Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 499

Thread: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28,115

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Did you really want to go there?

    RealClearPolitics - Congressional Job Approval

    And as to what President Obama has done to improve the economy - he's held the Republicans at-bay, fighting them tooth & nail, using every tool at his disposal, even using executive action & pushing to the edges of constitutional limits.

    In 2009 the American people & the world experienced first-hand the catastrophic results of Republican economic policy. This voter will do his best to see we are never subject to that nightmare again.

    Why would anyone want to return to Republican economic reign?
    history revisionism won't help you. Obama has done nothing to help the economy and in fact most business say they are not expanding or hiring because of Obama and the policies of the left.

    Umm no the banking crisis was due to the liberal mindset that banks should lend money to people that can't afford the loan. it was expanded under Clinton, and when bush attempted and republican in congress attempted to get Freddie and fannie under control chris dodd and barney frank both stopped them from doing it.

    other liberals went on their typical rant of how republicans hate poor people nonsense. so chris dodd and barney frank are the largest two people responsible for the recession.

    yes we would it beats the mediocrity and stagnation that we have lived with under Obama.

  2. #82
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,937

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    the fundamentals of this country's economy are strong.
    Are you out of your mind?

    Currently, 10% of all mortgages are for more than the underlying asset is worth (it was more than 1/3 when JM made the statement).

    When John McCain made that comment, shadow banks were breaking the buck.

    Narrow view doesn't begin to describe your take.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #83
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,012

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    It amazes me that the same people have the same argument every month when the job report comes out lol
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #84
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,995

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    no you still don't get it.

    in the U3 number if you are not looking for work or are a discouraged worker and haven't looked for work in 4 weeks you are not counted.
    They are counted....where'd you get the idea thery're not? They're not classified as Unemployed, though because Unemployed has always been defined as not working but looking for work (unless on temporary layoff waiting to go back to your old job). In 1967 the time limit of 4 weeks and requirement to actually be available to work.

    even though he is unemployed the U3 number does not count him as unemployed.
    No, they're NOT unemployed because they're not trying to work. That's the definition of the term. You can't just change it willy-nilly.

    DA60 is correct. if everyone stopped looking for work according to the U3 number unemployment would be 0% even though they are still unemployed.
    No, if everyone stopped looking for work there would be zero unemployed, because job search is part of the definition!

    that is why the U3 number is a joke. the U5 and U6 numbers give a much better picture of the unemployment rate than the U3 does.
    What are you trying to measure? If you want to know about long term unemployment, the U1 is best.
    For Involuntary Unemployment: the U2
    If you want to measure how hard it is to get a job, the U3 does that best.
    If you want to know about people who might be available if they think they have a chance alongside those actually trying, then the U4 is best.
    U5 is how much potentially available labor is not being used.
    And U6 is how much potentially availalble labor is not being used to its fullest.

    The U3 is best at measuring actual current labor market conditions.
    The U5 and U6 are better at measuring potential.

    But out of curiousity....If someone looked for work in March/April and did not get a job by mid/April, that tells me it was difficult for him/her to get a job, and the more people that's true for, the worse the labor market is.

    But if someone last looked for work last August, that tells me nothing at all about how hard it is to get a job in April.

    So why do you think including people who had a zero percent chance of getting a job tells you more about how hard it is to get a job? Y

    es, I know some of them did have a chance if an application they had put in months before was finally seen, but since that cannot be measured, we have to go with the snapshot of each month.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  5. #85
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    23,169
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    then you can't use it for political distortions.
    Agreed, and hence why it'll never be. What would the politicians do if they couldn't use this to turn the electorate against each other?
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  6. #86
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    01-30-17 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,410

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
    Perhaps.

    But markets only work efficiently when well-regulated.

    This isn't as easy as, "Free everything, and let what may, happen". (not saying you claimed this)

    And the subject of regulation is where much of the debate lies.
    If by "well-regulated" you mean as little as possible, then I agree wholeheartedly. But what many people ignore is the source and main beneficiaries of much of the regulation forced on business, namely big business. Big business tells Congress or their state/local governments that regulation is important to protect the safety of customers and integrity of business. That's how we end up with medallions for taxi cabs costing hundreds of thousands of dollars, license requirements to teach someone how to braid hair or give a horse a massage, regulations forbidding having employees if you run a home business, or price-fixing schemes for limousine companies. These are just a few real-world examples off the top of my head that were passed in the name of protecting the customer, but in reality only protect the incumbent businesses. For every example I can think of, there are a thousand that I missed.
    “The most important single central fact about a free market is that no exchange takes place unless both parties benefit.” - Milton Friedman

  7. #87
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,864

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    No, Visbek, nothing you've posted confirms that Barack Obama is responsible for the creation of private sector jobs.
    Or, you're willfully ignoring the evidence.

    The simplified version of the very complex facts is: If Bush 43, Paulson, Bernanke, Obama and others had done nothing, there is little doubt we'd be in far worse shape today. The economy as a whole and unemployment would've hit a deeper trough, and specifically the auto industry would be decimated. Lots of people from a variety of political persuasions get partial credit both for causing the crisis, and helping the recovery. That includes Obama, who in particular was instrumental in helping the auto industry.

    You should also keep in mind that we are in a consumer economy. The more people unemployed, and for longer time, has longer-term effects. Companies pull back on manufacturing and inventories, because people are buying less; this in turn causes them to reduce staff. More staff reductions mean yet more reductions in manufacturing, inventory, and thus staff; it's a vicious cycle. A stimulus can help blunt the worst effects of a recession. This, in turn, helps explain some of what we see in employment figures.


    And no, I don't have a narrow interpretation of economics. Saving jobs isn't creating private sector jobs. And the auto bailouts were Bush's idea anyway....
    lol... Yes, Bush 43 gave them a $13bn loan from TARP, he gets some credit. The total loan amount was around $80bn; the restructuring also obviously took place during, and was largely designed by, the Obama administration.

    Saving auto industry jobs is definitely saving private sector jobs; getting people back to work faster helped the economy recover faster. Expand your horizons.


    The reality is the economy was going to come back after 2008 for the reasons John McCain said - the fundamentals of this country's economy are strong.
    Sorry, but that's a bit absurd. An economy with strong fundamentals can still be crippled by a financial crisis; if the damage hadn't been stopped, at a minimum unemployment would be much worse.


    During the bulk of Bush 43's Presidency the unemployment rates were very good. That wasn't because of anything he did.
    It was -- in part. His policies were one of many factors that allowed the bubble to get so big. Part and parcel of that is that the bubble drove down unemployment for a few years. It's not a good way to lower unemployment rates, and he definitely wasn't solely responsible, but yes his policies had an effect on employment rates.

  8. #88
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    Are you out of your mind?

    Currently, 10% of all mortgages are for more than the underlying asset is worth (it was more than 1/3 when JM made the statement).

    When John McCain made that comment, shadow banks were breaking the buck.

    Narrow view doesn't begin to describe your take.
    So? What does that have to do with what I posted?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #89
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Or, you're willfully ignoring the evidence.

    The simplified version of the very complex facts is: If Bush 43, Paulson, Bernanke, Obama and others had done nothing, there is little doubt we'd be in far worse shape today. The economy as a whole and unemployment would've hit a deeper trough, and specifically the auto industry would be decimated. Lots of people from a variety of political persuasions get partial credit both for causing the crisis, and helping the recovery. That includes Obama, who in particular was instrumental in helping the auto industry.

    You should also keep in mind that we are in a consumer economy. The more people unemployed, and for longer time, has longer-term effects. Companies pull back on manufacturing and inventories, because people are buying less; this in turn causes them to reduce staff. More staff reductions mean yet more reductions in manufacturing, inventory, and thus staff; it's a vicious cycle. A stimulus can help blunt the worst effects of a recession. This, in turn, helps explain some of what we see in employment figures.



    lol... Yes, Bush 43 gave them a $13bn loan from TARP, he gets some credit. The total loan amount was around $80bn; the restructuring also obviously took place during, and was largely designed by, the Obama administration.

    Saving auto industry jobs is definitely saving private sector jobs; getting people back to work faster helped the economy recover faster. Expand your horizons.



    Sorry, but that's a bit absurd. An economy with strong fundamentals can still be crippled by a financial crisis; if the damage hadn't been stopped, at a minimum unemployment would be much worse.



    It was -- in part. His policies were one of many factors that allowed the bubble to get so big. Part and parcel of that is that the bubble drove down unemployment for a few years. It's not a good way to lower unemployment rates, and he definitely wasn't solely responsible, but yes his policies had an effect on employment rates.
    If they had all done nothing, the economy would be in worse shape. Great. I agree.

    Now what does that have to do with specific policies that were implemented by Barack Obama that are responsible for creating private sector jobs and lowering the unemployment rate?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #90
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not really. A pool of hungry workers willing to work for peanuts is exactly what the wealthy want.
    Source, please? And when you say the wealthy, I assume you're including all of the wealthy Democrats, too...right?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •