Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 490

Thread: Shot NYPD cop dies

  1. #401
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 08:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    29,117

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    And it clearly shows your homicide is 4.7 times ours with nearly three quarters of those involving the use of a firearm. As I've said already if you were to remove the firearms killings from your overall homicide statistics your homicide rate would be pretty similar to that of most other developed countries
    And our population is 4.9 times that of yours. So it would seem that your homocide rates parrallel ours, if not higher....your argument is not apples to apples.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #402
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,092

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    So, if all guns disapeared tomorrow, our homicide rate would be as yours?
    I suspect it would be pretty similar to other developed nations yes. Do you have any reason you think it wouldn't ?

  3. #403
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,092

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And our population is 4.9 times that of yours. So it would seem that your homocide rates parrallel ours, if not higher....your argument is not apples to apples.
    Thats was a per capita figure per 100,000 not by overall population size

  4. #404
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    72,119

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I suspect it would be pretty similar to other developed nations yes. Do you have any reason you think it wouldn't ?



    *sigh* I sure do, I even pre-empted an answer for you in that post you cherry picked.
    If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight like a lion.

  5. #405
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 08:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    29,117

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Thats a per capita figure per 100,000
    No, England has approximately 62 million people, the US has 307 million....simple math.

    However, as a legal gun owner, I don't have a problem with any idea that would actually work getting illegal guns out of criminals hands. But you are not offering viable solutions to that. Only blathering about MY legally owned weapons that will hurt no one unjustly.

    Case in point. Chicago has arguably stricter gun laws than you do in England, yet their homocide rate is higher than or comparable to Atlanta where guns are easier to obtain. Tell us why.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #406
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,092

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    *sigh* I sure do, I even pre-empted an answer for you in that post you cherry picked.
    And why do you think it would be different then ?

  7. #407
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,092

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, England has approximately 62 million people, the US has 307 million....simple math.
    Look up what the term 'per capita' means and get back to me US = 4.7 homicides per 100,000 UK= 1.0 homicides per 100,000

    However, as a legal gun owner, I don't have a problem with any idea that would actually work getting illegal guns out of criminals hands. But you are not offering viable solutions to that. Only blathering about MY legally owned weapons that will hurt no one unjustly.
    What if you legally sell that gun on and then it gets sold on again to a criminal ? There really is no way to stop that happening

    Case in point. Chicago has arguably stricter gun laws than you do in England, yet their homocide rate is higher than or comparable to Atlanta where guns are easier to obtain. Tell us why.
    There is no state in the US with a gun death rate anywhere near as low as that in the UK nor any state with comparable gun laws. Hawaii gets the closest but thats still ten times higher
    Last edited by flogger; 05-12-15 at 01:12 PM.

  8. #408
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    72,119

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    And why do you think it would be different then ?
    That's non-responsive.


    you really seem to not have a very deep view on this matter other than "derp, guns bad".
    If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight like a lion.

  9. #409
    Sage
    flogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wokingham, England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,092

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    That's non-responsive.
    you really seem to not have a very deep view on this matter other than "derp, guns bad".
    You inferred the situation in the US would be different to other countries were there no guns, I simply asked you why you thought that

  10. #410
    u mad, snowflake?
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    TITANPOINTE, NYC
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    72,119

    Re: Shot NYPD cop dies

    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    You inferred the situation in the US would be different to other countries were there no guns, I simply asked you why you thought that

    For the same reason that idiots in england riot at soccer games, and we can barely stay awake for one.


    You have cultural differences that you fail to factor into this. It's superficial at best.
    If you build an army of 100 lions and their leader is a dog, in any fight, the lions will die like a dog. But if you build an army of 100 dogs and their leader is a lion, all dogs will fight like a lion.

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •