Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 499

Thread: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

  1. #71
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,838

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Can you post a link that shows how many private jobs the auto bailouts (I assume the ones that Bush 43 proposed in December of 2008) created?

    Can you post a link to show me how many private sector jobs the ACA created? TARP? Fed policies?
    Auto bailout saved 1.5 million U.S. jobs -study | Reuters

    CBO: Stimulus added up to 3.3M jobs - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

    Obamacare Is Spurring Startups and Creating Jobs - Bloomberg Business

    No, CBO did not say Obamacare will kill 2 million jobs - The Washington Post
    John Boehner says Obamacare is
    The ACA: Losing Jobs vs. Choosing Not to Work

    Yes, proof IS a powerful tool.

    It's difficult to quantify the benefits of preventing a total meltdown of the global finance system (TARP, Fed/Treasury policies, stress tests etc). However, you can look at the Great Depression -- an instance where those mechanisms did not exist or failed to do what they should -- and count the number of jobs lost.

  2. #72
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Auto bailout saved 1.5 million U.S. jobs -study | Reuters

    CBO: Stimulus added up to 3.3M jobs - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com

    Obamacare Is Spurring Startups and Creating Jobs - Bloomberg Business

    No, CBO did not say Obamacare will kill 2 million jobs - The Washington Post
    John Boehner says Obamacare is
    The ACA: Losing Jobs vs. Choosing Not to Work

    Yes, proof IS a powerful tool.

    It's difficult to quantify the benefits of preventing a total meltdown of the global finance system (TARP, Fed/Treasury policies, stress tests etc). However, you can look at the Great Depression -- an instance where those mechanisms did not exist or failed to do what they should -- and count the number of jobs lost.
    None of that explains why the unemployment rate is dropping today.

    Can you please post a link that shows what policies Obama has implemented that have lowered the unemployment rate over the time of his Presidency?

    By the way, you should read the first link a little more carefully. "Savings jobs" doesn't lower the unemployment rate. Savings jobs prevents the unemployment rate from increasing.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #73
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,937

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Its far better than the standard replies that come from the left.
    Standard replies from the left? Your position is entirely normative. When someone points to a rising dollar, bad weather, reduction in capEx from oil, etc..., you reply with the same. When someone posts that job gains were weak, you reply with the same. When someone posts about record low continuing unemployment claims, you reply with the same.

    See the pattern? You are a partisan hack.

    That is to ignore the shrinking Middle class , the growing wealth disparity and the Millions of struggling American families because your more loyal to your Political affiliation than you are to the truth.
    I don't see many people ignoring these issues. And for the record, i am not a democrat. I just oppose extremism to the fullest. It just so happens that the Republican party is dominated by extremist kooks.

    It actually takes reality into account and doesn't ignore the plight of Millions of Americans who are struggling to make ends meet in a disastrous Obama economy.
    You've yet to provide any policy that would help alleviate these issues. Harping on large scale macro policy due to changes in micro-structural economic evolution is beyond obnoxious. Contrary to the popular dogmatic beliefs among you and your fellow extremists, a flat tax or "fair tax" would only benefit high income earners (those with already hefty savings rates). If you study economics in a serious light, you don't call on macro-policy to address structural issues.

    The Democrat party would much rather push false narratives about economic recoveries than acknowledge that their policies have anything to do with our economic issues.
    Sorry, but GDP and employment growth is very much real. The false narratives arise from those who wish to nit-pick generally positive economic data, desperately hoping to find an imperfection.

    They're not above ignoring outright large populations of impoverished citizens. A look at inner cities across America is a great example of that.
    Again, you can't address this with macro-policy.

    So someone needs to be honest enough to call BS on their pretend recovery and since we know you're incapable of that I am left with no choice but to expose whats essentially propaganda disguised as a objective economic analysis.
    You cannot refute my objective economic analysis because it is entirely data dependent. I promise that when a politician proposes nationalizing industry, or pushes for ridiculous regulation, i'll be one of the first to speak against it. Your premise is based around economic reality not meeting your expectations. A moderate fiscal response, even with accommodative monetary policy, was never going to bring a recovery on par with the average break to the upside. Yes, Obama and his advisers (as well as the majority of the financial and economic community) underestimated the severity of the crisis. This was reflective from their stimulus proposal. Could the ARRA have been more targeted and stimulative? Absolutely! It just goes to show perfection is only a requisite for the opposition who is not currently occupying the White House. Conservatives have taken it to an extreme that is likely to have long term consequences.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #74
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,838

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    1) Perhaps. Though the auto industry is not that big of an employer overall.
    1.5 million jobs is about 1% of the US workforce, and a pretty decent number of jobs.


    Ford would've survived no matter what.
    Incorrect. If GM and Chrysler tanked, they would have taken a large number of suppliers with them; it would have tanked huge swaths of the US auto industry. That's why Ford was right there in DC, pushing Congress to bail out its competitors.


    2) Explain
    CBO: Stimulus added up to 3.3M jobs - Josh Boak - POLITICO.com


    3) Bush gets credit for this.
    He gets PARTIAL credit for this, and for listening to Paulson & Bernanke. However, almost all TARP activity was during Obama's term. Oh, and it almost broke even.

    4) Not his policies.
    He chose Geithner; he could've pushed out or leaned on Bernanke. Firing wouldn't have gone over well, but he could've done it.

    5) Need actual evidence.
    Let me google that for you


    6) Need actual evidence.
    Of what? Are you seriously trying to tell me that you believe the US economy has tanked since Obama raised top marginal tax rates by (iirc) 4% a year or so ago?

  5. #75
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,838

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    None of that explains why the unemployment rate is dropping today.
    lol.... Yes, keeping the economy from completely tanking a few years ago, and adding millions of jobs, has nothing to do with the subsequent and steady gains in jobs since then.


    Can you please post a link that shows what policies Obama has implemented that have lowered the unemployment rate over the time of his Presidency?
    I already have. Please try to keep up.


    By the way, you should read the first link a little more carefully. "Savings jobs" doesn't lower the unemployment rate. Savings jobs prevents the unemployment rate from increasing.
    lol

    I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed by your extremely and unjustifiably narrow interpretation of economics.

  6. #76
    Tavern Bartender
    Kinky tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-02-17 @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,185

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    lol.... Yes, keeping the economy from completely tanking a few years ago, and adding millions of jobs, has nothing to do with the subsequent and steady gains in jobs since then.



    I already have. Please try to keep up.



    lol

    I'm sorry, but I'm not impressed by your extremely and unjustifiably narrow interpretation of economics.
    No, Visbek, nothing you've posted confirms that Barack Obama is responsible for the creation of private sector jobs.

    And no, I don't have a narrow interpretation of economics. Saving jobs isn't creating private sector jobs. And the auto bailouts were Bush's idea anyway, so if any President deserves that credit (which they don't), that would be Bush, not Obama.

    The reality is the economy was going to come back after 2008 for the reasons John McCain said - the fundamentals of this country's economy are strong. Through this country's history as long as we have been keeping records the unemployment rates have gone up and down. During the bulk of Bush 43's Presidency the unemployment rates were very good. That wasn't because of anything he did.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #77
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,322

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'd love to. Perhaps you could list some of the economy boosting legislative and/or regulatory initiatives President Obama has pushed for and championed that show how good he's been for the economy so I could concede your point. Otherwise, you're just blowing smoke.
    How about the same ones that you guys kept claiming were going to wreck the economy?

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  8. #78
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,412

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Why? Republicans are the party of the rich. The worse shape the economy is in, the worse their portfolios and 401K and home values are. So, in a nutshell, no.
    Not really. A pool of hungry workers willing to work for peanuts is exactly what the wealthy want.

  9. #79
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hyde Park
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,937

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    1) Perhaps. Though the auto industry is not that big of an employer overall. Ford would've survived no matter what.
    Sorry, but 4% of the economy is not something to take lightly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    2) Explain
    Shouldn't have to explain. Growth in government expenditures funded by deficits increases GDP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    3) Bush gets credit for this.
    If anything, Hank Paulson gets credit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    4) Not his policies.
    He could have nominated a hawkish Fed president as was desired by Republicans.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    In U.S., Uninsured Rate Sinks to 13.4% in Second Quarter[/url]) Need actual evidence.
    Of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayton3 View Post
    In U.S., Uninsured Rate Sinks to 13.4% in Second Quarter[/url]) Need actual evidence.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #80
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,322

    re: U.S. Unemployment Falls to Lowest Level Since May 2008[W:489, 497]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    None of that explains why the unemployment rate is dropping today.

    Can you please post a link that shows what policies Obama has implemented that have lowered the unemployment rate over the time of his Presidency?

    By the way, you should read the first link a little more carefully. "Savings jobs" doesn't lower the unemployment rate. Savings jobs prevents the unemployment rate from increasing.

    You can start with the "job killing polices" republicans kept speaking of all these years.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •