Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

  1. #11
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,966

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Who compensates the Americans, whose assets were confiscated by the dictatorship?
    Get over it. Who compensates the victims of the dictatorship before Castro?
    PeteEU

  2. #12
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,966

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Does that mean to compensate mobsters as well?
    That would be at least 50% of the compensation. And if you add big corporations, who acted like mobsters and colonial slave masters in Cuba, then you are closer to 90%.
    PeteEU

  3. #13
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Meh, Cuba's only 90 miles from the U.S. That's not a bad boat ride, unless you're prone to seasickness.
    Well, if I lived in Miami, sure. But from where I live, my flight to Havana would be quicker than my flight to Miami, and I'd still have a ferry ride.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #14
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    We are Obama! Huh?
    What's your point? You just really don't want to see Cuba opened up, hate Obama, think that US taxpayers should make compensation, all the above....?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,936

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    What's your point? You just really don't want to see Cuba opened up, hate Obama, think that US taxpayers should make compensation, all the above....?
    I think Obama has done better than I had feared and would have liked Cuba welcomed back into a normal relationship after they gave up supporting our enemies and returned the loot. If the government wants to normalize the relationship without recompensation, however? Yep. It would be up thto us to pay up.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,936

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Get over it. Who compensates the victims of the dictatorship before Castro?
    Take it to court. We carried on the Cold War with that dictatorship and that dictatorship harmed our citizens. That was one of the reasons given by successive governments. Yep. If the Castros keep the loot, our government should compensate the ccitizens.

  7. #17
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Meh, Cuba's only 90 miles from the U.S. That's not a bad boat ride, unless you're prone to seasickness.
    Probably more than 200 miles, since Key West is too remote and away from highways, so more likely Miami. Havana is the only major port in Cuba. 200 miles in those waters and on a ferry would be very bumpy.

  8. #18
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,966

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Take it to court. We carried on the Cold War with that dictatorship and that dictatorship harmed our citizens. That was one of the reasons given by successive governments. Yep. If the Castros keep the loot, our government should compensate the ccitizens.
    What court? US courts have zero jurisdiction over Cuba, and any "investments" in the US by Cuba have been seized long ago.
    PeteEU

  9. #19
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I think Obama has done better than I had feared and would have liked Cuba welcomed back into a normal relationship after they gave up supporting our enemies and returned the loot. If the government wants to normalize the relationship without recompensation, however? Yep. It would be up thto us to pay up.
    Knock yourself out.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35,936

    Re: U.S. government has authorized commercial ferry service to Cuba

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    What court? US courts have zero jurisdiction over Cuba, and any "investments" in the US by Cuba have been seized long ago.
    Court? That was because you were thinking of compensation for pre Castro damages. I leave that up to you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •