy Pandy is no pansy. I am sure that he has--at times in his life--had to deal with not being treated fairly, been made fun of and/or harassed because of his sexual orientation. How do I know? Because he's about my age and my generation has not exactly been 'queer friendly.' Having said that, Andy is no worse for wear and it seems that he is very comfortable in his own skin.

    Fortunately, through education and enlightenment, we, as a society have thankfully progressed. If you want to be one of those closed-minded individuals that will be extinct like dinosaurs in the near future, that is your prerogative. But it's only going to make you look foolish.
    Putin has certainly grabbed Trump by the pussy. Payback is a bitch.

  2. #42
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    39,928

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Not embarrassed at all. Demographically, I'm not sure how significant the gay portion of society is. They are noisy that's for sure.
    Why does that matter?
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma disapproves
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    24,419

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Ahhhhhh, no. Andy Pandy is no pansy. I am sure that he has--at times in his life--had to deal with not being treated fairly, been made fun of and/or harassed because of his sexual orientation. How do I know? Because he's about my age and my generation has not exactly been 'queer friendly.' Having said that, Andy is no worse for wear and it seems that he is very comfortable in his own skin.

    Fortunately, through education and enlightenment, we, as a society have thankfully progressed. If you want to be one of those closed-minded individuals that will be extinct like dinosaurs in the near future, that is your prerogative. But it's only going to make you look foolish.
    Thanks MG! All you say is true. Growing up in the Sixties and Seventies and starting out in adult life in the Eighties - the Dark Ages of modern British history - I certainly came up against homophobia, my own included, and seem to have emerged on the other side pretty happy with life. A bit of struggle is the making of anyone.

    You're also correct to say that the world is a very different place for LGBT people, in the West at least, than it was 30+ years ago. Thank God/Allah/Yahweh! Our societies have progressed enormously, but that progress didn't happen by chance, or through the munificence of the rulers. It has been progress that has taken a lot of work and sacrifice on the part of a lot of committed and really pissed-off LGBT people and their straight supporters.

    There will always be the dinosaurs who resent every gain we make. Who take every pride parade as a personal affront, every legal adjustment as an attack on their privilege. That's inevitable, but we are winning. The proof of that I experience every day living as an out gay man in a tiny, traditional, farming village in an undeveloped corner of Europe where once upon I time I might have been run out of town, regularly assaulted or at the very least shunned by my neighbours. It's testament to the success of our struggle and the innate goodness of all people that the recognition that we don't all have to be a cipher of one particular model of humanity has come to be the predominant mind-set. Hurrah!

    JoG seems to be of an age, mind-set and ideology that rejects these changes. That's sad for her, not for me!
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma disapproves
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    24,419

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    You're not just "welcoming" it, you're using it as a stick to be beat the US down with - even though gay marriage is legal in more US states than European ones.
    Okay, you got me! I wasn't attacking the US in general, just those parts of it that are virulently anti-Cuban, and resistently anti-gay, but you're right I let my rhetoric overwhelm my reason. It's a fair cop.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #45
    Pussy Power
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,502
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Thanks MG! All you say is true. Growing up in the Sixties and Seventies and starting out in adult life in the Eighties - the Dark Ages of modern British history - I certainly came up against homophobia, my own included, and seem to have emerged on the other side pretty happy with life. A bit of struggle is the making of anyone.

    You're also correct to say that the world is a very different place for LGBT people, in the West at least, than it was 30+ years ago. Thank God/Allah/Yahweh! Our societies have progressed enormously, but that progress didn't happen by chance, or through the munificence of the rulers. It has been progress that has taken a lot of work and sacrifice on the part of a lot of committed and really pissed-off LGBT people and their straight supporters.

    There will always be the dinosaurs who resent every gain we make. Who take every pride parade as a personal affront, every legal adjustment as an attack on their privilege. That's inevitable, but we are winning. The proof of that I experience every day living as an out gay man in a tiny, traditional, farming village in an undeveloped corner of Europe where once upon I time I might have been run out of town, regularly assaulted or at the very least shunned by my neighbours. It's testament to the success of our struggle and the innate goodness of all people that the recognition that we don't all have to be a cipher of one particular model of humanity has come to be the predominant mind-set. Hurrah!

    JoG seems to be of an age, mind-set and ideology that rejects these changes. That's sad for her, not for me!

    I wish I could thank this ten million times.

    There will always be the dinosaurs who resent every gain we make. Who take every pride parade as a personal affront, every legal adjustment as an attack on their privilege.
    I know. Some here at DP think the Pride Parades happen because:
    1) Gays are so freakin flamboyant. They should just keep to themselves!
    2) Gays are so in your face they want to display their gayness to us!
    3) Gays have the parade so they can change orientation of innocent people!



    It does not take an Einstein to deduce that the parades started as a way of healing. They started as a way of accepting, including personal acceptance. They started as a way to show pride and to help others--including straight family and friends--who need to.
    Putin has certainly grabbed Trump by the pussy. Payback is a bitch.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,926

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Ahhhhhh, no. Andy Pandy is no pansy. I am sure that he has--at times in his life--had to deal with not being treated fairly, been made fun of and/or harassed because of his sexual orientation. How do I know? Because he's about my age and my generation has not exactly been 'queer friendly.' Having said that, Andy is no worse for wear and it seems that he is very comfortable in his own skin.

    Fortunately, through education and enlightenment, we, as a society have thankfully progressed. If you want to be one of those closed-minded individuals that will be extinct like dinosaurs in the near future, that is your prerogative. But it's only going to make you look foolish.
    I am afraid in all honesty that it is not I that is "closed-minded" and "look(s) foolish". You see, I am quite libertarian and in sexual things have always been and am extremely open, free minded and actively interested. But, you see, when a group of people start restricting the rights of others and using the state to take away Constitutional rights so that they can live their own lust and for spite, as is often obviously the driver in the arguments here, well they become a group that must be stopped. And this is exactly, what the gay rights lobby has done and their behavior is to the opposite of the freedom our society likes to think of itself as symbolizing and viciously against the values that have stood us well as a nation.
    You can have sex with anyone you want and their dog, for all I care. But when you want to have money for non reproductive affairs or want the courts to force the religious, which I am not, to participate in activities that they consider vile crime against their God? Nope. That is, what the Inquisition did, bigots all through history have done or Mao or the Nazis. That is an absolute and revolting attitude and must be fought.

  7. #47
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,271

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    There seems to be great headway being made in Cuba by LGBT rights activists in promoting equal treatment for the country's long-oppressed sexual minorities. The indefatigable activism of some very brave people, plus a welcome softening and modernising approach from the régime seems to be allowing a lot of progress to happen in a very short time. I wonder whether the great Satan of human rights abusers will pass SSM into nationwide law before the home of the free does.

    Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal


    How embarrassed would you be if Cuba beat your own home country in its much improved treatment of a significant demographic minority?
    Beat my own home country? I didn't realize this was a competition.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #48
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,271

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    There was a time when the United States lead the world when it came to human rights. We were the beacon on the hill. Sadly, due primarily to the radical right wing's influence in our political system, a large portion of the world has surpassed us. This would be no different. The US will soon catch up to the rest of the world in terms of freedom and equality.
    I think SSM should be legal in the USA because I think any consenting adults has the right to marry whomever he or she wants, and however many of them he or she wants to marry, too. SSM, polygamy, whatever. Marriage is a highly personal decision and no adult should be prevented from it.

    That said, what are the other freedoms that the "right wing" has prevented us from exercising, and what other freedoms should the right wing support that will make us "catch up to the rest of the world in terms of freedom and equality"?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,926

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You see, that just about sums up my thoughts on you. I wonder what kind of trauma you've suffered at the hands of LGBT people that makes you so obsessed with the matter, despite it not really having much bearing on your life as an elderly, heterosexual lady. In other threads, on other topics, you appear to be quite sane and rational. The fact that you appear to post in the sex and sexuality forum far more than I do (652 vs. 423 posts) suggests you have a bit of a hang-up on the subject.
    Actually, I had had only good experiences with LGBT people until recently. There are lots of them in the crowd I run with and I participated for a while. For all I care, you can hump your dog. Then their lobby started demanding things that are against the core values of freedom to get other peoples money to support their lifestyles and to get the state to repress religious people and force them to participate or support, what they consider vile crimes against their God. Since then, I still am friendly with the people.

    But the movement has overshot and has become an enemy of our basic freedoms. And as the posts are in this forum, it is here, that the mischief is being wrought and must therefore be countered. Because as long as people demand that the rights of others must be limited, so guy like you can feel better, someone must speak up and name the bigots by their name.

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma disapproves
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    24,419

    Re: Cuba gay pride calls for same-sex marriage to become legal

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    But, you see, when a group of people start restricting the rights of others and using the state to take away Constitutional rights
    Which constitutional rights has the progress of LGBT rights taken away from anyone?

    so that they can live their own lust and for spite, as is often obviously the driver in the arguments here, well they become a group that must be stopped. And this is exactly, what the gay rights lobby has done and their behavior is to the opposite of the freedom our society likes to think of itself as symbolizing and viciously against the values that have stood us well as a nation.
    What nation are you referring to? Britain? Spain? USA?

    You can have sex with anyone you want and their dog, for all I care. But when you want to have money for non reproductive affairs
    What payments are these? I must be owed a fortune!

    or want the courts to force the religious, which I am not, to participate in activities that they consider vile crime against their God?
    No one has ever been forced to participate in homosexuality, as far as I'm aware. Apart from those who attend SM parties, of course.

    Nope. That is, what the Inquisition did, bigots all through history have done or Mao or the Nazis. That is an absolute and revolting attitude and must be fought.
    I see, so LGBT activists are the equivalent of Nazi Maoists, are they?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •